Had HCG taken last week and told "way too low"

minties

Complete
Reaction score
I had a visit with my GP last week on Friday when I was 15dpo. He did first tri bloods and HCG just to confirm pregnancy.

I called today (Tuesday here) and the nurse said the result was "very low", wants me to come back in again for a repeat. The number was 130.

I've only had hcg done with miscarriages, but this seems fine to me? She said it was a level you'd expect from 1-2 weeks pregnant, but I said hang on, pregnancy is measured from LMP so you wouldn't expect 130 at 1 week long as you haven't even ovulated yet. I asked if she meant from conception but she just said to come back.

Such a pain in the bum as I have to drag the kids with me and it's so much waiting!

My FRER's got darker after I had the blood test so I stopped testing. The test line was on the verge of being as dark as the control at 15dpo.

My hcg levels with my last pregnancy were 160 at 15dpo (pretty much same as yours).
They also told me the levels were very low...well guess what? I have a screaming 9 month old right no that is refusing to nap lol.

Doctors rrally worry us sometimes for NO reason..130 sounds great! And remember (as I'm sure you know) it's not the initial level but that it rises accordingly.

I should also add with the last pregnancy my levels also took longer to double than the average person and still baby made it, happy and healthy!

Thanks very much! I felt very positive when she told me the number, until she said she thought it was far too low. I was just hoping for over 100.

My GP had me noted down as being 5.5 weeks along when I was 4+1 and I have no idea how he came to that conclusion!

I truly believe we know more then our doctors sometimes...I find they just don't listen (I've had similar issues with my obgyn where he dated me according to LMP even though I told him that would be wrong).

Anyway 130 is a very positive start, I wouldn't worry at all!

I think 130 is perfectly fine for your first blood test. Its got to start somewhere. With my son mine was 250 at 16DPO so at 15DPO it wouldn't have been about 200.
This time I have not had HCG tests and just booked a scan for next week.

Mine was much lower than than... mine was 25, then they did it 48 hrs lower it jumped to 50, then they did it 96 hrs later and it was well over 300... I think I'm good now though. My doctor said it depends a lot on what labs they go through, my doc said as long as it's doubling you are good

Thanks everyone! I would have rather not had them done, but now that I had that first result the kids and I just walked down and I did a repeat. It will be a 97 hour difference and I'll find out in about 24 hours I suppose!

I did talk to the nurse briefly after the bloods were taken and she said "oh, you were only 15 days past conception, we only thought it was low because we thought you were 5.5 weeks, you shouldn't have bothered coming in today!" after I made the kids walk in the hot sun while they whined and grizzled the entire time, lol!

Mine were 88 at 15 DPO o_0 and 137 forty two hours later >.> I just got the good news that they are doubling. I was told the first number doesn't even matter because half the time no one knows when they actually conceives, what matters is that they raise by 60% within a 48 hour period and double every 48-72 hours.

Mine was 5. Just 5. When I had my urine sent off with my doctors. He wasn't even concerned. He goes yes you defo pregnant. And that was that. She is now 6 yrs old and back chats like mad xD

https://babyandbump.momtastic.com/p...ter/2087233-beta-135-14dpo-does-seem-low.html

Mine was 135 at 14dpo and they told me that was on the low end. However she is now 15 months old :)

Thanks so much for all the helpful replies!

I called and got the second result, 1100, and the doctor had put a note in the system saying "slow to moderate rise, repeat in 7 days time". I calculate it as a doubling time of 31.48 hours, so I think my doctor is a little bit unsure about how hcg levels work! The nurse said that it's still noted down that I am further along than I say I am.

Hey mine was only 19 11dpo the 48 hours later it was 58.5
I think your numbers are fine Hun x

Oh awesome! Youre levels sound good to me! At 5 weeks i was 736 and 48hrs later i was 1666.

I asked my old midwife with Sophie and she said it was an ok doubling time but not great either, far out, these people exect a lot :-(.

That's a great doubling time as far as I'm concerned!!!!

here's a good website that talks about healthy doubling times (samples taken from only Healthy Full Term Babies, so it's a good reference point)

https://www.betabase.info/chart/doubling/single

At your levels I think your time is perfect.

Congratulations!!!

Thanks very much!

Would you guys believe that a nurse from the practice just called and there is another form for me waiting at reception to do hcg AGAIN! The GP reviewed all my results and still thinks the doubling time is poor, though this nurse actually said to me "what the fark is he talking about, it doubled in like 31 hours!" so I'll go back again tomorrow afternoon. All my other first tri bloods were good.

You know sometimes I do wonder whether some generalists actually know much about early pregnancy! This unnecessary stress re levels is one good thing about the UK system in that we don't routinely get BHCG tested at all. Your doubling time sounds grand to me isn't it 63% rise in 48hrs for a healthy pregnancy at your gestation? I think you're fab!

It isn't routine here either and I've never had it done before, I think he just tested it at first to confirm I was pregnant. He's also confused about weeks pregnant (from LMP), how far along I am and when I am due. Perhaps he's a bit old and fuddy-duddy! I haven't interviewed a midwife yet so not used to dealing with a doctor in pregnancy. We have a national health system much like yours, but do choose our own midwife. I think you get one assigned?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->