Group b strep - consultant led?

Freya

Toddler and baby
Reaction score
I'm soooo cross. Had my booking appointment today at midwifes, and was told things had changed since I had my DD 2 years ago.

Firstly she said if my waters break early again (like they did with DD) that I would have 24 hours before they induce, apposed to the 48 hours they 'let you' previously..... Well, with DD I told them go bollocks, and I was right. DD was born healthy and well and in her own time. So if it happens again, this wont be happening unless there is GOOD reason such as my baby is in distress. The NICE guidelines state baby needs to be in arms within 72 hours of waters breaking.....

ANYhooooo. Next she asks me if I had group B strep last time.... said I didn't know, didn't think anyone took swab during labour.... She asked me to find out because this will mean I will be need consultant led care! WTF! Please explain why 2 years ago they did NOT test routinely for group b strep? Apparently I will be tested at 34 weeks and the results will determine where I birth! Errrrmmmm, that'll be me looking into refusing this, or stuffing garlic where the sun doesn't shine to reverse the effects.

NOT loving this early attempt to medically control my birth, and this was a midwife at a Birth centre. I now feel like changing my plans to have a home birth (unless dire need for hospitalisation) and getting on with it without them!!!!! However I bet they wont authorise it if there is a group b strep possibility. Arrrgggghhhh, I'm livid.

Am rambling, am angry, need to breath! Has anyone got any adivce on Group B Strep and how I can achieve my natural birth IF I do have it/had it previously?

xxxxx

They cant 'not authorise' your home birth if that's what you want to do. The are obliged to support your wishes.

Here's some great info about GBS which is helpful even of you're not planning a home birth.

They cant 'not authorise' your home birth if that's what you want to do. The are obliged to support your wishes.

Here's some great info about GBS which is helpful even of you're not planning a home birth.

Thanks for posting! I duplicated the thread to post in 1st tri and asked for your help! Good to know it isn't a case of having 'authorisation' for home birth! I'm all for reducing risk to baby, but keen not to have a cascade of intervention - I know where that may lead. Getting 'tooled'up is the answer arm myself with gbs info and fire at will.

Xxx

I'm going through the same sort of issue having had a swab taken and it coming up positive for GBS. I'm still planning my homebirth and the MWs are supportive of that but I need to draw up a comprehensive birth plan. At no time has there been any indication of consultant led care! Until the mw who gave me my results found out I'm planning a home birth she said I'd just need to go in for iv antibiotics when labour starts.

Have a look in the recent pages of the homebirth thread because I've been going through all this and there are links. But here's some info.

I'd you have a swab at 35-37 weeks and it comes up negative the recommendation is for NO special action whatsoever.
If you have a swab positive then or at an earlier date (and no swab done then) the guidelines are that you be OFFERED iv antibiotics at the start of labour.
There are some factors that increase the risk of the baby being infected (I've listed them in the other thread but am on my phone now so can't access easily). One of these is waters going and delivery not taking place within 18 hours so the recommendation in this case is for you to receive the antibiotics (not that that means you have to); you can arrange for these to be administered at home.

My plan is to go ahead with my home birth. If my waters go again I'll accept antibiotics at home after 18 hours. If the baby's born before then and so I don't have them I won't accept them on a precautionary basis for my baby unless of course there are signs of infection. 90% of GBS infection in babies occurs within the first 12 hours so monitoring after birth is essential. There is late onset from 7 days for which there is no evidence that antibiotics in labour will make any difference.

Remember one third of men and women carry GBS in their gut and it's part of their normal flora. One quarter of women carry it in their vagina. The vast majority of these never know and give birth just fine.

Thank you so much for your post, I'll go and search back through the pages of this section to follow up the GBS posts made. You've made me feel so much better about still going for a homebirth. I posted this in 1st tri, but the responses I'm getting are that I should follow medical advice as they know what they are doing...... hmmmm.... yes, but an assessment of risk is needed and a sensible and realistic balanced approached required.

Really hope you have a speedy and relaxed birth at home! xxx

I was GBS+ and when my waters leaked for 72 hours (I didn't realize it was that), I was hooked up to an IV, immediately induced, and yeah... my birth story shows the disasters that followed!

Anyways, NOT the way I recommend letting it go. Have you ever read Ina May's Guide to (Natural) Childbirth? It has a section on GBS+

Here is a good read:
https://www.homebirth.org.uk/gbs.htm

^ That's my main link. Maybe we need a GBS homebirth support thread, stick the links and guidelines and things in the first post and it can be a resource and a place for support chat too. I know I need it! I'll make something later when I am on the pc. Fingers crossed when the time comes I'll be able to post a success story!

Aliss, what a fantastic link, thank you so much for posting it.
Peanutbean, I think you're right, a permenant reference thread for support around GBS would be a great idea. It's going to come up a lot more I think as more and more counties across the UK start to screen for it in pregnancy.

As always, thanks girls! xxxx

I think you'll find there is generally a slightly different mindset on this board to the regular tris. I say that with the greatest respect for EVERYONE on BnB obviously but you might find a slightly more objective approach to things like GBS etc over here. The idea of a simple home birth can be too much for many members. It's easy to forget when we are all talking on here that we are still in a minority of 1-2% of women when we choose to birth at home. x

FYI I started this: https://www.babyandbump.com/home-natural-birthing/504819-group-b-strep-support-thread.html

I asked for it to go sticky but it hasn't. Not sure if it'll just take a while or if it's not suitable. :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->