Group b strep?

Lisa2701

Reaction score
A couple of years back it was discovered that I carry group b strep. I hear this can cause problems for baby after birth and I will need to be given antibiotics during labour. Anyone else got this and what's your understanding of the risks?

It can come and go, so don't worry about it until you're much further along (like 35-36 weeks) if you then test positive they'll want to give you IV Antibiotics during labour, but you can refuse them if you'd rather not have them.

It can come and go, so don't worry about it until you're much further along (like 35-36 weeks) if you then test positive they'll want to give you IV Antibiotics during labour, but you can refuse them if you'd rather not have them.

I had no idea it could come and go!! It was 2-3 years ago I was told I had it so maybe I no longer have it. If I do still have it I'd would do whatever is best for baby.

Snufkin is right, it can come and go. 1 in 4 women is strep b+ at delivery (according to the leaflet I had from my hospital anyway!). It isn't routinely tested for in the UK because it is so common but as you've had it before they'll probably test you. 36 weeks is the time it is usually done because if you have it then it isn't likely to go by your edd.
I was strep b+ with my 2nd LO and had to have antibiotics through IV (unless you decline). They like you to have one 4 hour dose as a minimum (at my hospital it was 30 minutes of medicine through an IV, a break and then a 2 minute fast pump through the IV, I'm not sure if it is the same everywhere). If you don't get the minimum dose they will monitor LO, for us it was 12 hour observations but I've heard people say their LO was monitored for 24 hours.

I had strep b with my daughter in 2012, but my labour was only 2hrs so never had time for any iv antibiotics and she was just fine.
I will be tested again this time I have been told but not sure when. I wouldn't worry too much as my doctor did say it can come and go. Also depends where it has been found as well.

I had this for dd. I had antibiotics too and dd was fine.
I've read that your diet can affect whether you have strep or not. I had planned to eat really well but it's hard with nausea.

I had it with my first, I had it antibiotics during labour and wasn't allowed a home birth. I had to stay in for 24 hours for observations then we were allowed home. Apart from that nothing was different to a non strep b birth so I wouldn't worry.

I tested positive. Doc says penicillin every 4h once labor starts. I am getting Induced so ill have iv anyways. Info I got was that during vaginal delivery gets on skin and could cause pneumonia, meningitis or other infections in baby.
A doula that teaches my prenatal yoga class says you can prevent testing positive by taking probiotics and eating fermented food during pregnancy??? I take probiotics but not the fermented foods.so not sure...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->