Has anyone had a bladder/urine infection while pregnant?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Third Trimester' started by libsoncat, Jan 31, 2011.

1. libsoncat

libsoncat Well-Known Member

I think I have a urine infection or something like that due to pain and burning down below. (I'm not have burning while urinating though which I thought was one of the symptoms.) I'm going to see the nurse later today and she will check my urine. Has anyone had this? Did you get anti-biotics? Which kind are safe for pregnancy? I'm scared to take anything because I'm pregnant and I've gone 35 weeks without taking anything. I hate taking tablets.

2. cheekyalana

cheekyalana Mum of 3!

I have had 4 infections so far this pregnancy and my main symptom is pain passing urine and feeling like I need to go all the time. Maybe you have thrush? it can make you very uncomfortable down there, itchy and burning, which i've also had after my antibiotics!

3. Mum2#1

Mum2#1 Well-Known Member

I have been hospitalised for a urinary tract infection and had NO burning when passing urine, i just had a lot of pain in the top and bottom left hand side of my bump, and felt the need to go to the too ALL the time, however when i went there was nothing.
    Anyway your getting tested so should be fine.
    Because my infection was so advanced I was hospitalised as i said and put on a drip to knock it hard, then on discharge i took antibiotics for a week. There are antibiotics that are more then safe to take during pregnancy, don't worry about that :)

4. someoldgirl

someoldgirl Well-Known Member

I went to triage on Saturday after having constant sharp pains in my left side. Turns out its the start of a uti. No burning or any problems weeing though.

I'm on a course of antibiotics which are perfectly safe in pregancy. They won't give you any that aren't. x

5. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Mother of 4

I had it with Alex for over a month , I was peeing blood, no sleep and cititus. I thought I was in labour it was so sore. some anto boiltics gave me thrush so while pissng blood and lava ever 5 mins i had that :( did get an ant b that worked but made me feel sick, much better than pain. horrible, safer to get anti biotrcs as it can start labour and you dont want that,

6. libsoncat

Thank you. I do feel like I have to go to the toilet ALL the time! This just really started yesterday so hopefully I have caught it early and can get my antibiotics and the pain will go away. I'm not as worried about taking the antibiotics now.

7. N1kki

N1kki Guest

3 so far for me i got given antibitotics and was also tested for anything else with urine samples.My tips wipe front to back,wash yourself with soft flannel not a sponge,drink plenty of cranberry and orange juice and water it'll flush toxins out,becareful if your still intmate with your partner.

if you get thrush your get canestan from doc with the pill to put inside and cream,tips for thrush same without the cranberry and o.j.

8. lilfish

lilfish two beautiful girls

I'm currently in the middle of a course of antibiotics for my second UTI in a row. It's rubbish but pregnant ladies are more prone to it. Drink lots and lots of water, avoid sex until it's cleared up too.

9. libsoncat

UPDATE* According to the nurse, I do not have a urine infection. She is sending it to the laboratory to make sure. WHAT? I have the same pain and discomfort and I am in the toilet all the time! I want to drink lots of water but I hate constantly being in the toilet. The nurse told me to go to see my midwife on Wednesday and perhaps I'm having a muscle problem and the baby is moving downward and causing pressure? I'm only 35 weeks, she shouldn't be engaging this early right?

10. brunette&bubs

brunette&bubs Mommy to James

Yeah, I had a UTI and my OB prescribed me antibiotics and i decided not to take them because...
    A: I didn't believe I had a UTI because i had no symptoms
    B: I wanted to avoid taking any medicine.

Well I ended up in the hospital a few weeks later because that UTI gave me pre term contractions.
    So they prescribed me Macrobid and I just took it and my baby is just fine several weeks later.

If you don't have a UTI, sometimes pregnancy can just cause peeing to be uncomfortable