Grungy Ear

jaybee

Mum to Tobias & Alexander
Reaction score
So yesterday Tobes was at home with OH as they had their Daddy Day together.
He phoned me at work to say that he thought Tobi had an earache and was trying to get a dr's apt.

The Childrens nurse rang him and spoke to him and they agreed to control the pain with calpol and see what happened over night (what I would have done too). He was fine when I got home and he slept fine over night.

Today, he has some sort of 'gunk' coming out of his ear. It looks like runny wax, but does not smell at all and he is no pain with it today.

Just wondered if anyone has any idea what it is??

sounds like an ear infection, he may need antibiotics x

Yeah take him to the docs. Amelie had a runny ear when she had a really bad infection that needed antibiotics but she was symptomatic and screaming in pain all night :( was awful.

discharge from ear is usually a sign of Ear infection, especially if runny or bloody

So, took him to the dr's today,

Turns out he has a perforated ear drum rather than an ear infection, it has resulted from the build up of mucus in his drainage ducts from his chest infection and cold. WHich put pressure on the ear drum, which perforated from the pressure. The pain was from the pressure build up, and disappeared when the drum broke.
They said it is nothing to worry about, its all to do with the physiology of toddlers and the fact that the drainage ducts are almost flat at this age.
Just thought you ladies might be interested.
Thanks for your suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->