Has anyone started potty training at a "younger" age?

Angel2Fire

Reaction score
I'm creeping in from the baby forum and just wondering if anyone has started potty training earlier than usual?

Chaise is well established with baby signing and tells us when he needs his nappy changing so I'm thinking of introducing the potty when its obvious he's going to poo.
I'm planning to be consistent but not forceful and if it doesn't work then it doesn't work and I'll try again at a later date :)

I was just wondering if anyone here has tried it early, how it worked for you and if you have any tips?

My LO is nearly 17 months and we haven't started potty training as yet, she tells me when she has poo'd (not before!), and knows what a toilet is for, as she follows me everywhere, (cant remember last time i went to toilet alone :dohh:)

Most people i know have started potty training around 16 - 18 months at the earliest. I do have a friend that has been trying since about 11 months and is now 16 months and tbh i think its a bit young (just my opinion tho!) she has only just started walking so i think when she couldn't even get to the potty herself seems a bit pointless :shrug: She also screamed as she was being made to sit on it and didn't want to :wacko:

Like you said you could try him and see how it goes, but i wouldn't be disappointed if he doesn't as he's still young at 7+ months.

Good Luck!

i have no idea about earlier as my daughter dont seem ready yet, goint to try at 18 months, i was told best thing to do is dedicate a week and take nappy of and dont put it back on, only bed time nappy, other wise they may get confussed but i havent tried, just didnt want to read and run lol

I have heard about a few people starting around 12 months but thats the earliest I have heard. I thought I had my little boy potty trained early (21 months) but I dont know now. I thought they had to be walking before you started to train ?? but again I dont know. No harm in trying but I wouldnt expect to much, one of the things I have heard is the earlier you train the more likely they are to regress. You know your LO better than anyone hun and if you feel he could handle it then you should go ahead. xx

You might want to look into elimination communication. People that practice this start right from day one working on getting their LOs to use the potty. Their techniques might work for you.

I have a very close gf that is practising this and her little girl is very consistant with using the potty and has been for months. It's a lot more work at the start and a lot of time in the bathroom ( a big reason why we didn't follow in their footsteps) but at a year old her little girl was mostly potty trained.

Might want to google it :)

Yes. I googled "infant potty training" and got some good results with lots of info. I tried putting the links here, but couldn't since I don't have 10 posts yet. Sorry about that.

I have 5 kids, ranging in age from 18 ms. to 12 yrs. Potty training was a different experience by each child, just like labor & delivery was.

I wouldn't potty train a baby, just because diapering is so much easier and faster. But, if you want to try it, and you think that your baby is ready, go ahead and good luck.

And please, do let us know how it worked out for you.

My co worker (who is on her second baby while I'm on number 1) told me her son took a long time to get used to toilet training (3 years or 4 years something like that) and so with her daughter she got a potty very early on and every time she knew she was going to go to the toilet, she just took her nappy off and popped her on it. I wouldn't even look at it as toilet training, simply just getting her familiar with the potty and how you sit on it. If your baby is signing that he needs to go toilet, then just pop him on the potty and see how it goes. Good luck!

Thanks for the replies

I find it very interesting how everyone has different opinions :) I have a friend who has a little boy who is 18 months and she's just started potty training him, personally I hope to have Chaise potty trained or at least almost by then! But thats working for them so its cool :)

Im not expecting to have him out of nappies anytime soon, I just want to get him familiar with the potty and hopefully to the stage where he can sign to me before he fills his nappy :)

My little boy is 19 months old and i havnt started yet, i really dont think he is ready yet, hes not really talking and doesnt let me know if hes had a poo either, i think i will get a potty soon though and start trying but i think it would help if was talking a bit more xx

I started Potty training my son at 14 months. He is now 2 and is almost completely "pee" trained. It borders on elimination communication, because he "tells" me he has to go, and sometimes I just know somehow. We just need to work on pooing in the potty. We go on trips and all sorts of things and he tells me he has to pee, and sometimes he'll cry if he has to pee. A child can be potty trained by the time they are 2, it is possible.

Everything is possible. It depends on you and your child. Each child is an individual and different. I've seen children completely potty trained by 16 months and I've seen children not potty trained by 3 yrs. (with the parents out of their minds...) Nothing was wrong with the child or the parent, it just didn't
'click' yet.

You do what you think is best for you and your child. Good Luck! :happydance:

We started with jacob about 12months. Not forceful. But he started running and hiding and then croching to do his poo. So we started taking out a potty and letting him sit on it and play with it. Now jacob's poo's have been really bad lately due to him being ill so when were in the house jacob walks about with no nappy on as due to the bad poo's he has really bad nappy rash. Well now when we notice jacob running off to hide to do a poo we take his potty over and sometimes he will sit on it and do it, other times he poo's on the floor and wears the potty (clean) as a hat :rofl: but because he is nappy free alot of the time we thought we may as well introduce it. If we are out and he does a poo i will always ask him 'have you done a poo' and he will reply 'ye' the only difficult part of this is when i ask 'do we need to change your bum,' as i get told 'NO!' and hit in the face :rofl: this part im working on. But if he is in a better mood when i ask him he will go get the changing mat. Im aiming by 2 to be potty trained but wont worry if he isnt, just letting him go at his own pace and at least getting him used to going on the potty is a start. Hopefully soon he will be able to tell me 'before' he goes as will save me mopping the floors every night :) XxX

my son is 2.5 have tried but he wont wear pants and it's little cold to run around in the nuddy !! so i'll wait till it's warmer !!

if you can do it good luck to you think of the money you'll save on nappies !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->