Hand xray 6 weeks pregnant

bex3614

Reaction score
Yesterday I tripped in garden and broke 2 fingers. I went to A&E and they took 2 xrays. I made them aware i was 6 weeks pregnant, and therefore I wore a lead strap thing round my tummy and another apron around the rest of me.
It wasn't till I got home that I started worrying and 'googled' the risks to which I found radiation can cause 'birth defects' or 'childhood cancer', especially in first trimester when baby's organs are developing. I was horrified and started crying.
When ive read more it says diagnostic xray such as arms legs chest etc are unlikely to cause any damage, its higher risk for such as abdomen or spine xrays or repeated exposure.
I just wish I didn't have any xrays now cos all they did was strap 2 fingers together!
Gonna be worrying throughout my whole pregnancy now :'(

Thankyou for any advice x

I had an X-ray when I had my middle son, I had one of the aprons on and he's fine and a happy 4 year old now. I think as long as the technicians use the proper precautions you will be fine. Xx

I work with x rays (but not a radiographer i'm part of a multi disciplinary theatre team), i am cleared to work with the lead aprons on and behind a lead glass screen (which is what I have to do anyway) the only time they'd worry is if there are a lot of difficult cases which require the patient to have 15 mins+ of x ray exposure time at once. a quick shot of your fingers with the proper lead protection on should be fine

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->