Have I got Postnatel Depression?

Discussion in 'Postnatal Support' started by dollygirlie, Sep 2, 2009.

1. dollygirlie

dollygirlie Mother

Since having my daughter, I have feel a totally useless mother, everything I seem to do doesn't seem to stop her crying, even though I do take care of her physical needs well.
    I feel she doesn't think anymore of me than my mother or brother, just another carer
    I actually dread waking up in the morning, to face another day of screaming etc.
    All I want to do is sleep.
    I feel trapped
    I feel totally sexless, I had a bad time with my ex, as he has totally turned his back on me since her birth, I almost hate men
    I have a terrible self image, I must of put on a stone since giving birth
    I don't even want to face the postman or anyone, I just want to lock myself in and not face the world, I avoid shopping at all costs
    I feel there is no hope in my future, I just feel like I am this mothering robot till she reaches 18 then I will be in my 50's and will be heading for my coffin lol!

having said all of this I love my baby, but I am having a hard time ajusting from being single, to a single mum, I have support from my elderly mum and brother, I should be grateful, I dunno whats up with me

How do I get out of this rut, and feel there is hope again?

2. lovedupgirl

lovedupgirl Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear you are feeling like this hun:hugs:

It does sound like postnatal depression, I have had it twice and completely lost all my self confidence, hated my body, wanted to lock myself away from the world and just be by myself.

My advice would be to see your doctor straight away, he will be able to prescribe you some medication or maybe some counselling if you dont want to take tablets.

Its completely normal to feel like this hun, you are not alone, take one day at a time and things WILL get better.

3. Angel2Fire

Angel2Fire Well-Known Member

Everything you've said sounds really familiar, I'm sorry to hear your going through this too.

Try talking to your health visitor, they can do something called listening visits (it's helped me a lot, and even though they're not a counsellor it can just be good to talk to someone who's not involved sometimes.)
    Also, it might be worth going to see your GP to discuss medication or counselling.

Good luck and feel free to pm me if you want to chat as I'm going through the same thing *hugs*

4. nessajane

nessajane Well-Known Member

It does sound like you have PND hun, best thing to do is to have a chat with the Doc, they will beable to help you :hugs: xxx

5. aurora32

aurora32 Mum to my Angels

Awwww hun :hugs: certainly sounds like Pnd, go to the Dr's and have a word they will help you, and we are here for any moral support you may need we have all been there......:)

:hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs:

6. Waiting Mommy

Waiting Mommy Well-Known Member

It's so hard for new Mom's. No wonder there is such a high rate of PND ... think about what we go through! Growing a baby, delivering it, and then raising it! Are you kidding me?

I'm sorry you aren't with the baby's Dad. Hope you're better off and meet a nice man who treats you well.

Don't be put off by the label of PND. Look out for yourself and get some care. Of course it's important to take care of the baby, but don't forget about your best interests love! You deserve to be happy!

Good luck with everything. It was very brave to post how you feel on here. Don't forget to always ask for support when you need it. :o)

7. nataliecn

nataliecn Mommy to Grady and WTT!

That's a lot of feelings I've been through. Best thing would be to talk to your doctor, they'll ask you some questions, and prescribe you something to help you!

It does start to get easier. Some days I have are still rough, medication or not. But I have a lot more better days when i feel better about myself.

:hugs:

8. hexyewdancer

hexyewdancer Mummy to Roman

It does sound like you are suffering with PND.

Do you still see or speak to the HV? I tested high for it but have sort of self healed myself. Alot of mine was to do with Roman not settling but ive changed his milk and he's a different baby now.

You do need to speak to someone though hun. Speaking helps alot. I sat in silence about it until my HV questioned me on it and i broke down. I then spoke to my mum and i found that she had gone through it too with my brother and so then i didnt feel so alone.

You need to enjoy watching your LO grow and develop and you wont until you speak to someone and get treated for it. xx Lots of hugs xx

9. 2nd time mum

2nd time mum Well-Known Member

I am sorry you are going through this. It's not easy being on your own with a baby. LIke the others have said speak to someone, it often helps. The amazing thing is once you speak to someone, sometimes even family members or friends who have already had kids it's amazing how normal your feelings are. Your body goes through so much having a baby it's only natural for things to be a bit upset. Good luck xx