Had anyone in here only had the 1 scan at 12 weeks?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - First Trimester' started by ahava, Apr 10, 2009.

1. ahava

ahava me & hubby

hi ladies,
    Just wondering if any of you only had the 1 scan, at the usual 10-12 weeks?

2. MrsO29

MrsO29 Me-Hubby-2 kids-2 m/cs

I think the reason it seems we all get so many scans is, most of us come on this site when we need help after previous m/cs, so most of us are a few m/cs in and they treat you different after 2 or 3.

A lot of women who have had no pg problems in the past don't tend to join these kind of sites.

I could be totally wrong, but I think thats the reason the majority of us are on here, and why we are all getting scans so early.
    Not everyone of course, just a high percentage.

I know you have been ttc for many years, but I don't think you will get scanned early for that reason unfortunately.

3. Wombat

Wombat Married mum of 2:)

Yes, I got just one scan (yesterday actually) at 12 weeks. Next one will be when Ill be 20 weeks.

It is normal to have just 2 scans during your pregnancy.
    :hug::hug::hug:

4. elainegee

elainegee Well-Known Member

I had many scans with my first pregnancy due to various reasons, pains in my stomach and not being able to dedect the HB with the dopplar and then i had a bleed at 25 weeks and was scanned 3 times after that. With this wee one, i got a scan at 9+1 weeks as i told the midwife about some brown staining and cramps i had been having a couple of weeks prior, for that reason she told me to phone the EPU and get an early scan. I have noticed that some woman that have had M/C in my work (i work in gp surgery) have been told that they will get scanned earlier due to a previous m/c. I guess it depends on your area and the hospital.

5. aimee-lou

aimee-lou Totally Outnumbered!!

My first scan will be at 13+5. Really really looking forward to it!! :happydance:

6. FunnyFace

FunnyFace Lola's mummy

Ive had one scan (dating one) my next one is 20wks and thats it! x

7. Neon

Neon Well-Known Member

Hi ahava,
    Had my dating scan yesterday 13+4 and next is 22 May wk 19. This is my first.

8. ahava

ahava me & hubby

thanks ladies, im still deciding whether to get an early scan or not......so was interested to hear how many only waited till their first 12 weeks scan ...

9. snugglebot

snugglebot Very blessed

In our province we are only allowed 1 scan at 16-20 weeks and there are no private hospitals. They only allow second or more scans if something is wrong.

Which is fine for me because if you don't suspect anything is wrong, the early scans can cause more anxiety than they resolve because they aren't always clear and often require follow-up work if something wasn't clear... I don't want that stress unless I think it is necessary.

10. AP

AP Well-Known Member

Yeah, the dationg one is 10-12 weeks but as someone else says, its normally those that have had probs before that got earlier scans.

Sometimes, it best to wait anyway - in my case the early scan caused me unnesseary worry I wouldnt have known about, as a little prob i had rectified itself by 10 weeks.

11. moomoo

moomoo Mumma to 2 & 1 in heaven!

Many girls on here get early scans because of previous m/c or bleeding. The will not scan anyone early..they wouldnt scan me even with previous m/c :cry: So i booked 2 x private scans - worth every penny in my opinion.

Usually in a straightforward pregnancy you get 2 scans through the nhs xx

12. mrso

mrso Lovin my Family

In the USA.... I get my first scan at 13 weeks. 2nd between 23-25 weeks. During my last pregnancy I had my 3d scan at like 7 months. I had an additional scan at 38 weeks because my son was so big.

I think I will have 3 during this pregnancy. Hopefully this child isn't 10lbs when born!!

13. missbump

missbump Member

I'm still waiting for a letter to confirm when my first scan is. The consultation with the GP was the most underwhelming, uneventful thing... was literally like, go away and come back in 2 months! As I'm in my 30s I'm a bit concerned about abnormalities and would pay privately for extra tests to make sure things are OK in that department. As this was a very unplanned pregnancy I still don't feel pregnant, and I want the scan to make it seem more real for me. So it's frustrating to have to wait but if it's normal to have first scan at 12 weeks then I shouldn't worry.

14. Cattia

Cattia Well-Known Member

I am planning on getting an early scan. All my friends who have had babies have waited for their 12 week scan and all been fine, no problems. Personally I am someone who suffers from anxiety anyway and I think the hormones are making it worse so I am going to pay for an early scan just to calm myslef down. However I think if you are not experiencing any problems and have had no problems in the past there is probably no real need to get an early scan.