Has anyone here had to do 17P injections?

Spiffynoodles

4 kids 4 and under
Reaction score
My last baby came at 35 weeks thanks to my Irritable Uterus, and each of my babies has been coming two weeks earlier than the one before, so my OB wants me to do 17P injections from 16-36 weeks, in hopes it will keep baby cooking longer.

Has anyone had good experiences with this treatment?

I have irritable uterus too but my baby was born 37,5 so I won't be doing any I injections xx

What is 17P? I had to do terb shots and was prescribed procardia pills (but never took them because they are class C) with DS at 34 and 36 weeks because of PTL.

Laila, they didn't have me doing anything last pregnancy either, because the one before came at 36+6, so just about term. But then after DS2 came at 35+0 they've decided to take extra precaution. But I know not everyone with an irritable uterus dilates early. I just happen to be one of them. :dohh:

WantsALittle1, 17P are progesterone shots. I had to do Procardia with DS1, and it was not very fun. My OB says the 17P are pretty side-affect free, though, so that's good. Do they know why you went into preterm labor?

Polyhydramnios was the best explanation they had. I had poly from about 30 weeks onward. It seemed to have been making my uterus very angry but they never technically called it irritable uterus. It was just frequent, very disorganized contractions. Very little dilation luckily but with poly my OB was very concerned about my C-section scar being contracted on, so they brought out DS at 38+1 the THIRD time I had PTL haha.

So sorry you are going to have to be doing progesterone injections :( I hate progesterone, it makes me feel awful, and makes me emotional too. I'm on suppositories right now

Laila, they didn't have me doing anything last pregnancy either, because the one before came at 36+6, so just about term. But then after DS2 came at 35+0 they've decided to take extra precaution. But I know not everyone with an irritable uterus dilates early. I just happen to be one of them. :dohh:

WantsALittle1, 17P are progesterone shots. I had to do Procardia with DS1, and it was not very fun. My OB says the 17P are pretty side-affect free, though, so that's good. Do they know why you went into preterm labor?

Shoot I didn't think of that. This is my third and I'm hoping I won't have irritable uterus again. I went into preterm labor with my second at 32 weeks. Was hospitalized bc I dilated to 1 and given steroids for lungs and meds to stop the labor. I was even visited by nicu. Was there for 3 days then did 6 weeks modified bed rest. It was sooooo annoying bc when those damn contractions would start they felt like I was in labor every time. They were consistent and wouldn't stop until My water broke at 37,5. I didn't have it with my first though... I wonder if it would happen again...:nope:

Shoot I didn't think of that. This is my third and I'm hoping I won't have irritable uterus again. I went into preterm labor with my second at 32 weeks. Was hospitalized bc I dilated to 1 and given steroids for lungs and meds to stop the labor. I was even visited by nicu. Was there for 3 days then did 6 weeks modified bed rest. It was sooooo annoying bc when those damn contractions would start they felt like I was in labor every time. They were consistent and wouldn't stop until My water broke at 37,5. I didn't have it with my first though... I wonder if it would happen again...:nope:

Laila, not to alarm you, but the majority of women who develop a Irritable Uterus, tend to have it in all subsequent pregnancies. :( I didn't have it with my first, but had it starting at 29 weeks with #2, then had it starting at 8 weeks with #3, and have it this time, too. My OB actually had an Irritable Uterus with all of her children, too. (It's kind of nice have a doctor that can relate, though!)

Polyhydramnios was the best explanation they had. I had poly from about 30 weeks onward. It seemed to have been making my uterus very angry but they never technically called it irritable uterus. It was just frequent, very disorganized contractions. Very little dilation luckily but with poly my OB was very concerned about my C-section scar being contracted on, so they brought out DS at 38+1 the THIRD time I had PTL haha.

So sorry you are going to have to be doing progesterone injections :( I hate progesterone, it makes me feel awful, and makes me emotional too. I'm on suppositories right now

Well, that's good that it was a condition that you won't necessarily have again this time. :hugs: But dang! My OB made it sound like there wouldn't really be any side affects to the progesterone shots, so now I'm worried, because I've already been super emotional this pregnancy without it!

I'll definitely ask at my next appointment regarding the irritable uterus and the possibility of re occurrence. I also heard progesterone shots were horrible :(

I'll definitely ask at my next appointment regarding the irritable uterus and the possibility of re occurrence. I also heard progesterone shots were horrible :(

Dang! I guess my OB was going a little over the top with her bedside manner when she said the shots would be a piece of cake. :neutral:

Maybe they are a new kind that don't cause many symptoms??

I sure hope so! Of course, if they do their job, I can't complain too much. :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->