Has anyone got a staffy and is it good with...

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Sarah_16x, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Sarah_16x

Sarah_16x Mum to Jayden & pregnant

Hiya my boyfriend wants a dog (staffordshire bull terrier) we have seen an 8 week old one....

Has anyone got one and is it fine with kids i know every dog is different some are mean and some aint but have you had any problems with one?

I have been reading up about them and apparently its the best dog to get because say if jayden pulled its tail or something they wouldnt lash out because it wouldnt hurt them as much (something along them lines anyways).

But i thought if i get one as a puppy then i can teach it not to hurt e.t.c i know it wont take that long to train it not to be.

xx

2. baby.love

baby.love Guest

I have a 9 month old staffy girl and she is amazing with kids, They are fantastic dogs

3. marley2580

marley2580 Well-Known Member

Staffies are known as the nanny dog. I would remind you though that if you get a puppy they do have sharp teeth and need to be trained properly.

4. Mum2bewaiting

Mum2bewaiting Mummy to DS & an angel

We have an 18th month old staff, and he's fab with my DSD. They are incredablely loving and as any animal are as good or bad as they are trained to be! If u do get one thou, a tip, start as u mean to go on... ours is incredably spoilt, and likes lots of attention! lol

5. Ilove

Ilove Guest

Staffs are big softies, its a shame they got such bad names by being owned by badboys who trained them badly

They can have short attention spans and be hyperactive, but the majority are just bouncy. Theyre intelligent and silly and usually love kids

Staff pups can be a right handful. There are lots of older dogs in rescue shelters unfortunately (because of their bad name and overbreeding) so that may be something to consider, although trainingwise with the baby the puppy is the best idea

Enjoy:)

6. lorrilou

lorrilou Well-Known Member

Ive got a 4yr old staffy, have had her since she was 6wks old and she is absolutely brilliant with my kids. Nicole was 18mths when we got her and the two of them are the best of friends, she is great with callum too. Will just stand and let him pull her ears and her tail without batting an eyelid.

7. charliebear

charliebear Mum to AJ & Pumpkin

Our Staffy is 2yrs old. He's been fab with AJ.
    Will come over and see AJ, AJ has to date as well as stroking, kicked him with both feet at once(dogs fault for lying at the end of his mat!), pulled whiskers and kicked him in the face! Staffy hasn't battered an eye.
    I dont leave them together, no dog can be trusted that much!

I definitely suggest starting as you mean to go on with training.

8. nataliecn

nataliecn Mommy to Grady and WTT!

Just like any breed of dog, it really depends on their training and what not! Staffy's are obviously really popular over there with all of you - they're banned here in Ontario, which is a shame because I love them!
    But from working in a humane society for years, I've seen more aggressive Golden Retrievers, yet half the bloody town wants Golden's because they assume they're good with kids!

As long as you do the proper training with the doggie, they'd be good with kids!

9. Whisper

Whisper Mummy to DD & DS

In all honesty i don't think the breed of dog has a lot of bearing on whether they are good with kids or not, it depends how they are trained and brought up.

As long as you remember a dog is just a dog and will always act with its primal instincts you just need to learn how to nurture them to fit in with your lifestyle.

10. mandy81

mandy81 Well-Known Member

We used to have staffy, he was great with Sophie-Louise would have sat beside her pram and if anyone went near her he went mad (just barking).

I used to treat him like a baby. lol xx

11. alice&bump

alice&bump mummy to katie

my OHs mate's got 2 and they're fine with his kid. i'd never ever trust any dog with katie tho. at the end of the day, a dogs nature is to attack and kill and you never know when they're gona turn. doesnt matter what breed or how they've been brought up. we got a dog when i was about 7 and my sis was about 2, he really is part of the family and no matter how much i trust him, i dont trust him around katie and never leave them in the same room. i dont think he would do anything, but its always int he back of my mind xx

12. mrs_tommo22

mrs_tommo22 Well-Known Member

Like any dog they need lots of training and attention - I have a staffie bitch whos nearly 5 months and she has a long way to go. Though at themoment shes a lovely pup with a lot of growing up too do!

13. Mamafy

Mamafy Mum to 5 & Angel Mum to 4

I've had alot of Staffies over the years, all great; loving & loyal dogs :)

Getting a puppy will be better but puppies, espcially staff ones are hard work! I trust them but you have to also use your common sense too.

14. Lornb

Lornb Member

My sister has got a 12 year old staffy and he still runs about like he is a 6 month old puppy. He is excellent with the kids and he loves them to bits. Never leave any dog in the same room unattended.

You are more likely to get bitten by a golden retreiver/lab than any other dog.

My mum got bitten by our Briard for no reason what so ever.

I would say go for it.