hate nhs dental already (pointless moan)

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Third Trimester' started by kes_a, Jan 25, 2011.

1. kes_a

kes_a Well-Known Member

sorry ladies i need a slight moan.

for a few days now the gum around my wisdom tooth has been swollen and abit painful.just enough to make eating hard work.it looks like its come away from the tooth and split slightly.

this morning i gave in and decided to try get myself an appointment some where to see a dentist.baring in mind ive only recently moved so not registered with anyone.i called all the local places i could get to and none of them are taking on NHS patients atm (dont see the point of paying a fortune if i can get it free with my maternity card)

So called the NHS helpline to see if they could help register me.to which i was put threw to a rather rude women. she wouldnt help on the getting registered part and said shes going to put me in for an emergancy appointment but the only one she could/would offer me was at 2:30.i asked where it was and explained i was heavily pregnant with no car(hubby took keys to work with him) and in a area i didnt no and i havnt a clue where the bus stop is.she told me until i agreed to the time she wouldnt tell me where it was.so i was kind of backed into a corner and had to agree.

well shes only sending me somewhere with no parking(helpful if i did have the car keys),on a first floor above a shop in a town centre ive only been to twice with the husband and isnt with in walking distance.sounds like the perfect place for a pregnant woman with no sence of direction or knowledge of the area.grr so going to have to call a taxi now.its lucky i have money in my purse for once as usually i dont carry any.

i no its a silly pointless moan and yes i no im just being hormonal lol

she just frustrated me at how rude and unhelpful she was.what made me laugh is she told me to take my proof of pregnancy with me lmao.well its slightly obvious im pregnant and about to drop but if you mean to prove im registered with the NHS then yeh obviously id take it along esp after asking for nhs care for that reason in the first place lol

2. flugella

flugella Mummy to Amy

Aw hun, I feel for you! We're not all like that in dental! Shame you aren't near my clinic in Grimsby!

At the moment NHS "registration" as such doesn't actually exist, which may explain why you got no help there. Each time you see your dentist for a checkup you effectively enter into a short-term contract for a course of treatment and then if you want to go back 6 months later and they're happy to see you then it starts again. Just depends who's taking on patients at the moment but a lot of practices are happy to take on exempt patients like us mums!

But she sounds like a very rude cow and I'd kill any of my staff if they talked to people like that!

3. kes_a

kes_a Well-Known Member

i think i was just extra annoyed after calling 3 places less than a mile away from me that i could take a stroll to evan if it took me abit longer than a normal person and none of them would see me as i said i was pregnant with a nhs card.and their all nhs practices as i went on the nhs site to get their numbers.one place said they wasnt taking on anymore nhs paticents until april and was only taking private

4. KatieB

KatieB Well-Known Member

It's so crap and a total lottery all depending on where you live. I tried a couple of years ago when I wasn't pregnant to register with an NHS dentist, ringing loads all to be told they weren't taking new patients on, I spoke to so many rude receptionists. (on a seperate note it was the same trying to register with the doctors until I threw a hissy fit on the phone). I was petrified of the dentist at the time and it took all my courage to make the calls. In the end I registered with a private practice in my area and wouldn't look back, but I'm lucky I can afford the checkups I know. I've since moved area but still go to that practice. My wisdom tooth is coming through bit by bit at the bottom and the gum gets really sore sometimes, it's horrible and I sympathise. At least it's happening near the end of your pregnancy so if you need something doing it may be able to wait. I have been using corsodyl mouthwash daily and it's really good for your gums and any infection you might have. Hope it goes ok x

5. kes_a

kes_a Well-Known Member

i have all 4 wisdom teeth and their all threw already.just think my gum is infected.usually id put it off and see if it gets better but thought it might be best not to atm.hope they dont say i need it taken out :(