Has anyone ever had appendicitis?

susan_1981

Mummy to 2 boys :)
Reaction score
Last night, my husband texted me when he was on the train home saying he felt really sick. I thought "sick bug". Anyway, he was on the train just in front of mine. He called me when he got off and I could barely understand him. He was slurring his words and not making a great deal of sense. I went into the chemist to get him something for sickness. By the time I got home, he was bent over the toilet, being sick and doubled up in pain. I panicked, didn't know what to do so, as I do in any crisis, I called my mum. My mum said she'd come round and we'd take him up the hospital. I asked DH if he wanted me to call a doctor but he said no. But he looked so bad, I called an ambulance. He was actually crying out in pain and struggling to breathe. So the ambulance came, he didn't have a high temperature (although as I'm TTC I sometimes make him take his temperature for fun - as you do and he is usually 36.2-36.4!). His temperature was 36.8 but he was shivering but I know that's not a high temperature, but higher than normal for him. They monitored his heart and took his blood pressure, all was fine there. The paramedic then asked DH where it was hurting and he said it was on his lower right side. He'd had this pain since lunch time but it had gradually got worse.

They felt the area where he was in pain and it hurt more when they pressed on it. So they took him off in the ambulance and gave him some gas and air and that eased the pain. So we sat up the hospital for 5 hours last night, me, him and my mum. Waiting, waiting and more waiting. They took bloods and urine sample. Had to wait hours for those results. Doctor took him in and said he had a higher than usual white blood cell count which could be a sign of appendicitis, but they said lots of other things can cause that and he did recently have flu. Anyway, they then told us to wait to see a surgeon. So that was another hour wait. Saw them and they pretty much said the same thing, examining his stomach for about the 3rd time. They wanted him to stay in to observe him but, him being him, didn't want to. So they said that was fine but to come straight back if the pain got any worse. He still has the pain this morning but milder. Could it be appendicitis? I don't really know what to do. I thought at first it could be trapped wind but I can't see why that would cause the pain where it is. Just wondering if anyone on here has had an appendicitis and what it was like? Was the pain extreme and then got milder?

I had my appendix out when I was 13 and the pain got progressively worse,I started getting tummy pains on the friday and by sunday evening was in hospital.
The pains for me started up near my belly button and then gradually it moves down to the right hand side near your hip.
It could still be a problem with the appendix though so they may still want to take it out.
donna
xxx

My pains got gradually worse too until I was bent double and hardly able to breathe

He should've stayed in the hospital for observation tbh & it is very important for him to get back there if the pain comes back as severe as you described it last night because if it IS his appendix it could burst leading to peritonitis which is VERY severe (not trying to scare you but it is life threatening if not caught quickly enough)

In my personal opinion the safest place for him to be is the hospital :hugs: xx

He says that the pain is almost gone this morning. I spoke to his mum earlier and she said it sounds like a grumbling appendicitis which is where it flares up and causes pain but it can just go back down again on it's own. Something like that anyway. I know he should have stayed in last night but I know him and he's so stubborn. So I'm off work today to keep an eye on him. I was actually wondering if it's just hunger pains as he hasn't really been eating much these past few days, but the fact that it's low down on his right side, I wouldn't have thought that was it. I'm giving him some breakfast now. Hopefully that'll help him feel better. If he feels any more pain today, he's going straight up that hospital, even if I have to drag him there!

My ex used to get this - it went on for over a year before they took his appendix out. I don't think he's had it again so I believe it was his appendix. They only took his out because they didn't know what was wrong with him.

Susan, if you do go up to the hospital - ask them to investigate for renal colic or kidney stones.
Pain can radiate down your front to groin mimicking appendicitis or you can have pain in your back. Was his urine clear?
The pain is crippling and can make you vomit but if it is a stone passing - it often lessens afterwards.
HTH

He provided a urine sample and blood. They didn't mention the urine sample so I'm assuming that's all clear. They just mentioned the white blood cells in his blood test results. My friend asked if it could be gallstones. He had them poking and prodding his stomach all last night, would they not be able to feel that?

I had my appendix out after I had a couple of bouts of pain, I had fainted at work due to the pain of it and got carted of to hospital. Was in there for one night then they took it out and I've had no problems since. I'd advise you keep a close eye on him and if it starts to hurt again get straight to hospital. If it ruptures it can be bad news!

good luck XX

I had my appendix out after I had a couple of bouts of pain, I had fainted at work due to the pain of it and got carted of to hospital. Was in there for one night then they took it out and I've had no problems since. I'd advise you keep a close eye on him and if it starts to hurt again get straight to hospital. If it ruptures it can be bad news!

good luck XX

p.s the surgery isnt scary - mine was done keyhole, knocked out and I was home the next day. off work for 2 weeks whilst it healed (i had a physical job too so couldn't stand up for long) but all in all it wasn't a big thing.
X

OH had his appendix out in Sept, he was ok on Monday night, Tues morn he had a slight temp and right sided pain. I made him a GP appt.

By 5.30pm he was in hospital waiting to have his appendix out, he was kept waiting for 48 hours and by the time they operated it was close to bursting and he has a 8 inch scar on his tummy because they had to make a bigger incision because of the size.

He also contracted cellulitus and needed to stay in for a week for strong antibiotics.

V xxx

My appendix actually burst :(

It had been grumbling on and off for about a month, but Doc wrote it off as IBS. For me, the pain was central - and the weekend of the burst, it moved to my right hand side. Symptoms was just very, very extreme pain!

I'd certainly recommend you and your OH pursue, as if caught early...the op is pretty standard. I missed that stage, so was in hospital for over a week :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->