Had First Appointment Today

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - First Trimester' started by nightkd, Dec 11, 2009.

1. nightkd

nightkd Mum to two!

The Ob Gyn was fine, he was a bit rough and hurt the heck out of me, but I can get over that... He didn't do the pap smear as I requested, tried to use the speculum to see inside though and HURT me soooo much I was wriggling and practically yelling, so he pulled it out and said "We won't use that then!" Then rammed his fingers inside me.... :wacko: BIT rough, but otherwise he's okay and I'm happy with him. Got LOADS of boxes of prescription only prenatals to try out...And some magazines and samples....

The bit I'm ANGRY about - we had to go next door to get bloods and the damn woman just did not seem to care. I told her I felt faint last time after having 2 vials (she was collecting 9+) and that I hated having the needle in...Well she missed the first vein, got the second and then let it slip out (and blamed me!!! :grr:) so we only got a few vials, then jabbed it in my hand and made my hand go numb! She really sucked...she was wiggling and jabbing and, it was just terrible tbh, she didn't seem to be taking the time and doing it properly - she was handling reception AND the bloods all alone, so maybe she was stressed, but she still screwed up majorly. So now we have to go back in tomorrow and get the rest done. I'm here downing bottles of water (which is giving me damn heartburn! :dohh:) in an attempt to help her out tomorrow! I'd rather not end up with MORE bruises! Have an absolutely HUGE one where she let the needle slip out :dohh: NOT a good experience.

I had blood taken for my Green Card app and the woman was older and sooo much smoother - in, blood, out... DONE! :thumbup: Wish I had her!!!

Sorry I sound pissy, everything went well up until that point and now I have to go and get jabbed AGAIN by someone I don't trust!!!

Any more tips on how to help her do her job?

xx

2. catfromaus

catfromaus Mum to angel Aiden Lynne

none, sorry, that really sucks! Just cross your fingers and pray someone else is there!

Cat
    xxx

3. Starbucket

Starbucket Well-Known Member

I had my first prenatal as well today but its a little diff in Canada. You are under your family doctors care until about the fifth month then you get transfered to an OB.

ANyways, I had a horrific experience with the blood tests as well.. I had four different injection sites... and she just kept drawing blood and it wasnt enough and she would start over again. Wasting that half full vial of blood. I got really woozy and am now bruised all over my arms and hands..

I totally know how you feel..

4. BabyL0Ve

BabyL0Ve Guest

Ohh that's messed up what he did to u :growlmad::huh: I would consider a different doctor maybe...

5. nightkd

nightkd Mum to two!

We're hoping someone else will be there! It was really just such a crappy experience.. This is the second time I've had bloods drawn and the first lady had no problem - she taped/held (can't remember which) the needle in place and was communicating with me while she did her job, the lady today starts staring off into space when I ask her a question and the vial she's filling gets too full!! :dohh: Was just a bit scary, because she didn't seem like she was really concentrating! :(

I just knew when we walked in there it wasn't going to be great because this woman saw us at reception (after AGES of waiting and no acknowledgement we were there) was looking through our paperwork and talking to her 'mate' over our shoulder, who was just leaving... Then when SHE was the one doing my bloods I was like "Nooooo!!!"

Blargh. Well I'm not so afraid of the little prick when the needle goes in now, feeling someone wiggling a needle in all different directions (and against the bone in your wrist) is a MUCH worse feeling!! :sick:

x

6. nightkd

nightkd Mum to two!

Isn't it awful? I have like a line instead of a hole where she tried to move the needle across further than it should've gone... :wacko:

I started feeling faint and so I had some peanut butter crackers (the lovely nurse who did all the paperwork in the Ob Gyn's building gave me some when I said I was nervous because I felt faint last time..) and some water... Then had to get some chocolate and one of the sugary slush puppy drinks in Target... Ick. I just hope she's not going to redo ALL of the bloods for some stupid reason tomorrow!!!!!

xx

ETA: At least I got the pelvic exam outta the way and have my U/S to look forward to on Saturday!!!

7. BabyL0Ve

BabyL0Ve Guest

That's bad, it seems like they are careless, I would be out if that was me. It is you that is hiring them and you want the best because you are the one paying for their service so the service better be 100% satisfying

8. nightkd

nightkd Mum to two!

I have considered just saying we'll go somewhere else, but the same lab is doing my urine and obviously they've now got half my blood samples... Just worried that we'll incur more lab fees going to a different place. :shrug: I've already told Alex I want him in with me tomorrow because I wondered if she was discriminating against me... I don't have a firm reason why, just a feeling I got... I want him there to see if she makes a hash/perhaps make it go more smoothly iykwim?

Also if she really does mess up as bad as she did today, I may just say "Don't worry, can you write down the tests remaining, do the ones you've got and we'll go to a family friend to get the rest..." Something like that. It was just made all the worse because she did not seem to be paying attention... :shrug: Scary when someone's sticking you with a needle!!!!!

x

9. Katherine

Katherine Well-Known Member

Well, I have plenty of experience in this, since I got my molar last year. I was having weekly blood test, then monthly, then bi-monthly for a whole year.

Everybody is different, but in my case I like the blood to be drawn from my left arm, because I am right handed. But my veins in my left arms are not very visible. I had once time in which they just put the needle in, and was searching and searching, and couldn't get the blood out. So now I just offer them my right arm. The veins are much visible there, and much easier to pick.... Probably you can see in which arms you veins are much more visible.

Try to stay hydrated also. Seems that sometime the veins would shrink when one is dehydrated.

After they take the needle out, just pressed the area for 5 minutes or so. This way also prevent bruises.

Hope you will have a better experience tomorrow.

10. nightkd

nightkd Mum to two!

Thanks, the veins in my left arm seem to be more visible. It probably would've been fine if she'd actually held the needle in or taped it in place seen as she was doing so many vials! That's the only reason I bruised so bad too, because the needle slipped out of my vein and she left it for ages trying to get the blood going again (when it clearly wasn't even in my vein anymore!!) and then wiggled the needle around under my skin to try and get it back in the vein... :(

I'm trying to top up on water, how much would you recommend I drink and when should I aim to drink it tomorrow (we'll probably go back about 4pm tomorrow). I'm finishing a 500ml bottle tonight, but I'm not good with drinking water, so I'd rather have one tonight and then 2 tomorrow if it'll be more effective?

Any advice appreciated! I don't think I'd had ANY water the day the Green Card lady took my blood and she had no issues!!! :S

xxx

11. Katherine

Katherine Well-Known Member

Oh, they took 5 vials from me the other day also, on my first appointment with the midwife. The nurse was very nice. She didn't tape the needle, but did hold it in place while she switched the vials. I tried to keep my arm in place, and not moving it at all.

If it makes you nervous, try to look at somewhere else. I particularly hate seeing when they put the needle in, so I look somewhere else.

As for the amount of water to drink, I never had that problem, as I usually keep on sipping water during the day (and night). But saw once a poor old lady that was trying to get her blood draw, and the nurse worked on her like 10 minutes, and at the end had to tell the poor lady to drink some water and try again later. :wacko:

12. nightkd

nightkd Mum to two!

I look somewhere else when they're putting the needle in, I just hate the pain and feel of the needle sliding in.... *shudder* Better to know it's about to come, but not exactly when!!!

I'm terrible with water, I've been trying to drink a lot the past few days for our scan on Saturday (for clearer amniotic fluid) but I can't force myself past 2 bottles usually :S I'm funny about my water - if I leave it longer than an hour or so, I can't drink it and have to get a new bottle.. I guess I'll just have a couple of bottles during the day and hope it's enough!!!

Seems to be helping with the constipation at least!! :thumbup::lol:

My Grandma had diabetes so had to have her blood drawn quite often...she always had little bruises around all the needle pricks...

xxx

13. Beadette

Beadette I'm a blummin' Mumma!!!

I have had bad experiences in the past but my midwife was great. She took 6 vials and I was not left with even a teeny bruise! I was nervous beforehand but she was great. Made me feel completely different about having bloods taken

14. nightkd

nightkd Mum to two!

It just makes the experience so much worse when you have someone that doesn't know what they're doing/isn't good at it/can't be arsed! As I said, I was literally on the verge of tears when I came out, I'm sure hormones don't help that...but she made something I was already nervous about and expected to be 'simple' after my first experience...awful and really drawn out!!

The Green Card stuff, I was SO nervous because I never had bloods before, but the woman's overall attitude put me at ease to start with, then she just...Did it! I was just a little nervous today (more nervous about the pelvic exam!) and my God did she make that worse! :(

x

15. bunnyg82

bunnyg82 Mum to 2 gorgeous boys

arghhh I had a bad experience with my midwife trying to get blood from me too :( but unfortunately I think it's cos I didn't drink enough (I had no idea it would make a difference), thankfully she said she wasn't gonna keep sticking me so we'd get blood next time! Will defo make sure I have drank loads next time :) x

16. Torz

Torz Mummy to 2 DS & pregnant

Hi,

I have a serious fear of needles & having blood taken. As much as i have always wanted a child the thought of having to have needles & blood taken makes me feel even more nauseas than i all ready am.

I dont know what its like in the US so can only give this as my experience from here in the UK. When ever i have had bloods taken i have always requested for a numbing gell to be given. This comes in a little packet & you rub it on the places that the blood is to be taken from about half an hour before hand. There is normally plenty in the pack to do 2 or 3 places. It dosent stop the pain completly but it does help.

The other thing i always request for is for the blood to be taken with a butterfly. This is something my sister told me about, she is a nurse. Any way, the thing they stab you with to get the blood out, the smaller version of this is called a butterfly 'something' (will have to check), they are normally used on children as they are smaller & less painful. the only thing is because they are smaller, it takes longer for them to draw the blood. I'd rahter it take that little bit longer than be more painful.

I havent been for my MW appointment yet, i'm soo nervous for the bloods all ready. I never knew about been dehydrated making it harder, i will keep this in mind when i have to go.

17. Beltane

Beltane Mother of 3 Boys!

So sorry to hear. Maybe you can switch doctors?

18. Sweetie

Sweetie DD, DS, and a Surprise!!!

See if she can use a butterfly needle to drawn the blood. It will take a bit longer of the needle actually in but because the Needle is smaller there is more vein to hit kwim... I have touchy veins and have found that this works well for me and usually isn't too traumatic... I also lay down when they do it if they offer it (most here do) I find I'm a bit more relaxed that way and I don't have to watch. I'm terrified of needles and having bloods drawn but I have to go in at least once a month to have med levels checked :( and I understand that it definitely does suck :hugs:

19. TrishyC

TrishyC Mum of 2!

The water intake the night before and the day of drawing the blood makes a BIG difference with me! I used to donate blood and the only time I had a similar sounding experience to yours was when I went in one time having had hardly any fluids (can't remember why?). Otherwise, when fully hydrated there has never been a problem.:flower:
    Actually my DD had a horrible experience when she was but 2 months old (yes - 2mths!) She was in hospital for a fever and so they wanted to test for infection, so they tried to take the blood from the top of her hands (something they do for babies in Aust.) and couldn't get enough for a test from the first hand so they tried the other one. They were very gentle and tried hard to get it over with and tried to soothe her, but as you can imagine she was screaming her lungs out and I was so upset just to see it happen - anyway they couldn't get enough from both hands combined so they let it go, but she was left with bruised hands for a couple of weeks.... ugh. Probably doesn't relate but just thought I'd share.:flower:

20. polo_princess

polo_princess ♥ Brookes Mummy ♥

Sorry you had a crap time with the bloods, i always bruise so easily from them, the veins in my left arm are really easy to get into but im left handed so they get pissy with me for asking them to use my right arm :lol: