Hair dye???

Patsy7

Reaction score
So what's everyone's opinions on colouring your hair in the 1st tri?

I have a full head of highlights so bleach and tint and my roots are sooooo bad. Is it safe to have my hair done? I've heard as well that it might not take or take too well?

I am 5wks 4days.

Any advice / opinions greatly appreciated x

My hair dresser said to wait til past the first tri x

Hi there :)

I am a bottle blonde and my OB said that it's ok to dye my hair even in first tri. I remember researching it and finding that dark hair dye in the 80s and 90 had some iffy chemicals in but they have since been fazed out making it safe to dye your hair in pregnancy.

Also if I remember correctly the embryo doesn't start to take nutrients and supplements from the body until week 6. Please do double check this though.

On the other hand I went to a famous colourist in Paris for a change and she refused to put any dye on my scalp because I was pregnant, she did highlight away from the scalp which I wasn't too happy with. She said she won't until I am past 7 months.

Hope that helps :)

My cousin has been a hairdresser for over 15 years and said it was fine to dye hair during 1st tri. I just dyed mine 2 weeks ago, and baby is just fine!

I dyed mine at 5 weeks. Baby is fine. It's safe to dye hair at anytime in pregnancy. Not a lot of the chemicals are passed through the skin and even if they were they can't cross the placenta. Just make sure you have it done in a well ventilated area.

Some just prefer to wait until after 12 weeks as a caution.

I am pg with my 5th and have dyed my hair throughout all my pregnancies, tonights colour of choice is blue, I have never had any problems with the dyes/bleaches etc taking either.

I dyed my hair while pregnant with DS and he's perfectly fine
I'm sure a lot of worry is cautionary worry.

wow thanks for all your response ladies! i think i will go for it- i can't cope with these roots anymore let alone wait another 2 months!!xx

This really frustrates me I'm not ranting at you personally I've just had so many people row about it , unless you eat it then no dying your hair is not going to affect your baby at all in the slightest , on the other hand due to hormones being all over the gaff they reccomend not to dye hair because your hair may not take as it usually does and may die a bit at the ends or again because of the hormones you could have an allergic reaction , i have three children been pregnant 5 times this is my 5th , I have always dyed my hair (I'm a bit extreme and I love having my hair different so it never stays the same for long ) and nothing has happened yet whilst I've died mine except the slight bit of hair frying on me but sleep with some conditioner in and some clingfilm round it and it'll be back to normal by the morning ! Again not ranting at you just the subject as stupid people make up crap for people not to do things when they are pregnant and it frustrates the hell out of me ! So when bleachin hair be careful because of the high levels that probably will fry your hair but other then that don't worry about it atall , same with tattoos you can get them they just recommend that you don't because one your body's not in its normal state and may look weird when you go back to normal and also the hormones flooding your body out are either going to make you bleed more then normal or make it hurt more , but other then that it's all totally safe :) thought I'd enlighten you all :) x

ok so should i let my hairdresser know that i'm pregnant before i have it done then so she is aware that it might affect my hair? don't really want to tell her cos she is a family friend and not really told anyone yet x

I shouldn't worry about it if you don't want to , especially if it's hi lights or low lights all over head colour is more just keeping you eye on it as long as you happy don't worry at all but if it burns or stings your head to the point you can't take it just ask to have it taken off straight away (basic common sence really ) but don't worry too much over it if it is an all over colour you will find that even normally you head will have patches were it really hurts especially bleach but you know what's normal to you my head burns if I go blonde so I stick to other colours but even then I'll have patches that hurt but it's not to bad so nothing to worry about but if it starts really hurting ask them to take it off and you'll be fine , I mean you've probably realised since you've been pregnant you will have noticed a slight change in your hair , mine keeps going greasy all the time due to the hormone changes but it'll even out and then you'll beable to do it with no problems x

I still dye mine, I dont need to do mine for a while though few weeks before i found out i was preg i had my red topped up so I think I'm good till around 2nd trimester haha by that time i will want to go dark again haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->