Have you travelled anywhere unusual?

discoclare

Reaction score
Inspired by the "eating food in weird places" thread and the "bucket list" thread. Tell me all about somewhere unusual you have been (I love hearing travel stories) and if you have one or two photos to upload, show them to me!

I love travelling and am lucky to have been to a couple of places where I don't know anyone else who has been there: Kuwait and Georgia (that's terrible English in that sentence I know). Here is a bomb in a weird museum about the Gulf War in Kuwait! And here are some strange food combos (like trout with pomegranate served with bright green tarragon lemonade) from Georgia. Neither of these were my favourite places that I have visited, but I immensely enjoyed going to both as I didn't really know so much about either place before visiting and discovered a lot of new things.

Tell me all about your travels.

Attachments

• 282.jpg
    282.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 056.jpg
    056.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 3
I've been to Honduras.

Visited Copan Ruins, kayaked on a river in the rainforest, travelled onto Utila (Bay Islands), went horseriding around the island (galloped actually, horse didn't want to walk), scuba diving, snorkling on a reef a short walk from the house.

Loved it. Would go back tomorrow

ETA: House we stayed in:

RoundHouseExterior1360510383.jpg

I've been to Honduras.

Visited Copan Ruins, kayaked on a river in the rainforest, travelled onto Utila (Bay Islands), went horseriding around the island (galloped actually, horse didn't want to walk), scuba diving, snorkling off a short walk from the house.

Loved it. Would go back tomorrow

Ooh that sounds fab! I would like to see more of central America. I have fancied a trip to Guatemala and/or Belize for some time, never considered Honduras before so should take a look.

We have family who live on Utila. My nana's aunty (I think?!) married an american in the War and moved to Ohio then retired to Utila with her daughter. Her daughter now owns the house in my first post. (she rents it out now)

My parents have been back a few times to different places in Honduras. One they recommend is:-

https://www.picobonito.com/

Oh and I went to Jordan last year. Its an amazing country full of history,saw tons of families there on holiday and the locals were all very welcoming to westerners. Food was AMAZING,although by the end I swore I would never eat hummus again. Petra was out of this world. We took a flight to Amman and travelled to the south slowly. We were there about 2 weeks.

I went to the Philippines a few years back. I stayed with my workmate and she showed us all around Manila. We then flew to another island called Negros Occidental for a few days.
We also drove up yo Bacalod City in the mountains.

On my phone at the moment, but will post a couple of pics later.

A couple of pics from my Philippine trip

A Jeepney (public transport)
https://sphotos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/208157_5439771454_7788_n.jpg

Manila skyline
https://sphotos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/215752_5439846454_2773_n.jpg

I've been to Xiamen in china, I have family there. They live in a little place in the countryside of china and they have a lychee-like fruit that grows wild in bushes

Been to Phuket & Bangkok - Thailand. Enoyed the local cuisine, rode an elephant, got an elephant 'massage' (the elephant just rests his foot on your back) got stung by a jellyfish, visited the temples, etc. We made friends with a thailand family that owned a sea front restaurant, we used to sit and eat with them every night in the kitchen. We sent letters to them back and forth for a while - this was before the tsunami.

Lived in Abu Dhabi - UAE for six years when I was a kid. My mum was a scuba instructor. We used to take the dive boat out on weekends and search for uninhabited beaches to spend the day on. Rode camels, camped out in the desert, did off-road driving on the dunes, that kind of stuff. I learned to speak and write arabic in school, but it's been so long I've forgot it all.

I've been all over thailand, laos, vietnam and cambodia.

thailand is just kinda standard holiday fare really, it's nice but I wouldn't rush to go back! if I was to go back it would be to the north of the country. the islands are nice but there's not much to do except sunbathe. the thing I didn't like about thailand was that going from place to place by bus was so boring, in the other countries that was one of the most exciting parts because there was loads to look out out of the window. thailand was just roads, not really any interesting villages or fields or anything :haha:

vietnam is the absolute best place ever, I'd love to go back! the people are friendly, the food is brilliant and there is loads of interesting history and culture. I can't really think of that much that I didn't like about vietnam :cloud9:

laos is amazing too, their village way of life looks so much better than ours, it's sad to see big massive adverts for nivea and stuff on the side of houses in small villages though :wacko: we just zipped about exploring on motorbikes and all the local kids used to run after us shouting hello, they were so excited to see white people :haha:

cambodia was a bit hard work, it was really sad. I don't know if I would go back, though seeing the killing fields and S21 was really interesting and angkor wat is amazing :thumbup:

I have traveled large parts of the world :) including last year where me and my partner hitchiked around the world :) No more hitchhiking now...the baby might not enjoy all the long car ride (the world is pretty big after all)

I've been all over thailand, laos, vietnam and cambodia.

thailand is just kinda standard holiday fare really, it's nice but I wouldn't rush to go back! if I was to go back it would be to the north of the country. the islands are nice but there's not much to do except sunbathe. the thing I didn't like about thailand was that going from place to place by bus was so boring, in the other countries that was one of the most exciting parts because there was loads to look out out of the window. thailand was just roads, not really any interesting villages or fields or anything :haha:

vietnam is the absolute best place ever, I'd love to go back! the people are friendly, the food is brilliant and there is loads of interesting history and culture. I can't really think of that much that I didn't like about vietnam :cloud9:

laos is amazing too, their village way of life looks so much better than ours, it's sad to see big massive adverts for nivea and stuff on the side of houses in small villages though :wacko: we just zipped about exploring on motorbikes and all the local kids used to run after us shouting hello, they were so excited to see white people :haha:

cambodia was a bit hard work, it was really sad. I don't know if I would go back, though seeing the killing fields and S21 was really interesting and angkor wat is amazing :thumbup:

I've spent 3 years in this area, 2 of them in cambodia. Cambodia is great! you need to see things other then the sadness. there are so empty beaches, beautiful mountains, wild animals...so amazing!

We hiked the Inca trail to machu picchu before we had kids. We've done a bit of traveling but that was one of the coolest things we've experienced.

We hiked the Inca trail to machu picchu before we had kids. We've done a bit of traveling but that was one of the coolest things we've experienced.

Definitely on my wish list! I've done a bit of travelling in central and south America. My favourite thing was seeing Angel Falls and the Sapo Falls.

I would absolutely love to do this!

As well as see Angel Falls like Discoclare.

I'm going to have wait until the kids have flown the nest 1st! (In about 40 years :rofl:)

Bangkok & Phuket. I went to the floating market in Bangkok, that was weird, no cars, transportation is on wooden boats, they cook & sell food on boats. You see kids & babies swimming in the river & men fishing, women washing clothes on the river side & others grilling food at the side of the river or on boats.

In Bangkok everything is done in the street, kiosks are all around the streets. They sell clothes along with food, drinks & they also offer massages in the middle of the street. No one is bothered about the rats that are all over the place!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->