Hair failing out after birth!!!

love.peace

Mama
Reaction score
Can we prevent it? It's happened to me a few months after every birth and I'm dreading it. My youngest is only 21 months and we've just come out the other side. Anyone not suffered with this previously?

Just to clarify, when I say hair loss I don't mean the natural amount that comes with brushing and washing hair. I mean the bald patches I get around my hairline and the thinning :'(

I'm absolutely dreading this too. After I had my son I had bald patches and my hair line was sooooo thin. Just when I got back to normal I got pregnant again haha!!

I don't think there's anything we can do to prevent it but if you do find something please tell me!

Oh it was terrible the first time. My bangs broke near my scalp so I had all these little hairs sticking out and my DH was shocked by how thin it got. I got really worried. It slowly started to grow back in but after about 2 years they still have a long way to go and now I'll be going through it again. I don't think there is anything we can do! :cry:

I had this too, in photos of me with DD around 6 months you can see my scalp when my hair was tied up. I still want to punch the hairdresser who claimed you only lose what you grow as extra during pregnancy. While I was sat there with massively thinning hair! My hair is naturally thin, so will have to go back to having a bob - when I've just grown it all back, but I look like a witch with it all straggley and thin post partum :(

I don't know a lot about this, but if you weren't breastfeeding could you take hair replacement drugs? They have Rogaine for women don't they?

Also wondering if hormonal birth control would help or hurt the situation.

My friend who had naturally thin hair to begin with took biotin once her hair started falling out pp, it did wonders! It made her hair thicker and healthier again and when she stopped taking it the pp hair loss still was not as bad as it was before she grabbed that stuff. That's what I'm getting if my hair loss gets out of control.

Thanks NerdyMama; never heard of biotin, just had a quick read and it looks ok for breastfeeding too!

I'm pleased I'm not the only one but it does completely suck.:-( I'll be breastfeeding so don't want any drugs but will check out biotin. I'll try keep my diet as nutrient rich as possible too. Oh I'm really dreading it. At least my flabby belly (which I always have for a while after birth) I can hide.

im dreading this too! I had major bald patches along my hair line last time.

I have a lot of hair and it was just coming out in clumps with ds2! I am dreading it this time as my hair was so thin!

Didn't have it at all with ds, that I noticed. I have very thick hair though so that could be why. It doesn't happen to everyone.

I thought the reason we lose so much hair after birth is because it tends not to fall out during pregnancy? But bald patches a bit extreme :/

You go from having massive progesterone to next to nothing which can make you lose your hair. And are you stopping your prenatal vits after child birth? The iron in them helps with hair loss. Biotin helps us absorb omega oils - so instead of purchasing biotin, spend the money on decent omega oils, this will help protect your skin & hair during your hormone changes. Unless you know you can't digest omega oils, but that'd be pretty weird. I've thought about asking the doctor for progesterone cream to help the sudden hormone loss but if I don't have a cycle then I won't know when to take it. Plus I don't know how it'll effect bf-ing. You're mean to take progesterone from cd20-AF. Increasing it may prevent hair loss.

That's really interesting actually about it being hormonal because my hormones went back on cycle super fast and I had my period 33 days after I had ds. 32 days is my normal cycle and I lost no hair. I was breast feeding, well mainly pumping due to having an ill child and my supply shot down. After 3 periods it just stopped. So maybe this hair loss is a good thing.

Hair loss happens with weight loss too so bariatrics doctors usually put weight loss patients on iron and omega oils. But post-partum hormonal reasons are hard to prevent. Omega oils will help prevent but going from massive amounts of progesterone to nothing is hard. Progesterone is awesome, helps us sleep, relaxes us, estrogen is quite the opposite, keeps us on edge (for when baby cries), doesn't let us sleep, causes weight gain (like we need more of that), and as we lose the ability to produce eggs between 40-50 our progesterone stops and with only estrogen women get more breast cancer around 50-60's. That's why I avoid soy, it mimicks estrogen, causes infertility when given to infants in formula (although due to American lobby groups has only been taken off the market in Europe & New Zealand).

Mine did this as well for the first 7 months after I had my LO.

Thank you 2have4kids. With every pregnancy I've been severely anaemic and on high dose iron tablets but they alway tell me not to take them after the birth. I'll ask for a blood test in hospital and continue to take them if needed. I look into getting some good omega oils and hope they work. Thank you

Thank you 2have4kids. With every pregnancy I've been severely anaemic and on high dose iron tablets but they alway tell me not to take them after the birth. I'll ask for a blood test in hospital and continue to take them if needed. I look into getting some good omega oils and hope they work. Thank you

You poor thing, no wonder why you lose your hair! But seriously I don't know how you deal with tablets. They're SUPER hard to digest - mostly give us constipation. If you get this from your iron try liquid or spritzer water. Omega oils also are fantastic in third tri while your baby's brain is forming. I hope you do better this time. Why don't those stupid doctors tell us about common sense stuff like this? I have a fantastic naturopath doc who's helped me with much of this including advise never to take iron pills - always liquid. All the best bella!

Liquid iron:
https://www.florahealth.com/product_categories.cfm?category_id=4&prod_id=87
Seltzer water:
https://www.nelsonsnaturalworld.com...ials/how-does-spatone-compare-to-iron-tablets
I don't know where you live but Spatone was recommended by another pregnant lady here on B&B and sold everywhere (great reviews too)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->