hair colour

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - First Trimester' started by helenas81, Oct 27, 2008.

1. helenas81

helenas81 Well-Known Member

hello everyone,
    I always colour my hair but now as im 5 weeks pregnant im wondering if its still ok to do it??

2. Dizzy321

Dizzy321 very proud mammy to 3!

i would wait till after 12 weeks personally, i waited till middle of second tri myself,and will try to do it as little as poss. but they say there is no evidance that it harms x

3. helenas81

thanks, i wondered as a mate said today no cant colour anymore as it will harm the baby. i was worried as planned on doing it tonight, But think i will wait now till after 12 weeks
    Thank you xx

4. Waiting2bMommy

Waiting2bMommy Levi and Jax's Mommy!

I heard you can only do it until 3rd trimester then no more, not sure though.

5. helenas81

think ill leave it till ive spoken to my midwife,

6. Arcanegirl

Arcanegirl Bazinga!!

Theres difference of opinions and different answers to this question.
    its own preference really, theres no link to colouring your hair actually doing any harm though some people just like to be on the safe side.

You could get highlights done that use a cap, that way no dye touches your scalp.

my own opinion, i didnt see any harm in doing it before 12 weeks its merely coisidence that mine needs doing now as ive passed that point lol.

7. loz

loz Well-Known Member

i asked my midwife this when i was preg with my little girl and she said that it does not enter ur bloodstream so it will not cross the placenta, just 2 make sure try not 2 let a lot ov dye touch ur scalp. have u googled it?

8. Arcanegirl

Arcanegirl Bazinga!!

Never a good idea to google...

9. Sherileigh

Sherileigh Well-Known Member

My doctor said to have absolutely no caffeine, but said ok to haircolor..so I'm thinking that it really shouldn't be a problem. I will have to do mine soon, I think I'm going to look for something a bit more natural though...less harmful? Not sure what's out there though...

10. Ive switched to semi permanent and have only done it once since being pregnant.

11. lammy456

lammy456 pregnant omg possibly 2

nope i spoke to midwife and hairdresser also the only thing is i was told that due to hormonal changes the colour may not take

12. Sherileigh

Sherileigh Well-Known Member

Ooh yeah...someone told me that too. I said that I didn't mind having purple hair as long as my roots weren't showing...:rofl:

13. MamaK

MamaK Mama to Miles

I actually dyed my hair myself at around 2 weeks pregnant, as of course I didnt know I was pregnant at this point.

When I got a :bfp: I freaked out thinking, 'oh my god, what have I done, as I dyed my hair a few weeks ago and it was all over my scalp'.:dohh::hissy:

I asked the midwife and she said it doesnt pose any harm, HOWEVER she said it is best that the hairdresser does it, rather than yourself, as to minimise the amount that gets on your scalp.

Mine BADLY needs done (grey hairs all shining through) but I am waiting til the end of my 1st tri and then going to the hairdresser... just to be on the safe side ;)

xxx

14. mrsholmes

mrsholmes Well-Known Member

i really need mine done but am waiting till 12 weeks, just in case! I have all over colour so i couldn't have a cap really. but will ask the midwife as well on thurs

15. Angel2Fire

Angel2Fire Well-Known Member

The only test done on hairdye was with hairdye and animal fetuses. It was found to cause damage to the animal fetus, but the chemicals they used were 100 times stronger than what is actually in the amount of hairdye we use!!!!!!

And then there's the fact that the dye might not take as well because of your hormones changing.

16. ClaireyF

ClaireyF Joshua & Bump to be!

My friend who is also pregnant dyed her hair a few weeks ago (just started 2nd tri) and it affected her scalp, it made it really dry and caused dandruff. She did dye it pretty much bleach blonde though... :S

17. pookies24feb09

pookies24feb09 Sally - Evies mama <3

My midwife told me it was fine to dye my hair as long as I was in a well ventilated room. I think it's more of a personal preference to be honest! I dyed my hair at 10 weeks and the colour didn't take too well... Just need the energy to do it again now lol...

18. PitBullMommy

PitBullMommy Princess, FF & Angel Mom

I dyed my hair with Charlotte, I just waited until the second trimester to do it.

19. Dukechick

Dukechick Wife & proud Mom of 2

When we went to the clinic to find out FOR SURE if I was positive..... she said I could dye my hair as long as there was no ammonia in it.

20. Bellylicious

Bellylicious Well-Known Member

Hey Ive worried about this too. Ive noticed grey hairs since Ive been pregnant but Im not going to risk colouring my hair until Ive had the baby. All those chemicals cant be good.

What about Henna? Would that be considered a natural alternative? Anyone know?