Had my first midwife appt today

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - First Trimester' started by Clartylou, Oct 7, 2008.

1. Clartylou

Clartylou Mummy to Samuel, Pgt no#2

Well as the title says I had my first midwifes appt today. It went well, because of my high BMI I will be referred to the anaesthestist and will be consultant led (although may never see a consultant apparently).

I didn't have to give a urine sample or bloods. She asked me where I wanted to have baby and I said the RIE, I don't live in the catchment area, but she said thats not a problem. I should technically have baby at the SRI, but RIE is closer to work/family and will be easier for H to get to when the time comes. Due to not having the baby at SRI they didn't take my bloods and this will happen at my dating scan which will take place at the RIE. MW also told me that RIE only do one scan (dating), but SRI do two (dating and 20 week scan), I don't know if she told me this to change my mind about location.

The appointment lasted 45 mins and mainly consisted of answering a lot of questions, having my height and weight checked and BP (which I think MW was surprised by - absolutely normal!).

I kinda feel deflated by the appointment, but I'm not sure why.

Clartylou x

2. PuffinMuffin

PuffinMuffin Loving being a Mummy!

Just wanted to say chin up :) everythings starting to move forward now and your visit sounds very similar to mine :)
    big hugs xxx

3. meg

meg Mum to 1 and TTC!

have you read any reviews on RIE?

I'm sure with my BMI I will be consultant led too, so its nice to see someone else is too!

4. Clartylou

No Meg I haven't read any reviews, but my sister had her wee boy there 3 yrs ago and my friend had her wee girl there 2 yrs ago and everything was fine.

I knew before seeing the midwife i'd be consultant led as had read up on it. MW did state I would not necessarily see a consultant tho lol.

Clartylou x

5. elmaxie

elmaxie Mummy to Nathan & Hannah.

Hello!

Where are you in Scotland? I am thinking Glasgow? I am over in Edinburgh.

I have my 1st mw tomorrow and recon she will give me the high BMI chat too.

Dont let it get you down, just think about that scan and seeing baby!

:hugs:

Emma.xx

6. viejita

viejita Well-Known Member

I didn't know you get special treatment for being overweight!!! I'll watch out for that one too when I have my first appointment.

7. Rah

Rah Mummy to 2 princesses

Im under a consultant as well for BMI over 30 but as you said i dont think i will see her that often

8. Mummi2b

Mummi2b x Mummy to Adrhianna x

i havent had a my midwife appointment , i have had my scan but i had some woman come over and fill in my yellow nots but i have a midwife appointment next tuesday 9am really early

9. pinkmac85

pinkmac85 Mom & pregnant with #2

My BMI is very high..but my midwife is still taking me..maybe its different over here in canada ?

10. meg

meg Mum to 1 and TTC!

i'm Edinburgh too! have 1st scan tomorrow and 1st midwife app on monday!

11. Clartylou

Hi Emma :wave:

I'm in Falkirk, however, things have taken a strange development regarding birth location. Am posting separately about it.

Claire x

12. elmaxie

elmaxie Mummy to Nathan & Hannah.

Wel I had my midwife today and am being reffered to anaethnatist due to high BMI also she said I could be part of a study into something but because of my pregnancy brain I cant remember:dohh:

Anyway I declined as it wasnt a research more a case study but she also couldnt give me much info on it either so I said I will have a think over the next 4 weeks until my next appointment.

Off to find your location past.

:hug:

Emma.xx