Had my first visit with a fertility doctor...

MKAC2005

Reaction score
I am feeling overwhelmed and nervous after my first visit with a fertility doctor. He was very nice and informative and he also did a basic vaginal ultrasound. My insurance looks like it is not going to cover anything, which is another stress factor. I was given lab slips to have my FSH checked and something called Anti-Mulleria Hormone. Then I also call during my cycle to schedule a Saline Infusion Ultrasound and my fiance is suppose to have a repeat semen analysis. The doctor said if after those tests are done and clear then I will do an HSG, which really makes me nervous because I heard they are painful. Just a lot of information at once and I don't even know what i'm looking at financially...

I had an hsg, it didn't bother me, some pressure but it wasn't painful. My scan was normal. Perhaps the doctor was too rough or women with abnormalities made it painful for them? Are you going to a fertility clinic b.c it's been 7 months of TTC? It doesn't look like you temp. Have you tried OPK's?

I have been TTC for 10 cycles now. I was charting/temping and doing OPK's, all which showed I was ovulating but I felt it was becoming too stressful so I stopped doing it all a few months ago.

I'm going to tell you what my old OBGYN told me. Once you go down this path things can go very quickly or very slowly. Take a deep breath, it can be a lot to take in at once. :hugs:

Okay so the blood tests they are going to do are most likely going to be to check your egg quality, thyroid, and to see if you have PCOS. I had two HSGs, one under surgery and one without anything more than a Ibuprofen.

I can tell you that if your tubes are blocked, that is when it might be painful (from what I've heard), but mine didn't hurt too much. The only part that really hurt was when they were putting the catheter in and blowing up the little balloon thing. It felt like period cramps.

I wish you tons of luck and hope it goes quickly and smoothly for you. <3

EDIT : My insurance DID not cover infertility treatment at all, but they coded it differently for me (because I had a cyst on my ovary). Without help from my insurance I was looking at close to 70K with my surgery (laproscopic)/ultrasounds/blood tests/HSGs.

I agree with PP. My HSG was painful because one of my tubes is blocked. My insurance doesnt cover infertility either but my doctor coded my primary diagnosis as "irregular" bleeding" and "PCOS" so even though we are TTC the insurance has to cover it because the diagnosis does not say infertility. But I would not stress too much over the cost...medical bills are usually not due up front...so you don't have to have the money right away...you can always set up a payment plan

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"