Grooming before drs appt.

Pulirula

Reaction score
Kinda an odd subject but I'm just asking lol. Do your drs tell you to shave before an appt? I usually keep things groomed down there but my usual dr yelled at me for shaving because it can lead to infection. But I'm seeing a different Dr so idk if I should leave it or shave? Do drs really care?

I don't think doctors really care lol. I'm sure they've seen it all. I usually groom down there regularly in the summer but I let it go in the winter. When I've had winter appointments that involved exams I never had a doctor complain to me about it, and I've seen several over the course of my pregnancies.

They don't care. I don't shave down there, the hair serves a purpose to keep dirt and stuff away from your openings.

Last pregnancy, I got a pelvic at my first appt. This pregnancy (different provider), I kept my pants on. I like it that way.

The only time they liked me shaved was for my c-section, and just at the top part, near my bikini line. They took care of that themselves :D

I don't think they care either. I always keep everything shaved and no one's ever said a word...plus it would be kinda weird if they did...

I always make sure to keep things maintained down there. If you want to keep the length short, you could buy a cheap pair of men's hair clippers and use that on a short setting.

I guess I can see how infection would be an issue, but your Dr shouldn't shame or "yell" at you. I have nipple and genital piercings and lots of tattoos. If my Dr tried to make me feel bad about any of it, I'd find a new one.

I can't tell you how much I stressed over this in my first pregnancy. Really the bigger part for me is making sure everything is clean. It used to really bug me if I showered in the morning, worked, then had an afternoon appointment... Yuck.

Oh yes, clean is important! It would probably bug some, but I shower at night so at my appointment tomorrow I will have slept since my shower, lol.

I've never shaved down there, I can't imagine how itchy I'd be when it grows back lol! Not to mention I'd probably cut myself! I do keep it trimmed though as can't stand it all bushy lol!

I honestly didn't think doctors even noticed! They see so many different lady bits, ones that look all different before you even get onto the hairiness, they just want to get in and get out haha... And I think removing the hair BARELY if at all increases your chances of infection. Mines been shaved right down since I was a teenager, (except in late pregnancy where I couldn't reach/be bothered) and no doctor or midwife ever seemed to notice even.

I can't tell you how much I stressed over this in my first pregnancy. Really the bigger part for me is making sure everything is clean. It used to really bug me if I showered in the morning, worked, then had an afternoon appointment... Yuck.

I was the exact same way!

I use trimmers every 3 weeks or so, trim it really short and let it grow out, I cant use a razor and shave it down to the skin because I get horrible razor bumps! I try to trim it a week or so before my appointment so its not too short not too long. A little added thing I do during pregnancy is pluck or epilate my belly hairs. They seem to darken up during pregnancy and once my stomach starts to stretch out they stick straight up, so i always pluck them a day or two before my appointments to I'm not embarrassed when they measure and do the Doppler and stuff. Honestly though, I dont think they care!

So glad that the doctors here don't go anywhere are bits unless there's a legitimate reason lol. There's no medically necessary reason to exam a woman especially with fingers unless there's a reason to beleive in early labour, bleeding, waters broken, progress in labour (even then it's still arguable whether exams are needed in labour). I'm a trained midwife and the only time we exam women in the antenatal period is for a stretch and sweep at no earlier than 40 weeks. I didn't get examined until In labour. Hopefully American doctors will catch on and see it's completely unnecessary and gives very limited information. A woman could have a closed cervix one day and then delivered the next.

I don't actually get this I'm in UK and we have no internal examinations until labour or having a sweep what do docs actually check for? And why?

During my first pregnancy the only time they did any thing internal (Im in the US) was a vaginal ultrasound really early in my pregnancy since I had two previous miscarriages. That is how I saw my daughter the first time and saw the heartbeat. After that once I was past that stage it was all external until I was in the hospital to give birth. Then they did internal exams to check how dilated my cervix was.

As far as grooming- I shave when I think about it, I hate to admit but when I sneeze sometimes I have a little incontinence issue. If I leave the hair long- no matter how many times I clean myself or showers or baths I swear I can smell urine. So I shave and then its easier to clean myself if I sneeze etc. If the doctor has an issue with it then too bad for them. LOL Im uncomfortable enough as it is me morning sickness, fatigue etc. I don't need to be worrying if I smell bad!

Shave. Definitely shave. In early pregnancy you have no excuse not to have well maintained and clean lady bits. It's alright for those lady's who are fair and fine but for those who are dark and course it's a must. Ps. Try kengal ball weight. Help to tone pelvic floor. Magic little things. Work a treat.

I don't actually get this I'm in UK and we have no internal examinations until labour or having a sweep what do docs actually check for? And why?

We get scans earlier and external ultrasounds don't always show when things are that small in there. Then when you get to your last 4-6 weeks they start checking for dilation and thinning

I'd hope my doctor didn't notice to honest! I don't really care why they think anyway. I get regular bikini waxes as I've always been a swimmer and the costumes are not forgiving! I've relaxed over pregnancy as I've been too sick to keep up swimming sadly but try go every couple months! Then I trim to keep the remaining hair short. Personal preference, I find it easier to keep clean neat and tidy down there! If you want to shave, go ahead. There is no risk to baby from not having hair down there, the mucus plug will do a perfectly adequate job!

My practitioners have seen me with all sorts of groomed & non-groomed & 9+ months pregnant half-groomed because I can't see and can barely reach... That last one makes my OH laugh, but drs MWs and nurses (dozens of them over the years) haven't batted an eye or said a word. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"