Has anyone else NOT watched what they eat??

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Third Trimester' started by Hollie506, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Hollie506

Hollie506 Well-Known Member

In every tri there have been loads of posts about what people are/are not allowed to eat or drink, and I just wondered if anyone else (like me?) hasn't really changed their eating habits much?? :shrug:

Dont get me wrong, I've totally stopped smoking and drinking (mostly), but if I've fancied a glass of wine I've had a small one. I've also been having mayo and fish and cheese...I'm not even sure what cheese I'm not supposed to have! :blush: I haven't been completely irresponsible or anything, but I haven't overly changed until I found out I had gestational diabetes that is :dohh: Am I alone here??? xxx

2. Seity

Seity Mom to Gabriel and Samuel

I haven't changed what I eat except to not drink. Though I do have the occasional sip from my husband's drink.

3. tiggercats

tiggercats Guest

The majority of what we are advised not to eat, I rarely eat anyway (if at all). So I haven't changed my habits, I figured a couple of runny eggs (lion stamped, salmonella free ones), a bit of pate, brie or smoked salmon are not going to do any harm as long as I know they are fresh and less likely therefore to give me food poisoning.

4. Mize1982

Mize1982 Mya-My gift from God!

i dont really eat the things it says not to anyway, but i have been craving uncooked salami and was almost going to buy some yesterday till my mum threw a hissy fit about eating it.

good job she doesnt knw i have been having mc donald milk shakes lol

5. kiwimama

kiwimama Soon to be family of 4!

Ha - I didn't even find out I was pregnant until I was about 16 wks so didn't avoid anything I was 'meant' to until then. (Haven't ever smoked or drank so no issues there.) But even after I found out I still probably had naughty things like eggs that weren't quite cooked enough. I couldn't get enough of bbq'd sausages either and since our bbq didn't work, every weekend we were out buying bbq'd sausages from outside shops which probably wasn't that healthy! Oh well!

6. bekkie

bekkie Mommy Due Sept 20

I stopped smoking and drinking alcohol, but otherwise everything is pretty much the same - I've paid for it in weight gain... but I've had a great pregnancy so far and both baby and I are healthy

7. KarenLV

KarenLV Well-Known Member

I stopped all alcohol and avoid soft cheese but thats about it. My doctor wants me to lessen my calorie intake as I have gained quite a lot during my pregnancy,so since yesterday I have been trying to eat boring, sorry I mean healthy!

8. Baby2ontheway

Baby2ontheway Mother of 2 and expecting

I was put on a diet for my gestational diabetes but mainly just ate normal food in smaller sizes...seems to be working out fine for me...sugars are controlled and baby is right on track. I occasionally have a sweet or something but Dr said that wont kill me lol!

9. Nic1107

Nic1107 Mommy to a toddler

Only things I've given up are alcohol and sushi, and I've cut down on caffeine a bit.

10. Essence

Essence Due March 10, 2010!!!

I never have smoked, and I used to drink but stopped when I met hubby so I didn't really have any habits that I had to stop when we got pregnant. All we have been careful about is making sure that the food I eat is fully cooked :) As for snacks- bring on the sugar! Lol. I am amazed I havn't gained any visual weight beyond the massive bump because I have given in to every craving, and yet my bump is still solid with no extra padding. I wish I could always eat like this and stay the same shape, Lol.

11. MiissMuffet

MiissMuffet Well-Known Member

i eat too many lollies :blush:

12. new mummy h

new mummy h First little princess!!!!

only thing ive stayed away from is cheeses with mould on like stilton, goats cheese, camembert, brie (which i loooooooove!! :cry: )

ive had med rare steaks, runny eggs, prawns, u can eat cheese as long as its hard like cheddar or soft like philly! and most mayo is fine aslong as its not homemade with raw eggs :)

i stopped smoking the night before i took my test, but ive had a few glases of wine with lemonade :)

xx

13. Hollie506

Hollie506 Well-Known Member

Oh good! This is really comforting :thumbup: So many women really worry about what they eat, it seemed like I was the only one who wasn't! I was expecting to start riots with this post and be told what a terrible mummy I would make :haha: xxx

14. Squidge

Squidge Mummy & WTT <3

Can't say i have watched what i've eaten, probably did in first tri but that's it. Although to be fair, i don't really eat the stuff they tell you not to so that's not a problem. Alcohol hasn't been a problem either cos i can always take it or leave it and i've left it :lol:

15. EmmaMarch2010

EmmaMarch2010 Well-Known Member

Everything in moderation. A lot of things, like others have said, that we're not supposed to eat I dont eat anyway but I tend to think the guidleines are there so that we dont eat those particular things in excess. I've eaten prawns a couple of times ( I really miss eating more of these) mayo in sandwiches, and have indulged in no more than one small glass of wine at the odd social gathering but by and large, Im trying to eat a variety of good foods, which is something I tried to do before pregnancy anyway. My sweet tooth is probably my problem area though!

16. MrsQ

MrsQ Mummy to Mikey and bump

only thing i havent done is drink but then i am not a big drinker.
    i ate nuts all way through and since then have been told its fine to eat nuts on the food standards agency thing.
    I am dying for alcohol tho.
    xxx

17. lynnikins

lynnikins Well-Known Member

ive cut down on caffine and almost completely cut out alcohol and ive stopped soft or mould riped cheeses and cured but uncooked meats
    but i dont eat the rest of the stuff ur not supposed to anyway

18. chuck

chuck Well-Known Member

Not really to be honest as I think half the recommendations are scare mongering anyway.

The things I haven't eaten are things I never really had in the house to eat anyway like blue cheese/brie but I have eaten some blue cheese from a buffet.

I've eaten mayo, shellfish, deli ham, salami, coleslaw, eggs, nuts especially peanuts mmmmm starbars, unpasturised cheese....I've drunk alcohol but only ever 1 small glass of wine/cider a time.

Meh everything in moderation.

19. bexie1985

bexie1985 Well-Known Member

ive stopped smoking and drinking, i maybe have one glass at xmas and i had a glass on my birthday! But other than pate and soft cheese (which i really fancy atm) ive been the same, had a mcfluffy yesterday, it was lovely. I think you can get over paranoid. I ate normal with my little girl too, and shes alright...lol....i think!! x

20. MandaAnda

MandaAnda Well-Known Member

I think Chuck's got the right idea - all scaremongering for the most part. I think that, as long as you're sensible, you'll be ok. I've not had a drop of alcohol since my BFP (well, maybe a drop, as I licked the back of the spoon that had cherry brandy on it when I was feeding the Christmas cake and puddings). But I've had brie and camembert, the meats they say not to have and shellfish. I've not had pate because I'm the only one in the house that eats it, but if it was on offer I'd have it (one little bit in the third trimester isn't going to overload me on vitamin A). I may have a tiny bit of alcohol on Christmas and maybe on my birthday next month and then just have non-alcoholic substitutes for the rest of the day.