Have any of you ever wet yourself at an ultrasound?

Dark_Star

Reaction score
I've got my scan tomorrow, and I'm always terrified I'm going wet myself before they are done... they make you wait SO LONG sometimes. At my last one I was waiting for an hour with a full bladder! :lol:

I've sure been close!
At both ultrasounds I've had so far, they have let me empty my bladder, so it makes me wonder how necessary it really is? My last appointment started 45 minutes late too. It was awful!

Omg at my 12 week us i almost did. Thank god i went up and asked if i could empty my bladder a little as just when i went up to ask dribbles were starting to happen. I suggest bringing an extra pair of clothes just in case. I have never in my life had to pee sooooo bad. I hate that its going to be like that again in may.

First us was horrible! I followed the instructions at first. Drank all the water and was done an hour and 15min before. At the hour mark I swear I was going to burst! So I cheated, still an hour I figured, that's close. Went to the washroom and then drank like mad the same amount again. Was dying 15 min later and Dh and I drove off to the scan in a hurry as I couldn't stand it! Made Dh stop at gas station as literally could not hold it and felt sick (also was looking six months pregnant as full of water bloat). Went to washroom at gas station on way to scan (30 min prior) and bought and chugged bottle of water. Got to the scan and when I went in it felt like I was going to burst , she had me empty out some!!!!

So, pretty sure I have the smallest most over active bladder ever. Will not be following the instructions quite so closely next time as clearly not necessary with my over active bladder !

I wouldn't drink so much you are going to burst. I have had 4 scans so far, first one was internal so empty bladder, second one started external but to get a clearer view of hb they went internal so I got to pee. The third one I had to pee on the way as I was going straight from work and I am a teacher so I had already been holding for a few hours - I drank a 500ml bottle on the way which is about a 20 minute drive and that was fine, although she did say she could physically watch my bladder filling and it was full by the end of the scan! In my last scan I just didn't pee for a few hours without actually drinking water and that was fine too - I was 10+1 so because baby is bigger it isn't as important to have a full bladder.

God it's a nightmare isn't it!

Luckily my last one I was seen bang on time, so was full but not bursting (I did need to nip off to the loo straight after though) but that was a private scan.. no idea what the nhs one will be like on Tues but at least it's early in the day so they shouldn't be running too late lol x

Honestly, no? lol i think some of you are filling your bladders far more than you need to. I was told 1 pint half an hour before, you don't need to be on the verge of peeing yourself!

Last time I came close at my 12 week scan! Normally I swear I have a bladder the size of a paddling pool, I can drink all day and hardly ever need to pee. In pregnancy I can't hold more than half a pint without really needing to go. I had to empty my bladder mid scan (not on the bed, they let me go to the toilet :haha:) because when she was pressing hard it took a mammoth amount of clenching not to go right there and then.

I haven't, but I've been close!! Not only are you bursting to pee, but they push down sooo hard!!!! Surely it must happen a lot, especially if you have poor bladder control.

I went to a scan once with a bladder so full they couldn't see anything past the bladder - they instructed me to go and pass half the volume in the toilet. Stopping halfway through is one of the most unnatural things I've ever done!

I've always (well I say always, after DS2's 1st scan I stopped caring! lol) ended up being told to go to the loo as my bladder was too high/in the way. For the last 5 scans I've had (2 with DS2 and then 3 with DS3) I've never bothered with the whole bladder being full thing and it's been fine.

Yeah with my next scan in may im only going to drink two tall glasses within half an hour rather than the four they request. My bladder has never been able to hold so much at one time as i use the bathroom so regularly.

I didn't have a full bladder on my scan , I don't think you have to have a full bladder to the point of peeing yourself, just not an empty one haha

Yeah i was very surprised when i read on my sheet to have 4 tall glasses. But i wanted to follow it so that i didnt have to rebook if i didnt drink enough in time. Now i know i dont need to follow it that closely hahaha.

Not yet :haha: but my god have i been close!!!...

for my 20 week scan with my daughter, i was ready to explode!!! i went in the scanning room and got told to empty my bladder bit as it was too full!... how the hell are you meant to empty it bit when your absolutely bursting? lol its not nice, i like to think you get a scan picture as your reward for suffering lol

I honestly thought this would happen to me today! :haha: I only drank 500ml before my scan, but I think my bladder is small as it fills so quickly. The sonographer commented on how big & full it looked. Once the images came up on the screen, I soon forgot though! The wee afterwards was crazy satisfying. Haha. I'm dreading my nhs scan as they're always running late! I've got an early appointment, but I reckon they've given about 20 others the same one! Argh. I only just managed to hold it this morning for 10mins, never mind anything longer.

Jilliank that happened to me too. It doesn't help to be too full. I usually go to the loo 45 min before scans now & chug a full water bottle the 1/2 before scan. Works like a charm.

My sheet says "6 250mL glasses, to be finished a half hour before appointment time"

My sheet says "6 250mL glasses, to be finished a half hour before appointment time"

Unless they are using ancient rubbish equipment that is so excessive. It is not good for you to have such a full bladder, can lead to UTI's and all sorts, I really wouldn't stress and just drink until you feel a tiny bit uncomfortable, but definitely not to the verge of peeing.

Id say drink only 2 tall glasses or one full water bottle. You really dont need to drink more than that. Honestly they make you drink way more than needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->