Group B Strep question

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Second Trimester' started by jacs, Nov 16, 2011.

1. jacs

jacs Mum of 2

Hi everyone,

I have been told that a urine sample from my last mw appointment showed a mix of bacteria including strep B. I have had another sample submitted for testing. Has anyone had this happen?
    I guess I'm thinking that if it was in the first one, why do they need a second sample?
    I have also commited the sin of googling strep B, so I think I'm maybe just getting a little panicky:wacko:.

Jxx

2. babyoneill

babyoneill mother to Amber and Lexie and Jack

what is it ? xx

3. twilliamssbt

twilliamssbt Well-Known Member

I worked iN Microbiology till I had to retire chuck. What that means is that a few mixed bacteria, very common especially if sample includes the first few drops as these tend to be contamination, along with a majority growth of Group B strep.

As you probably found when googling, midwives and docs need to know if you are carrying group B strep during pregnancy so that you can be given treatment at delivery and baby will be screened with swabs for any strep present on them. It can be serious for babies once delivered, so treatment is necessary asap if they also carry it.

You may also be asked for a vaginal swab, to check for Group B strep there too.

They will hope that you either have just a normal mixed flora which is usually not significant or a purer growth of group B strep on your repeat urine sample.

4. absmum2be

absmum2be Well-Known Member

I've got strep b.. They found it on a vaginal swab, it's scary but it's really good they know about it :). xx

5. xAmiixLouisex

xAmiixLouisex Mommy! <3

If they know about it, you just have to have anti biotics through a drip during labour. It's mainly serious/dangerous if they don't know you have it and aren't treated. So, it's good they've caught it now.

6. helsurf

helsurf Well-Known Member

I had group b strep with my first pregnancy, and made the mistake of googling it too, I was really scared!! I read that it's only really a problem if baby is premature so I relaxed a bit, then I went into labour at 30 weeks ( nothing to do with the group b strep) and I was terrified again, I told them when I got to the hospital and they put me on antibiotics throughout the labour! My son was born and other than being tiny and having to go to Nicu due to prematurity he was absolutely fine! Had no problems from the strep at all!

So try not to worry Hun, the good thing is that they know about it and will put you on antibiotics if nececcesary during labour,

Xxx

7. jacs

jacs Mum of 2

Thank you so much for the replies. twilliamssbt - that makes sense, thank you! I just couldn't see why another sample was needed, but it's much clearer now.

So glad your LO was OK helsurf, very reassuring to hear from all you people who have/have had this to worry about!

babyoneill - as you can tell I am no expert, but strep B is a bacteria that is really common in the digestive tract and vagina. It can come and go, and usually has no effect whatsoever on an adult. The problem is that at the point of labour/birth, the bacteria can be swallowed by baby, and since they have basically no immune system, it can sometimes result in infections such as meningitis or pneumonia. If they know you've got it, the hospital give antibiotics to the mother during labour, which then reaches baby and hopefully prevents any infections.

8. Mother Hen

Mother Hen Well-Known Member

My midwife told me that the NHS does not routinely test for it anymore (at least not in my area). However, she said they can do a swab and send it off privately. She said it wasn't expensive and she did recommend having it done. She will do the swabs at one of my normal midwife appointments and send it off for me. She said the results only take a day or two.

She advised to have the swabs done at about 35 weeks because it comes and goes and there is no use in testing for it any earlier. Basically, you don't want the bacteria to be there when you give birth vaginally. It's treated easily with tablets (antibiotics, I think?).

She said often babies are not affected, but when they are, it's disastrous. That's enough for me! I'm having the swabs! It consists of a vaginal and a rectal swab.