Growth Scan and Low Amniotic Fluid

Princess pea

Mum of 2 beautiful girls
Reaction score
Hi Ladies,

So, two weeks ago (30 + 1) I had a growth scan which basically told me my baby was at risk of IUGR and Oligohydraminious (Very low aminiotic fluid). Baby weighed 2lbs and 7oz's and was on the 3rd percentile for AC. I was really upset and they told me that depending on the outcome of further monitoring I would have to prepare myself for a premature delivery.

Last week I had a doppler scan and check of fluid levels, which showed I had lost another 2cm of AF, but the doppler scan was OK.

Today, I had a further growth scan which shows that her AC has gone from the 3rd percentile to the 37th percentile and her EFW is now 3lbs and 11oz's. So I'm absolutely chuffed about this, but.... I've lost another 5cm of AF, which is now critical. So regardless she will have to come in the next two weeks. The consultant has told me that at this stage the AF will not regenerate, so they are monitoring me twice a week to see if I lose anymore.

I also had the first of my steriod injections, which bloody hurt! And will have the second one tomorrow morning.

So whilst I had some good news, we are still looking at a preemie, which I am terrified about! :cry:

I hope everything works out well for you. My nephew was born at 32 weeks and he's now a healthy 6 year old so don't worry yourself too much, I'm sure your baby will be fine.

My baby has a small AC too and is measuring at the 4th percentile. They haven't mentioned anything about delivering early though. I have a scan on Monday to check his/her growth again. Was the decision to deliver your baby early at that point more due to the low fluid than the AC measurement?

hi there try not to worry my waters broke at 31+2 with my dd and they didnt regenerate at all they waited til 34wks to deliver her and she only weighed 3lb 10oz and only spent 12days in neonatal she didnt need any help with breathing just a tube for a couple days to feed her. she is now 14mths and thriving doing everything she shud b doing for her age.

i know how u feel when they tell u about having a preemie its scary but believe me it wasnt really that bad we just treated her like she was a normal newborn. hope it all works out ok for u and little 1

I hope everything works out well for you. My nephew was born at 32 weeks and he's now a healthy 6 year old so don't worry yourself too much, I'm sure your baby will be fine.

My baby has a small AC too and is measuring at the 4th percentile. They haven't mentioned anything about delivering early though. I have a scan on Monday to check his/her growth again. Was the decision to deliver your baby early at that point more due to the low fluid than the AC measurement?

When her AC and EFW was so low, they told me she would probably have to come early if there was no change. At that point my AF was the low end of normal. Now she's grown the AF has become critical so the decision has been made on that really.

Good luck with your scans. 4th percentile is v low. What gestation were you when your LO measured this?

hi there try not to worry my waters broke at 31+2 with my dd and they didnt regenerate at all they waited til 34wks to deliver her and she only weighed 3lb 10oz and only spent 12days in neonatal she didnt need any help with breathing just a tube for a couple days to feed her. she is now 14mths and thriving doing everything she shud b doing for her age.

i know how u feel when they tell u about having a preemie its scary but believe me it wasnt really that bad we just treated her like she was a normal newborn. hope it all works out ok for u and little 1

Wow, thanks Mrs RNI that really reassures me. I just keep thinking about her being the NICU wired up and all sorts.

If you didn't have any water for nearly three weeks, what finally made them deliver you? And were you worried about infection?

Hi, good news that your lo is putting on weight. Sorry to hear that you may have her early but dont worry yourself - the consultant wouldnt have suggested it unless they were sure lo would be ok. and besides with you losing the af its best that shes out really.
cant really help much but just try not to worry too much (easier said than done) and get some rest! xx

When her AC and EFW was so low, they told me she would probably have to come early if there was no change. At that point my AF was the low end of normal. Now she's grown the AF has become critical so the decision has been made on that really.

Good luck with your scans. 4th percentile is v low. What gestation were you when your LO measured this?

Basically at my 20 week scan my fluid was on the lower scale of normal so I was booked in for a scan at 28 weeks to check on the fluid level again.

At 28 weeks my fluid level was much better, however, his/her AC measurement was 4th percentile, HC was fine though, it was just AC.

At 33 weeks I had another growth scan and AC had grown at the same rate, still 4th percentile and now I have another on Monday to check on growth again.

There has been no mention of delivering baby early though, they tend to keep me in the dark but I will be full term on Friday now. I did have a Doppler scan at 28 weeks and that all came back fine.

i hope all goes well whether your little one is early or decides to hang on in there. Have u been leaking a/f? Was the growth scan routine? X

i hope all goes well whether your little one is early or decides to hang on in there. Have u been leaking a/f? Was the growth scan routine? X

Thanks for replying. I mentioned to doc that I thought I was leaking, so they sent me for a wellbeing scan two weeks after my 28 week appt, this is where they suspected IUGR and low AF. After the scan the consultant checked me internally for leakage, but couldn't find any evidence of it, so god knows where it's going. Some articles on google point to many reasons why this could be, such as. diabetes, high blood pressure etc, none of which apply to me. The other scary thing it mentions is birth defects, or kidney, urinary tract probs in the baby. But the consultant hasnt mentioned any further tests or worries in that direction :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->