Group b strep treatment DURING pregnancy?

Zou

Reaction score
I wondered if anyone's ever heard of this. I had a swab taken last week to check for infection down there after some weird discharge. No infection was found but it showed that I have high levels of group b strep. I've done a lot of research into it the last few days. My doctor prescribed me some antibiotics as my levels were high and if it's very bad it can get through your cervix some how and cause stillbirth/premature labour. My midwife however said it's pointless treating it during pregnancy because even if it goes it can come back in a few weeks. She said she'd never heard of it causing any harm during pregnancy only during labour so I'd have to have antibiotics during labour through IV. They pretty much left it up to me what to do. I've decided to take the antibiotics this week to try and at least reduce the levels if there's the slightest risk of stillbirth or premature labour. I do feel a bit uneasy taking antibiotics when they might not even do anything though and after the midwife said there was no need though.

I know this is quite complex but does anyone have any advice?

well, i have group B strep too. i found out when i was getting tested for BV when i was 15 weeks pregnant. they treated me for Bv with Flagyl antibiotics but not for strep B.

what wer your symptoms girls? im worried about this why dont they offer this test at apts like they do for other checks when they take bloods :(

I had group B strep in my first pregnancy. There were never any symptoms though which is why they routinely test for it here in Canada(the US i think too). I was never offered any treatment before labor. My doctor told me it was only harmful to the baby if I had it and it wasnt caught before labor and I wasnt given the IV antibiotics. I never had any problems with it and during labor I just had the IV antibiotics and Ava was fine too. I was still able to get up, walk around, bath ect with the IV.

I will be tested for it again later in this pregnancy but I was told since I had it last time I more then likely will this time. 1 in 4 women have it and dont know unless test.

Any other questions just ask.

do you think it would be safe to self test at home? im only 21 weeks so got a while until im 36 odd weeks. odd that they dont do it via routine in the uk.

do you think it would be safe to self test at home? im only 21 weeks so got a while until im 36 odd weeks. odd that they dont do it via routine in the uk.

Im not even sure how a home test works. I didnt know there was one. Its honestly not going to hurt you to wait until 36 weeks to get tested. My doctor told me I probably had group B strep all along they just never caught it until I was test at 34 weeks and it never caused me any problems. I however dont think it would be UNsafe to test t home. If it puts your mind at ease for weather you have it or not.

Thanks :) I'm glad you were still able to move around during labour. I'm so glad they've found it so I understand your concern sazibubba. Allegedly they don't test in the UK because of the cost. From what I've read I don't see why you wouldn't be able to year yourself with one of those kits around 36 weeks. If you don't want to I know there's a clinic near me where we went for a scan who do testing. It's £85 though but there might be somewhere near you that's cheaper :)

I had this On my last pregnancy me and my daughter were fed antibiotics when she was born but they havnt tested me this time. I'm getting annoyed with the lack of care given to me in this pregnancy.

inless its found on swab then its not worth testin till 36 weeks! The test results cover you for 6 weeks. So if negitive then you will be negitive till 42 weeks so covered for possible going overdue. Its not harmful for baby while inside you. Just can be passed on during labour. The chances are very rare that this happens. But its still bad that they dont routinely check us for it. I had it with my 1st but this time at 33 weeks i was negitive. But just had a retest to cover me through labour. You can get a private test and id of had it if i didnt get a test. Just dont book it till 36 weeks.

do they not check this in your bloods? im sure it was on my maternity notes about this.

might be different in uk. not sure tho tnx for info ladies :) gonna ask my midwife on wednesday xxxx

I had a vaginal swab for this my first pg and it came back negative. I had a UTI my 2nd pg and it turned out the infection was from group b strep so they gave me antibiotics ( around 18 weeks along) and then more antibiotics through my iv in labor. When my son was born they gave him an iv of antibiotics too just to be on the side of caution b/c he was a little more fussy than the normal newborn. I don't even have to be tested this time b/c I was told if you've ever tested positive for it then you have to have the antibiotics during labor anyway.

Ok,
Hope this doesn't bore you with it's length but wanted to try and put your mind at rest lovely xx

My first born was born safe and healthy, had no complications or infections etc.
With my second, just in the off chance I found out I had gbs.. In the uk, for some crazy reason it isn't routinely tested for, which, in my opinion is shocking. Anyway, I was told not to worry and that it just meant I'd have anti biotics via IV during labour. My midwife never mentioned taking anti biotics before hand. My second son was born perfectly
healthy with no complications, I also had a really speedy one hour 35 minute labour and was terrified I wouldn't get the anti biotics in time, but you just need one bag every four hours of labour, one bag take around ten minutes .. I thought it was four hours of anti biotics and was worried he didn't have enough but I was wring and like many of you, not explained to clearly about it all. Now that I am pregnant with number 3 I have to have another hospital birth as I will routinely have anti biotics again, as it's been mentioned before, if you have tested positive before you will automatically have the anti biotics again, they don't tend to bother testing again for it...

Now, I had a bit of a shock with a midwife appointment the other day. She was looking through my notes and said ah you had group b step for both of your pregnancies.. I said no just my second, but apparently I tested positive fir my first too, I just wasn't informed!! Apparently I had a course of anti biotics during my pregnancy though, which she said wouldn't have made a difference. I was horrified that I wasnt informed and didn't get the anti biotics during my labour, buy my midwife just said that 7 years ago things were dealt differently and it wasnt as common.. She too said it was bad though. Thank goodness my son was ok.

In my opinion,I think everyone should get tested. I the uk you can buy a test for £32.. If you search group b strep home test, you take a swab and send it off.. If it comes back negative then great if it comes back positive then you know to inform your midwife and ensure you get the anti biotics. I scared myself silly reading all the horrific things that gbs can or could cause, but there is a very small % however it's still a risk, so get tested everyone, it wi ll do no harm xxxx with regards to taking the anti biotics during pregnancy it's completely up to you, you have to do what is right for you. In my opinion I don't think it will do much good and as long as you have the anti biotics during labour Im sure all will be fine but you really need to do what you feel is right xxxxxx

I had group B strep too with my DD and am under consultant care this time so I can be swabbed nearer the time. I had IV antibiotics when in labour last time and felt it a bit restrictive to the active birth I wanted and also had to have a controlled labour so the antibiotics were delivered within the desired time. Each NHS trust/hospital seems to do it differently though...

The reason we arent screened routinely or given antibiotics constantly in pregnancy if we are found to have it isnt to do with cost... but a number of other reasons:

• current lab testing through the NHS in the UK is not reliable enough to recommend that all pregnant women be swabbed and tested during late pregnancy

• there are concerns that the widespread use of antibiotics during labour could increase the risks of severe allergic reactions (anaphylaxis) and make the labour and newborn period too medicalised

• the rates of bacteria resistant to antibiotics could increase

• newborns affected by antibiotics during labour may possibly be more likely to develop allergies and have poor immune systems .

Personally I think we should all be given the opprtunity to know and weigh up the pros and cons ourselves..

I was tested at. 15ish weeks and treated with a week of antibiotics. I will be tested again closer to birth. I guess it depends on the Dr if they do the early test and treatment. Good luck

I wondered if anyone's ever heard of this. I had a swab taken last week to check for infection down there after some weird discharge. No infection was found but it showed that I have high levels of group b strep. I've done a lot of research into it the last few days. My doctor prescribed me some antibiotics as my levels were high and if it's very bad it can get through your cervix some how and cause stillbirth/premature labour. My midwife however said it's pointless treating it during pregnancy because even if it goes it can come back in a few weeks. She said she'd never heard of it causing any harm during pregnancy only during labour so I'd have to have antibiotics during labour through IV. They pretty much left it up to me what to do. I've decided to take the antibiotics this week to try and at least reduce the levels if there's the slightest risk of stillbirth or premature labour. I do feel a bit uneasy taking antibiotics when they might not even do anything though and after the midwife said there was no need though.

I know this is quite complex but does anyone have any advice?

In the US, every pregnant woman is required to take a swab test for group B strep, so I guess it must be fairly common. I haven't had mine yet. i think they do it around 20 weeks.

It's hard to see how antibiotics during labor would help. I mean, antibiotics don't work instantly, do they? They take a little time to start working?
I think i read that here in the US, the standard procedure if a woman tests positive for group B strep is to treat it right away (during pregnancy).

Best of luck, though. I'm sure they know what they're doing, and everything will be fine!

I have it too and will receive antibiotics in labour, there is no evidence to suggest that treatment in pregnancy will do anything to stop it reoccurring which is why its treated in labour

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->