Growing terror

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Third Trimester' started by raychmumtobe, Nov 14, 2011.

1. raychmumtobe

raychmumtobe Mummy to my Boofles <3

All through my pregnancy, ive been calm and excited and really looking 4ward to being a mummy, and I wasnt in the slightest bit worried about the labour...

But...

Now its getting closer to my date, im absolutely terrified, and the terror is just building the more I think about it.
    I know being a mum is something ill get used to, ive always wanted to be a mum, tho now im scared that ill resent not having any alone time with my OH or just to myself as me and my OH barely hav any time together nw. :-(

Im also now terrified of the labour, I cnt wait to meet my daughter, but theres a huge part of me now that wants her to stay where she is so that I dnt hav to go thru all the pain of labour, which is seriously selfish... But everytime I think about the labour, I feel sick to my stomach and I get this crippling feeling of dread.
    I know im going to have to do it very soon, but im just getting myself in a flap over it. :-(

Has anyone else felt like this? How can I snap out of it?

2. CKJ

CKJ Well-Known Member

I'm with u. Closer it gets the more I realise I am genuinely completely terrified. I'm literally praying that by not thinking about it too much by the time I'm.IN labour they'll b sod all I can do about it but cope! Have never felt this scared about something in my life n its only just dawning on me! X

3. raychmumtobe

At least its not just me. Im seriously freaking out. :'(

4. CKJ

CKJ Well-Known Member

Its not don't worry! But we will cope n we will get through it-its the same with anything-anticipation n apprehension r always worse than the reality!! X

5. raychmumtobe

Thanks hun. I just wish someone cud just knock me out and when I wake up, hand me my daughter. Lol. Wud be far less scary. Xx

6. lisa1980

lisa1980 Well-Known Member

I could've written your post!

I honestly didn't really think about labour/actually being a parent in any REAL sense until this week. I think it's partly because I'm now off work so I've just got more time to actually think about it.

I'm pretty scared of labour - especially because midwife thinks he's back-to-back and I need to turn him (which she said with a really terrifying face, as if it's the worst thing ever :wacko:), but I'm scared this won't happen.

I'm also scared of everything changing between me and OH. I know it will be fine, but the worries just seem to have hit me in the last few days for some reason :shrug:

:hugs: for you - I'm sure it'll all be amazing in the end.

Lisa x

7. Nikki B

Nikki B Well-Known Member

I was very blasse about it until last week when they told me my baby is breech. Before then I wanted to try for no drugs, because the idea of not being able to have control of my body freaks me out, so the thought of having a c-section is freaking me out. I've been having dreams about him turning. Seriously, the thought of having a c-section gets me slightly panicky. But I guess he's coming out one way or the other, right:)

8. babyroppa

babyroppa Well-Known Member

I could of written this post too .... :dohh:

I have been signed off work early from the docs with anxiety as i got myself so worked up about the whole thing...:cry:
    terrified of labour
    for some reason i convinced myself everyone around me was going to die
    or the baby/I was going to die :blush:
    terrified OH will leave me because im a stress head/no sleep mother
    terrified i am a crap mam

the list is endless.... :wacko:

I can honestly say though that now i have sat down and thought about the above list (and made the decision to have an epidural!) I am feeling so much better.
    I think its perfectly natural what we are feeling and we will all be fine :flower::hugs: we are going to be great mams :baby:

9. raychmumtobe

Thank christ u all feel the same! I spoke to my sister about her pregnancy and whether she felt like this and she said she was fine and that im bein too dramatic etc, that I just need to nt think abwt it!
    That is just nt possible right nw. Its all I cn think abwt.

10. Nyssa1991

Nyssa1991 Expecting Layla :)

hey rach hun, im shitting myself too about labour, but just think soon we will both have our little girls, and when i visit up north catey and Layla will be able to play with each other and become friends, just as we did from primary onwards :)
    Just think of the great things being a mum entails, and how catey will have cas around her near enough the same age too :)

11. Rose1983

Rose1983 Active Member

Im very scared too, im a high risk pregnancy so it doesnt help, also knowing i could possibly have a life threatening condition, im freaking out every minute

12. Fuchsia1412

Fuchsia1412 Due in Nov 2021 with No.5

Oh ladies it's so sad that you're all feeling like this, so apprehensive and worried and frightened... i'm sure it's a totally natural feeling, it is very frightening when something so very intense is about to happen, and it doesn't end with labour of course, afterwards you suddenly have a baby! but...I can promise you a hundred percent that the fear or labour is just a fear of the unknown, it's not a fear that will translate in to doing/not doing well, and there's time to build up and find your ways to cope and strategies, there's a good reason that the intensity of labour goes up in increments and doesn't just happen suddenly...! I thought that labour pains felt very 'worthy' - very useful, it's not just like a terrible pain, it's something entirely different and because of that, you cope in different ways, you give yourself over and become almost a different person, it's hard to imagine the place you'll be in during labour, but in my experience, not a bad place! I had a nice experience- it was painful, but contractions came and went, I gathered myself in between, rocked around, breathed, prepared for the next, relaxed in water, and when pushing stage came- it was a big relief and not as painful, more just great great pressure. I hope that somehow helps some of you. Pm me if you want any more positive labour vibes! I think I had a nice inbetweeny labour. I couldn't place myself in entirely 'natural' - I had pethidine, and I didn't stay quiet, I screamed like a banshee (to me that felt very natural and good!) - but I wasn't induced (refused it in fact) my labour wasn't too long, and she came out naturally,slowly, using a birthing stool, and not a graze in sight. I went home a few hours later!