group b strep, can anyone give me info please!!!!

sarahdeanna

mam of 3, expecting no.4
Reaction score
hiya all,iv just found out today that im carrying group b strep and im scared stiff now, i dont really know much about it other than if the baby gets it, it can cause her to be really ill :( im 28 weeks with my 3rd girl and wasnt shown with group b strep until this pregnancy, just wondering if anyone can give me info about it please, TIA xxxx

As I recall, you and the baby will be given antibiotics at delivery. Screening for it is important because it is treatable if diagnosed. I think the issues come in when you are not diagnosed prior to delivery....everything should be fine :).

Tracy

ok so, I had this with both pregnancys, now worries:) as soon as you go in labor you get antibiotics in your IV you won't even notice <3 promise! And don't read about it on the internet all those "cases" are horrible things that happen only if left undiagnosed.

You are in safe hands now because you KNOW that you have it. The babies that suffer are those from mums who dont know. Its a relatively common thing, about 20-30% women carry it. It can cause problems to baby after delivery sometimes, therefore antibiotics are given IV to the woman in labour or before section.

I have had it in all my pregnancies and had antibiotics at time of section last time. This will be the plan this time also.

If you are otherwise having a normal pregnancy, it should have very little impact at all. Please try not to worry.

thanks all for all your comments, i feel alot better now, seeing my midwife tomorrow so i will make sure they all know, thats my main concern is that when im in labour they are aware of it :) thanks agen :) xxxxxxxxxxxxx

It comes and goes, doesn't always stay in our bodies.

I was swabbed during labour with my first to see if my waters had started to go and got the results back a few days later and they discovered that I had group B strep. My daughter was fine, showed no signs of any infection etc.. This time around even though I'm a known carrier I won't be tested for it again and I also won't be given the antibiotics in labour as my daughter was unaffected (seems strange to me! They should at least swab me to see! But it also depends on which consultant is on duty when I actually go into labour).

So you might not have to have the antibiotics, but they'll make sure your little girl is fine and she probably will be :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->