• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Growling Dog

Lyana

Reaction score
Okay, so I posted on someone else's thread about dogs and it get me thinking about something that been bothering me.
I'm not going to go into the whole story because it's long but basically we ended up with a dog who's about 11 lbs and is a very grumpy dog that growls all the time and will bite if provoked.
I love dogs but I don't like this one and have wanted to rehome him since day one but hubby fell in love with him so here we are 2 years later. I really don't want this dog around my baby, not only is he annoying to me because he jumps on the bed and growls and you can't do anything with him without him growling, but he's bitten us both several times!
Even if he doesn't bite my baby I don't want her to be afraid of dogs because she grew up around one that's really loud and nippy! I've talked to hubby many times about it and he says we can't get rid of the dog but I also told him if the dog does anything to my baby he'll be gone! I will not allow that kind of stuff around my child! :nope:
I know I probably sound like I don't like dogs but trust me I love them! This one just has serious problems and truth be told I don't like him at all!
What would you do? I need some advice! :shrug:

We adopted a dog who was great with zane but didn't like me. Growl and snap, lovely the next, so the best thing to do was to rehome her, so she and us would be happy.

I wouldn't have a dog that bit me around my baby, no matter what.
It would be us or the dog

Have you taken him to dog traning classes? Have you called a pet behaviour advisor?

@ moomin_troll that how I feel about it, just wish I could get hubby on board

@ sparklycat no we haven't tried that, but the last time I asked hubby about it he said he didn't have the time and didn't want to spend the money.

I think you need to talk to your hubby again. You can't wait for something to happen before you get rid. It could be too late then. I think it's a no brainer and your hubby needs to get his priorities straight. Sorry if this sounds harsh but we see so many stories about pets attacking kids, resulting in permanent disfigurement or worse...

Feel mean now but stick by what I've said...

Well to be perfectly honest if he can't be bothered to put the time and money in to make life better for his dog then he doesn't deserve to have it anyway and the dog would be better off somewhere else.

As soon as that dog would have bitten me unprovoked it would be out the door.

I understand; I would definitely want to get rid of the dog, and I love animals. I wouldn't want a growling, biting dog around even without a baby, and definitely not with a baby.

A dog can do serious damage to a baby in just a matter of seconds... I read a story awhile back about a smallish dog jumping into a baby's crib and actually killing the baby. Also, my nephew still has scars from a friend's small dog jumping on him when he was about 2, and biting his face multiple times before anyone could get to him. I know that's rare, but with a dog with known aggression issues I wouldn't take the chance.

Is there any way the dog could become an outside dog, at least? Confining the dog to certain rooms would help too, but if it were me, the dog would be gone. I doubt training would enough effect to make it truly safe to be around a baby.

Chances are, once your baby is born, your husband will become just as protective as you are, and more willing to either put the dog outside or re-home it. They say men don't become fathers until the baby is actually born and they fall in love, and I think in many cases, this is true. Just saying I wouldn't put too much stock in what he is saying at 20 weeks pregnant; everything will probably change when he sees his baby.

I would get rid of it. Unless you want to work with a dog obedience professional to correct the bad behavior, could be an option to try for your husbands sake? The dog had bitten you and your husband and will most likely bite the new baby at some point.

Thanks ladies!
I don't think I'm being unreasonable, before we were dating I adopted a dog that was very fearful and horrible to handle, she just didn't trust anyone. I tried working with her over a year with mixed results, but one day she bit my hand really bad for no reason and I gave her to a rehab shelter type place.
I am hoping and thinking that what Yipee says is true and not just that my husband is being stupid about it, even thought that's how I feel at the moment. Unfortunately he can't be an outside dog because we live in an apartment.
Hubby really loves kids and gets more worried about certain safety things with them then I do so I don't think he doesn't care about his baby.

I agree with the above. Babies and children can pull and tug at dogs and the crying can scare them. Should something like that occur i would hate for your dogs first instinct to be to bite. If it was me, i would have to re-home to dog. I wouldn't be happy with an aggressive dog in the house with a child. If you went to a shelter or a reliable seller they wouldn't let a dog go to a home with children if the dog was known to have aggressive tendencies. The same should apply when the dog is already in your home.

I'd rehome. I think your husband is being unreasonable though not wanting training classes, and thinking that baby would be okay with the dog.

No dog can be trusted and can turn at any point. But a dog already known to show aggression has no hope!! I had a dog that showed aggression and I spent hundreds and hundreds on dog classes and behaviour experts. He still bit my 2 year old, giving him a scar on his chin. I had to make the decision to rehome him to a shelter. Who found him the perfect owners without children. Dogs really can cause some damage. I'd get rid of him for all your sakes. The dog would find I nice home im sure xx

Personally I think that's an easy choice I couldn't live with myself if something happened and I could have prevented it by rehoming the dog. I'd have to tell hubby its me or the dog as I couldn't be comfortable in my home with an aggressive dog let alone with a baby p.s I love dogs and have had dogs my whole life but if its a choice of bub or dog bub wins everytime good luck xx

I love dogs, I'm a dog groomer, I have four dogs. But I would not keep a dog that growled at me constantly and bites unprovoked, small or not. The worst bites I've received at my job have been from small dogs they can do a lot of damage too. If one of my dogs bit because I got in the middle of a fight, they were injured, etc. there are reasons that I dog would bite that I understand, but I wouldn't be okay if the dog bit for no reason. Now when you have been bit have they been bad bites, did they break the skin? Some dogs will bite just because that's their way of saying "hey I don't want that done" or whatever but it's different if they are intending to make you bleed or not. I've had dogs bite me where I felt pressure but I could tell they were using bite inhibition and not intending to really hurt me, trust me, if the dog wants to make you bleed, he will with that bite. Either way whether the dog is intending to make you bleed or not still scary with a small child I wouldn't want them around the dog.

I would 100% rehome the dog.

A shelter will be able to find it a more suitable home.
I don't think its anything you or your partner have done to cause this. Like people. Some dogs just aren't quite right in the head lol.

My dog a rescue dog is the most loving creature in the world, my dd can dress her up and have tea parties and she came from a pretty bad home.

My cat on the other hand, came to us from a kitten got all the love and attention in the world and is pure unprovoked EVIL. He will come rub up against you for a rub and as soon as your hand touches him he is clinging on to your arm biting and kicking like its some sick game he likes to play.

Explain the dangers to your husband. Dogs like that have killed babies. We researched dogs for 4 months for all of our preferences. Ended up getting a black mouth cur. Hes a huge dog, but he is the sweetest gentlest dog, loves our daughter to bits. If we even raise our voices at our daughter he gets defensive and goes into protective mode. Maybe suggest obedience classes or looking at better behaved dogs.

I can relate to this post... Not to worry your or anything but this might be something you would want to share with your OH. I've always loved dogs and grew up with them. When I had my son, the dog was fine with him until one day when I was changing his diaper. He starting peeing on me and I playfully laughed and my dogged snapped and she headed for his head. I moved him and put my hand right where his head was and she bit me. My brothers and mom had to grab her and pull her outside. I'm more than positive that if I did not move my son and put my hand in front of where he was he would have been seriously hurt. She too was a snappy dog and bit me several times but my mom loved her so we kept her but as soon as she went for my son she was gone. A dog can switch from good to bad in an instance. She was surprised by my laugh and went after my son like he would hurt me. If you feel uneasy now it will only worsen when LO is here.

Ask your husband how hes going to react if you keep the dog and he bites your baby? How much hes going to hate himself because he could have done something to stop it and chose not to. Putting your baby in danger of getting bit is not a "debate" in my mind, getting rid of it is the only option. I LOVE dogs. I have 2 75lb dogs and they are great with my kids and I love them dearly but if I felt like my childrens safety was ever an issue, they would be gone, no hesitation. You're husband is in the wrong and hes putting a dog over the safety of your baby, sorry to be so brutal but the dog needs to be rehomed hun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"