hair loss UPDATE

loz

Reaction score
my 6 year old daughter hair has gone really thin and is snapping, she used to have lovely thick hair and now is just a mess, she also looks pale. what could be the problem im worried sick!

UPDATE:

took her to the drs today because she has got worse, hair falling out, losing weight but eating more than normal (bottomless pit!) moody, hyperactive, emotional, bags of energy

he suspects over active thyroid so she has to have blood test tomorrow morning

where i thought the hair was snapping is actually new growth where she has lost hair, really hope she is ok because the side effects say heart problems :-(

Could be anemia hun gp and a blood test should find out if its that, could also be a thyroid problem but i was very pale and had thinning hair when i was anemic, iron tablets soon sorted it though :)

it did cross my mine anemia but i thought u had to lose blood to have iron levels low?

Hey loz, not nesscarily though that is a common way people get anemia. Sometimes it can be change in diet, or an illness that has caused it. Some people get it and can't even pin point what might of caused it! x

thanks, she does look pale. im going to get her checked over at the drs and give her loads of iron filled food

i think i have sussed out what it is, she goes swimming lessons on sats (her dads mum takes her) i dont think she is washing her hair after (she says she does but her hair looks matty when she gets back on the sunday) i think that is what is damaging it, im going to buy her swim cap and see if that helps

Good idea hun, if she still looks pale might be worth the blood test, know kids hate them ( i did) but it's worth it if the cap thing doesn't work! x

A friend of mine had an over active thyroid and they had the same symptoms, they were eating loads but the weight was falling off and they were pale and tired a lot! She has her thyroid checked every few months now and takes tablets and is miles better! I hope you get some answers soon :hugs: x

thanks for that, she not tired tho, has more energy if anything. she had bloods taken this morning so i will update in 5-10 days when i get the results

also thyroid problems runs in my family

Just wanted to let you know my daughter was born with an under active thyroid(hypothyroidism) and she is great, I had an over active thyroid (hyperthyroidism) for years and managed it pretty fast with meds. Good luck to you and your daughter!

what do u do to control it with your lo? if she has it will she have to take tablets for the rest of her life?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->