Green Tea And First Trimester

MRS_HJO

Reaction score
Soooo, I'm a big green tea drinker, and I was reading a book I bought today called, "Your pregnancy week by week" and it specifically says avoid green tea in the first trimester. Apparently EGCG (found in green tea) blocks your ability to absorb folic acid, which is most important during the first 3-5 weeks when neural defects are most likely to occur.

I have had at least 2-3 green tea lattes in the last 2 weeks (one of which was this weekend) all before I found out I was pregnant. I am freaking out. If I had known, I never would have had it! I called my doctor, and the nurse said, not to worry... It's a bigger deal if you are drinking it everyday at 3-4 cups a day. She said at my first appointment, the dr. will give me a list of "can't haves"... I told her 8 weeks is a little late to let us know!!!! Damage is already done. Everything you read online says to avoid it COMPLETELY.

Just thought I would share this in case any of you are green tea drinkers, and didn't know this like me. I'm hoping and praying that the couple cups I had are not enough to do any damage, but it was def. drank within the first 3-4 weeks, when the baby's plates that will be the spine and brain are developing.

Thoughts?! Please tell me to stop freaking out!!!!

Dont worry about it. I didn't even know I was pregnant with my son until I was 10 weeks along. I wasn't taking a prenatal or anything. Even if the couple green teas that you drank slowed down your absorption I'm sure everything is fine. Also, I don't know for sure, but I would almost take bets that Japanese women drink it during pregnancy. I now need to google to find out :haha:

This might make you feel better https://www.pregnancy-calendars.org/foods/green-tea-during-pregnancy.html

Thank you Crystal!!!! You have made me feel loads better. It's like you wait so long to have a baby, and you want to do everything right, and when you find out you messed up along the way, it's total freak out!

Yes, according to this book, Japanese women drink green tea throughout their pregnancy. Look at all those healthy Japanese babies being born! :flower:

https://books.google.com/books?id=d...anese women drink pregnancy green tea&f=false

I think everything will be okay. I'm an avid tea drinker myself, green, jasmine and peppermint, and you read some articles where "it's okay to drink a bit a day" and others that are like, "avoid completely." It's enough to drive anyone insane. :wacko:

Here's a good website that you've probably come across on foods/herbs to avoid: https://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancyhealth/foodstoavoid.html
https://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art24325.asp

It's so true...how did all the women do it before the internet. We drive ourselves insane today! I had a few starbucks lattes during my TWW and went through a similar panic with the caffeine.

I've found that a nice substitute for something warm has been warm water and lemon. I also have an occasional peppermint tea to help with digestion, but leave don't let the bag steep as much.

Crystal, thanks for the links :)

I think everything will be okay. I'm an avid tea drinker myself, green, jasmine and peppermint, and you read some articles where "it's okay to drink a bit a day" and others that are like, "avoid completely." It's enough to drive anyone insane. :wacko:

Here's a good website that you've probably come across on foods/herbs to avoid: https://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancyhealth/foodstoavoid.html
https://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art24325.asp

It's so true...how did all the women do it before the internet. We drive ourselves insane today! I had a few starbucks lattes during my TWW and went through a similar panic with the caffeine.

I've found that a nice substitute for something warm has been warm water and lemon. I also have an occasional peppermint tea to help with digestion, but leave don't let the bag steep as much.

Crystal, thanks for the links :)

Hey K!

Well, thanks for the reassurance. If I had known, I never would have drank them. But as my Dr said, as long as you are not drinking it 3 times a day, you should be okay. I hope so! Thanks for the links. Going to check them out now!

I'm sure there's so much milk in the lattes that it makes the active ingredient very weak. Definitely don't worry about it. Like the link said, I'm sure so many women in Japan drink a glass daily and their babies are perfectly fine. Similarly in Italy, I'm sure a ton of women continue to enjoy a cappuccino or two once in a while and everything is okay.

Even one of the herbs listed, fennel, is an ingredient in an Italian bread my mom ate a ton of during her pregnancy and it says to avoid it. At this point, I'm at a loss :shrug: Will continue to tread with caution...but it can definitely be draining at times.

But definitely think all is okay with the green tea lattes that you had a few weeks ago :)

Well I had one this last Friday! But, thank you for making me feel better about the situation. It is completely draining trying to be as healthy as possible. For instance, I am eating a lot more, and I can tell I have gained weight. I know you're supposed to eat more calories a day when you are pregnant, but I'm so scared I'm overdoing it. At the same time, I don't feel good at all if I go too long without eating. Everyone told me I would freak out at the weight gain... I just didn't think it would happen so soon! My arms are even getting big! Aaaahhhh!

Don't worry, everything in moderation.

There were days when I forgot to take my folic acid or wasn't sure if I had, baby brain hits you early on LOL

OMG, are you freakin' kiddin me!! I'm 5 weeks 2 days today and been drinking a cup of green tea a day for weeks (well most days) :wacko: Sometimes 2 cups in a day!

I have actually been replacing normal tea a bit with green because I thought it was better for me!! :shrug:

To be honest, I think these days there is too much of this "oh this is so good for you" then a change of heart to "actually no, forget that, avoid it completely"!! Whatever happened in days gone by when there was no knowledge of folic acid at all, most :baby:s were still born fine and mums probably ate what the hell they liked!

I'm a firm believer in 'everything in moderation' :thumbup:

I'm sure there's so much milk in the lattes that it makes the active ingredient very weak. Definitely don't worry about it. Like the link said, I'm sure so many women in Japan drink a glass daily and their babies are perfectly fine. Similarly in Italy, I'm sure a ton of women continue to enjoy a cappuccino or two once in a while and everything is okay.

Even one of the herbs listed, fennel, is an ingredient in an Italian bread my mom ate a ton of during her pregnancy and it says to avoid it. At this point, I'm at a loss :shrug: Will continue to tread with caution...but it can definitely be draining at times.

But definitely think all is okay with the green tea lattes that you had a few weeks ago :)
You guys would be surprised how much less paranoid people are in other places. I used to live in The Netherlands and a few of my American friends we pregnant at the time. My friend's doctor told her no more than 5 cups of coffee per day. The Dutch love their coffee! Also, he told her (I think starting in the second tri?) she could have 1-2 glasses of wine per week.

i don't know how America got so stressed out!, but it certainly isn't good for us.

I know, we have lost it. And they all think we are crazy too :haha:

Thank you for sharing. as someone who has had 9 miscarriages over the past 20 years and as a coffee drinker formally and as a current green tea addict, I take this VERY seriously. Possibly just had IB this month, quiting tea today.
Kim

Thank you for sharing. as someone who has had 9 miscarriages over the past 20 years and as a coffee drinker formally and as a current green tea addict, I take this VERY seriously. Possibly just had IB this month, quiting tea today.
Kim

I'm also a big green and white tea drinker, as well as herbal teas and I asked my MW today if there was anything specific to stay away from, she said everything in moderation. There is caffeine in green tea so she suggested staying away for the first trimester but drinking it before you find out isn't really anything to worry about. I also asked about fennel because it's in one of my favorite teas for nausea called "Eaters Digest" and she said it's fine to have a cup or two a day, especially if it makes you feel better. I felt a lot better after that!

Its amazing our spieces was ever able to procreate before the internet and all the damn stuff that one day its good for you and the next day its bad for you. They did have tons of miscarraiges back then though.... But yea I get tired of this AHH DONT EAT THAT and then someone else says meh, its ok ... I think so much of medical and scientific "fact" is just personalized interpretations.

I'm with the "moderation" thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"