have you had your smear test yet ?

I havn't had one yet, the age is lower in Wales so I am eligible... Does anyone know how to go about sorting one out? Do you just go to your GP and they arrange it?
I had letters before I got pregnant, but couldn't go as soon after I found out I was expecting, I really want to get it done, as I've been told they will do the coil the same time x

Just ring your docs and ask receptionists to book you a appointment with pracice nurse for a smear test :)

I havn't had one yet, the age is lower in Wales so I am eligible... Does anyone know how to go about sorting one out? Do you just go to your GP and they arrange it?
I had letters before I got pregnant, but couldn't go as soon after I found out I was expecting, I really want to get it done, as I've been told they will do the coil the same time x

if you had a letter just call your doctor and say you want to rebook one :hugs:

I don't want to have one but at the same time I do. I don't think I'll bother asking as I'm not even 20 yet so will only end up getting refused. So stupid. They rave ona bout how they need money for cancer research bu they won't do one simple test which could potentially save a lot of lives. I was told I should have one at mine and Graces 6 week check up but was never offered.

I don't want to have one but at the same time I do. I don't think I'll bother asking as I'm not even 20 yet so will only end up getting refused. So stupid. They rave ona bout how they need money for cancer research bu they won't do one simple test which could potentially save a lot of lives. I was told I should have one at mine and Graces 6 week check up but was never offered.

ask hun my daughter has just had new injection she is 18

nope you have to be 25 in england x

Quite a few ppl on here have asked for them early but have been refused x

And at the moment even if you do have the smear done some labs have been ordered not to test the samples that are from women under the age of 25 https://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article2303539.ece

I've had to take some time to think about how to respond to this without using a bunch of expletives. Cervical cancer in young women is EXTREMELY aggressive and usually only discovered by these tests. What your country is doing should be criminal. How many women die each year from cervical cancer they were "too young" to have diagnosed? This is negligent of your government.

In the US, you will not be denied a pap due to age, and the recommended age to start is 18, earlier if you're sexually active, because of how dangerous this cancer is for young women.

If whoever is behind this law were to lose a daughter at, say, age 21, due to not being able to test, you watch. The law will change right quick.

I am just unspeakably appalled and horrified that even if a woman get the pap done, that the lab may be ordered not to test it if she's "too young."

Over here they reccomend 18yrs (or younger if you are sexually active). I think I had my first one at 17. The doctor also told me I should have one every year around the same time. So I usually do although last time I forgot and didnt get in until last month (I think my last one was in 2007 just before I got pregnant the first time). xx

And at the moment even if you do have the smear done some labs have been ordered not to test the samples that are from women under the age of 25 https://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article2303539.ece

I've had to take some time to think about how to respond to this without using a bunch of expletives. Cervical cancer in young women is EXTREMELY aggressive and usually only discovered by these tests. What your country is doing should be criminal. How many women die each year from cervical cancer they were "too young" to have diagnosed? This is negligent of your government.

In the US, you will not be denied a pap due to age, and the recommended age to start is 18, earlier if you're sexually active, because of how dangerous this cancer is for young women.

If whoever is behind this law were to lose a daughter at, say, age 21, due to not being able to test, you watch. The law will change right quick.

I am just unspeakably appalled and horrified that even if a woman get the pap done, that the lab may be ordered not to test it if she's "too young."

thanks i agree This is negligent of your government. and it is am not being funney to get any appoiment now takes months for hospital and weeks for doctors , our NHS has got worse not better

Very well said hun, especially the bit I've marked in bold - you are so right! It is really at the forefront of the news at the minute with Jade Goody's death (if you don't know who she is as you are not in the UK, google her name hun, it was her funeral yesterday). I've had one every 3 years since I was 18, so not sure if the law has changed recently to raise the age, but it does need to come back down.

I had one the month I got my :bfp: with Ben, so do I need another one now I've had him?

Not like amy im to young, even tho iv been sexualy active for 6 years.

There was something on my local news about a woman dieing of cirvical cancer at 23!

Dont mean to be naieve but what happens at a smear?

For those of you who don't ask because you think you'll be refused ... ASK!! Firstly they might say yes (not all practices say no), you have nothing to lose and everything to gain, plus, the more people ask, the more pressure for change. Do it!!

As for the injection, I think it can only be given if you're not already sexually active (which is why they start it so young) .. I could be wrong but I think that's the case.

Here's a petition you can sign to try and convince the government to change the law ... pass it on!

https://www.gopetition.co.uk/petitions/cervical-smear-campaign-to-test-under-25-women.html

Yep, I was due one (my third) last month and had it....all you ladies who have missed one, please make an appointment x

Dont mean to be naieve but what happens at a smear?

You go in, you undress from waist down and lie on the bed with a blanket over you. My nurse is really good and chats away, tells you what she is doing. She normally finds where she is looking for with her finger first and then puts the metal thing in to open the area up and then takes a swab.

I won't pretend it is pleasant but its by no means as bad as you may think or indeed it sounds.

It's over in seconds once she is actually in there and the whole thing takes minutes.

xxx

I was thinking how cringy and uncomfortable it would be to have a smear but then I remembered I'd given birth in front of 5 people... don't think you can get more uncomfortable (and painful) than that. I am registering with a new doctor's surgery this week so I will ask about it then

Honestly, if you've given birth, you'll be wondering what the fuss of a smear is all about! Seriously! Less than a minute, not sore (just a weird sensation, not painful), a little uncomfortable perhaps but that's it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->