Have you considered.......

Discussion in 'Natural Parenting' started by littlestar, Aug 21, 2009.

1. littlestar

littlestar Proud Mum to a Little Boy

Cloth sanitary Protection?

I don't know about you but i'm getting bit jealous of the fact that my little one will have lovely soft material next to their skin 24/7 and for my :witch: i'm going to have to have plastic and chemicals next to mine (i'm normally a tampon user - obviously can't use them post-natal)

So i've investigated and i'm looking at fleece/velour topped cloth sanitary towels they can work out expensive to start out - like the nappies. (ranging between £4-8 each dependant on absorbency)

But i'm going to have a go making my own (free patterns online) also going to make my own fleece liners and washable wipes as well so i can use the same lot of material for the whole lot.

if you want a nosey, google cloth san pro and there's quiet a few retaillers and WAHM websites.

I'm willing to post piccies of my creations when i've made some if you want a nosey. :thumbup:
    they're fine to go in a normal nappy wash too!

2. mommyof3co

mommyof3co Mommy of 4 amazing boys!

I actually really want to try the cloth pads...I haven't yet because I have an IUD and almost never get a period anymore if I do it's so light I need nothing so I haven't invested in any. But I know there are tons of work at home moms that sell them

3. Vici

Vici Mum to a LTTC princess!!

I will be using a mooncup once AF returns :)

4. RainbowMum

RainbowMum Counting down to TTC

I tried the Ella's house hemp ones and didn't get on with them at all. They weren't absorbant at all and a bit uncomfortable as well...I could definitely tell I was wearing them-so I just binned them.

I do use a mooncup though, love it.

5. Kess

Kess Well-Known Member

I use the Ella's house ones. You need to wash them a good few times before they are absobent, but once you do that, they work great. I love the funky colours. I have a purple one, black, black with lime green spots, orange with white spots, green with white spots, blue marble, and red. I find they are a little bulkier than the disposable ones, but it's not a problem and they are comfier. Particularly in summer when disposable ones make me sweaty and uncomfy down there because of the plastic, the cloth ones let me "breathe".

6. ryder

ryder Mum to Jasmine & Peyton

Ive never tried them... but they sound interesting... Although for post-natal bleeding you bleed so much you may as well just use regular pads etc because you will be going through them... Plus you will be too busy with you newborn to worry about that... because post-natal bleeding can last up to 6 weeks...

Try and make everything easy for yourself for those first couple months hun

X

7. littlestar

i'm still going to make/get some maxi pads for post natal bleeding as a cost saver (6 weeks worth o full time maxi towels can add up) - i'm going to be using cloth nappies anyway and they can all be washed together. :thumbup:

8. princess_bump

princess_bump Happy Wife & Mumma!

i was only thinking about this the other day, and was thinking of what a great idea :thumbup: though tbh, with mine, i'm soooo heavy i don't think anything could hold up x

9. JayleighAnn

JayleighAnn Guest

I have the ellas house hemp ones for my post partum bleeding and i loved them, so absorbant, comfy and pretty.

My bleeding was heavy fof the first 3 days then just like a normal period after that, I have 6 pads, washed them every night with the nappies and was fine.

10. ryder

ryder Mum to Jasmine & Peyton

You guys didnt think the pads were time consuming? LOL.... I was mega tired and stressed after giving birth, I didnt even bother with the cloth diapers.

Dont know how you girls did it! Must be super ladies!

11. littlestar

i know i'll have to use standard maternity pads for a few days etc anyway as the midwife may need to see them to check for infection etc if you've had stitches.

but after that i intend to go my own way. :rofl:

12. JayleighAnn

JayleighAnn Guest

I didn't find them time consuming at all, all I did was rinse them out with cold water and bung em in the nappy pail with Halen's nappies, then stuff them in the washer every night.

I used 1 disposable pad on the way home from the hospital but I leaked in half an hour and stained my cream sofa :dohh: so I put on a washable one and it lasted me 4 hours

13. Pixie M

Pixie M Mummy to 1

Straight after birth, I'll be using ordinary disposable pads but once my periods return, I'll go back to using my mooncup. It's brilliant!

14. ThatGirl

ThatGirl Proud mummy to alfie

i just ordered minki ones , also have reusable nappies and breast pads for a baby bunker x