Having a panic - Braxton Hicks /contractions? - UPDATE:more advice?

Cattia

Reaction score
Just as I was getting out of the car after work today, I kind of felt a tightness in my uterus and when I touched the bottom of the bump it felt sort of tight. There was no pain or discomfort and it hasn't happened since, I have not had any watery discahrge or something but I am soooooo paranoid about premature labour! Does this sound like it could have been a Braxton Hicks? I don't really know what they are but I have heard they can happen in second tri. Like I said there was no aching or anything but it just really worried me that there was this tightness. It probably only lasted about a minute. Can anyone advise? If it happens again should I call the m/w or does this sound normal?

UPDATE: Think this might have just happened again! That is two and a half hours between them, does that sound like it could be BH? Again, no pain or discomfort, just a tightening of the lower uterus (really not that far above my knicker line) and it felt hard to the touch. Lasted about 30 seconds. Should I worry?

hi, i've been having occasional braxton hicks (a couple a day) for the past few weeks. over the weekend i started getting on average 3 an hour and started to panic so called the midwife. luckily they slowed to 1 an hour and they seem happy not to do anything about it.

they just advised to make sure i drink plenty and not allow my bladder to get too full or it can irritate the uterus.

so i'd say it's pretty normal :)

Thanks sugarpuff, I have never experienced BH before so I don't know what is normal and what isn't. This only happened once so I suppose I should not worry yet even though I am! I guess I will keep an eye on things over the next few days and I will also drink plenty. Every little sensation worries me at the moment, I think because a good friend of mine gave birth at 27 weeks I kind of feel paranoid about it, although she had twins and they are two now and both fine! Am hoping I'll get to my due date though!

yes sounds like typical BH i have been getting them since 16 weeks, sumtimes there worse if your dehydrated or if your over doing it as long as there not coming in frequent contractions like every few min and there not very painful (they can be a bit uncomfy though) dont worry there totally normal and it will happen as your body gets ready for the birth xxx

I had my first one about a week ago which was exactly as you described, not sure if I had more yesterday morning or if I just had severe muscle ache but these were more painful.

Didn't know about the full bladder irritation though - thanks :)

BH.

Mine have increased alot since week 26.
I had 5 hours worth of BH 2 nights ago, some lasting 30mins. I sometimes get 5 before i even get out of bed. I was reading in my book this morning week 27 start to become bit more common.

I wouldnt worry, unless they are coming regular 8-10mins apart, lasting longer every 30mins-to 1hr, pain is very bad period cramps feeling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->