Hair dye??

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - First Trimester' started by babynewbie, Apr 15, 2009.

1. babynewbie

babynewbie Well-Known Member

Hi, just wondering can you have your hair dyed while pregnant?

Also, while im here, i have a stinking cold, whats safe to take for it?
    I know i cant take asprin, what not too sure what i can take.

Thanks

2. Poppy7

Poppy7 Trained BF Peer Supporter

Hello and congratulations on your news :happydance:

Firstly, the hair dye debate!!....you will read a lot about this on the internet and I was in exactly the same predicament as you when I was about 5 weeks pregnant. From what I can understand there is no evidence to show that dying your hair when pregnant, even in the 1st trimester (which is when they advise against it the most), is harmful to your baby. I read a lot about it and asked lots of people for their opinion before I dyed my hair. I am a natural blonde but dye my hair brown so my roots can look terrible!! So....at approx. 5 weeks I DID have my hair dyed. My hairdresser is pregnant and she assured me that all would be fine. They say that foils are the best type to go for as they have minimum contact with the scalp but I also have a full head tint with my colour. The same day as I dyed my hair I had my first appointment with the MW. She said she would have advised me against it...cue me bursting in to tears and fearing the worst. However my MW is quite "old fashioned" so I accept her opinion but you will hear of SO many people dying their hair and I will be having mine done again (in about 2 weeks in fact). I love my baby and if there was documented proof that it is harmful I would not have had it done, however there isn't and so many other pregnant ladies have it done. Sorry for my garble and hopefully there is a hairdresser on here who will be able to advise you further.

With regards to what painkillers you can take....I was told that paracetamol is fine and that is what I have been taking.

Good luck and take it easy. :hug:xx

3. Lazy Leo

Lazy Leo Well-Known Member

Because I was actively ttc for a while, I dyed my hair back to it's natural colour before falling pg (well after my first m/c and before this pregnancy). As Poppy says there is no hard evidence either way and if you went with every single that is 'right' you'd do nothing at all lol! i was reading the other day whether nail varnish is safe :muaha: Ultimately it's your choice, I doubt it will do any harm but I certainly would do at as little as you can get awy with. But that's just me.

As for painkillers, plain paracetamol is about the best. I get killer headaches normally so now I reach for the paracetamol at not quite the first hint, maybe the second or third hint of a headache - because if they take hold proper I know paracetamol won't clear them!

4. Duffy

Duffy Well-Known Member

Hi congrats on the being pregnant! I am in the same boat with my own hair I personally decided to not do my roots. As for being sick, I was sick the week five and it was horrid and I didn't take anything for it because I was too scared! I know if you call your OB they will tell you safe stuff to take, I really hope you feel better soon. My BF made fun of me because I couldn't take anything the next time he is sick, he not taking anything HAHAHA!

5. Wendyk07

Wendyk07 Mummy to Derrin and PAL

Hi there,

I have dark brown hair and right now grey roots. I can make my mind up whether to dye or not. Theres a new 10 minute dye out there that i thought might be a good idea as its minimal contact but again i am so unsure. Dont have my MW apointment until 2nd June so dont know who to ask. I dont think i can stand grey roots for another 7 weeks.

:hug:

6. babystar

babystar Guest

I dye my hair. I just dont bleech it

:hugs:

7. Jolinar

Jolinar Mummy to Nic

I glad someone asked this, i was just getting horrified at the thought of being totally grey at the end of my pregnancy ;)

8. MsEmski

MsEmski Well-Known Member

I have really dark brown hair and usually have semi colours on it (full head) due to really bad grey/white hairs in a halo above my ears, but still underneath. I haven't had it done for a while, but I have had my hair cut into a different style so you can't see them as much... They seem to be spreading quite a lot now though :-(
    My sister is a hairdresser and she did tell me why it didn't used to be safe to dye the hair, but that it's pretty much safe now. But can depend on specific colours, also I believe that as our hair changes during pregnancy, it means that our normal styles are less likely to come out normal.
    She may have been talking out of her arse just to get me to colour it though!!

9. MishC

MishC Has a little princess!!

I use to be a hairdresser and it's totally safe to dye and bleach your hair through out your pregnancy. I had bleach on mine twice in the first 12 weeks :)

10. babystar

babystar Guest

that is reassuring thank you... my OH moans at me for dying it when pregnant. :) thanks :)

11. caitlenc

caitlenc Mommy to Tiny Seahorse

I asked my Doctor, and he said to go right ahead--said the dyes today aren't made with such harsh ingredients, and not to worry about it, so I colored it yesterday. I definitely feel better without 2 inches of gray roots!!

12. MummyToAmberx

MummyToAmberx Mum to 3 Girls 1 Boy

I personally wouldnt dye my hair in first tri.
    I waited till i was 28wk with my first, plus dying my hair isnt a large must do task!

13. karentia

karentia pregnant

hiya i debated this for weeks but in the end i had to dye it , far too many grey roots :rofl: that was at 8weeks im now 11+6 , my sister dyed hers too while preg both times and both babys were fine

14. Mynx

Mynx Mum of 2 Gorgeous Girls!!

I dyed mine too.. First time I didnt know I was pg and the second time was over the weekend... it needed doing!

15. AP

AP Well-Known Member

I'm a hairdresser too, but I personally choose to wait til 13 weeks- I mean, who knows the truth? You get some that say no and some that say yes, experts say this and that.....

Also in my experience i have seen hair go a different shade to the one desired - hormones - something to watch out for! LOL!

Anyway if you choose to do it - make sure your well ventilated and all that jazz

16. ellie

ellie Mum to Kalden

interesting! i usually henna mine, no idea whether it's any safer than chemical dye ... i thought i'd wait until 2nd tri, just in case ... but the grey roots are really bugging me already!

17. ahava

ahava me & hubby

I had my hair tinted last week and due for my highlights next week. I use organic hair colour, which my hairdresser recommends, and i have no qualms to have my hair coloured. However, i desperately need a spray tan, but will hold off on that one...

18. lou1979

lou1979 Mummy to 3 beautiful boys

I Had my hair highlighted today!

19. Mumof42009

Mumof42009 Mum Of 4 Preemie's

I need mine doing so think will wait till weekend be nearly 13 wks then! Can see few grey hairs :rofl:

20. Mynx

Mynx Mum of 2 Gorgeous Girls!!

Glad I'm not the only one with the dreaded grey hairs then!! :hug: