• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

have to go do 3hr glucose test :(

tina426

Reaction score
Well that was quick. Did my 1hr test yesterday and got an email from doc today to make sure and call the office Monday to schedule by 3hr tolerance test.

I'm high risk for gd because i have a strong family history of diabetes, family with gestational diabetes, and had a high bmi (32) when i got pregnant...

I knew all of this, but I'm still really upset. I'ma ftm and My pregnancy so far has been low risk and typical, I've focused on good habits, lost some weight and have held even the past few weeks I've really been growing in volume.

I know it's hard but try not to stress. I know it's frustrating and worrying but many people do fail the 1 hour and go on to pass the 3 hour. Hopefully you will be one of them and if not, then the diet restrictions really only help guide to even better eating habits. I had it with my first 2 and now I've come to the conclusion it isn't as bad as they make it sound. Keep eating right and make sure to exercise, whether walking or swimming or something else. Most of the time this is something easily managed and goes away after baby is born. Even though they did consider me high risk after failing the 3 hour, everything still went smoothly and I had healthy babies with normal birth weights. I wish you the best and really hope you are one of the many to go on and pass the 3 hour! :hugs:

I failed the 1hr test too, I will be doing the 3 hr test on Monday. I was surprised because I am a healthy BMI and there's absolutely no history of any diabetes in my family. I have been eating healthy this pregnancy, but last weekend we had a big party and there was a ton of left over ice cream cake, so I've eaten a ridiculous amount of ice cream this last week! I wonder if that influenced my test results. Hopefully now that I am back to eating healthy I will pass the three hour test!

I was the same way with my first pregnancy. Due to a high BMI and a family history of diabetes. I knew I was at high risk. I was bummed when I failed the 1 hour, but was told that is common, and I could still pass my 3 hour. I failed the 3 hour, which cam at a bad time and I got very depressed about it.

This time I was sent for my 1 hour EARLY (16 weeks) and I failed, but like by one point. My doctor and I decided that I would take my glucose levels fasting, and then again 2 hours after I eat. And with proper activity and diet. I have kept my levels at "normal"

She told me at last visit I will have to go in for another 1 hour in a few weeks. Which I may very well fail. But I am not concerned. I know what to do. I have been there done that. No biggy.

Well that was quick. Did my 1hr test yesterday and got an email from doc today to make sure and call the office Monday to schedule by 3hr tolerance test.

I'm high risk for gd because i have a strong family history of diabetes, family with gestational diabetes, and had a high bmi (32) when i got pregnant...

I knew all of this, but I'm still really upset. I'ma ftm and My pregnancy so far has been low risk and typical, I've focused on good habits, lost some weight and have held even the past few weeks I've really been growing in volume.

Hi Tina! I'm in Maryland too ;) I have GD this time around, never had it with my other pregnancies but it's not the worst thing, I promise! I got diagnosed with it early too! (Around 12 weeks :/) any how if you want more info please message me, I've completely controlled mine with diet but there's a reason it's worked for me that I won't share openly anymore because of the criticism I've gotten from other moms (especially those with GD) I have had zero complications and my midwife doesn't see any reason as to why I'd need to be induced or anything of that nature!

Hi Tina! I'm in Maryland too ;) I have GD this time around, never had it with my other pregnancies but it's not the worst thing, I promise! I got diagnosed with it early too! (Around 12 weeks :/) any how if you want more info please message me, I've completely controlled mine with diet but there's a reason it's worked for me that I won't share openly anymore because of the criticism I've gotten from other moms (especially those with GD) I have had zero complications and my midwife doesn't see any reason as to why I'd need to be induced or anything of that nature!

Hi! I'd like to know if possible! I wouldn't criticize.. Would just check with my midwife first :) if you feel like sharing, maybe message me sometime! I had gd with both of my first two and fully expect to this time as well :/

I'll just share it but I expect someone will pop on and tell me I'm wrong and tell you ladies not to listen to me ;) basically I go against what is reccomended by the apa and majority of doctors and I eat a low carb diet to avoid insulin...my midwife knows and is totally fine with it...basically the way I feel about it (after doing lots of research) is I'd rather alter my diet in a way that is proven to be healthier anyway (high protein, healthy fats and low grains/sugars/carbs) than put something artificial in my body. Now I will say if I absolutely had to, I would go on insulin because my numbers which anyone with GD knows have crept up especially as I've entered the third trimester but I just altered my diet more, there is a little trial and error involved but not much and my numbers have only once crept into the 160s. My midwife says it's fine because they didn't/don't stay there. My fasting numbers are usually around 90 and my after meal numbers average around 117. I don't believe that having low carbs will hurt my baby whatsoever, first I'm not completely deprived of carbs, I just have way less than what's reccomended, secondly I've seen countless number of women who have done what I'm doing and their babies are totally healthy...if anyone is wondering, I have no more than 15 carbs per meal (1 slice of bread is usually around that amount, to give you an idea) and less than 10 carbs for snacks and I always pair my carbs with high protein and try to get in good fats as well. I also think of it this way, about 50 years ago the fda told people things like butter and eggs were bad for them, we now know this is not true and butter and eggs (specifically the yolks are incredibly good for you and extremely nourishing) so I don't always tend to side with what the medical world believes is good for me/my children...

Also happynewmom, I fully expect your midwife to probably tell you not to go on the low carb diet...unless she is pretty crunchy ;)

Haha she has already told me to cut down on carbs and starches so I've basically put myself on a low carb diet like yourself! She even told me to try to cut way down on breads and sweets which I've also done. Crazy I'm still gaining more weight than I feel I should be but baby is healthy and even cutting back on these foods, I'm still getting some.. Just upping my proteins and fats more. So I actually agree with you and am finding I'm comfortable on a diet more like this than others I've been put on :) thanks for sharing!! I hope nobody gives you grief. :)

Oh wow! That's awesome! I had another midwife in the same practice that freaked out and immediately wanted to start doing monthly growth scans and everything! I was like ummmm no, my numbers have been great and I havent gained a lb, in fact I continued to lose weight but everyone reacts differently to pregnancy, for me pregnancy gives my metabolism a major kick and I always lose weight. Needless to say I haven't scheduled anymore appointments with her since then ;) my scare is if they start doing all these extra things now, I'll be "labeled" and then I will have a higher risk of induction/intervention which is what I believe the OP is fearful of.

Oh wow! That's awesome! I had another midwife in the same practice that freaked out and immediately wanted to start doing monthly growth scans and everything! I was like ummmm no, my numbers have been great and I havent gained a lb, in fact I continued to lose weight but everyone reacts differently to pregnancy, for me pregnancy gives my metabolism a major kick and I always lose weight. Needless to say I haven't scheduled anymore appointments with her since then ;) my scare is if they start doing all these extra things now, I'll be "labeled" and then I will have a higher risk of induction/intervention which is what I believe the OP is fearful of.

I totally understand that fear. It's really about where you deliver and who the doctor/midwife is. Both of mine were induced but really no reason for it.. We actually requested it both times for various reasons. They did very very little to induce my second though to get me going and I was still able to have a natural birth just how I wanted. This time I'd like to go into labor naturally. That's so good you left that midwife! I hate all the extra stuff. It's part of the reason my first pregnancy was so miserable.. I ended up switching hospitals with him last minute with totally different doctor delivering and was happy with the change so much I went back there with my second. Sadly we moved states since so I'm not sure about the hospitals here...sigh.

That must be nice to lose weight! :) although I can see worries going that way too in some respect. I hate seeing my weight go up quickly but I'm so happy baby is healthy.

I so appreciate your openness and response! I'm glad you have a supportive midwife now :)

Op, we hope you pass your 3 hour! Know that whichever way it goes, you have us to support and help! Good luck :hugs:

Thanks everyone for understanding! I'm still freaking out a bit but I've calmed down some...my mom's kind of a hypochondriac and has some serious issues associated with poorly managed diabetes and i think it all just had me worked up....

There's certainly a good chance I'll pass the 3 hr test.

And if i don't I'll likely be able to manage thru diet.

And it will almost certainly go away once i deliver.

(Our at least that's what i need to tell myself to relax)

I am sitting in the lab right now doing my 3 hr test. That drink makes me feel so horrible! Can't wait to get out if here so I can get some food to help settle my stomach. Only an hour and fifteen to go!

Yucky! Got mine scheduled for thursday :( also found out my 1hr number was 178....that seems high :(

Yeah Tina, that does seem high :( I actually refused to do the glucose test and opted to just check my blood sugars after they initially suspected I had it after my number was 149 during a blood test, I'm actually surprised they're even having you do a 3 hr if your 1 hr was 178! Best of luck, it is manageable!

I just got the results of my 3 hour test and it is negative, yay! I am so relieved. Good luck to everyone else with their GD tests!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"