Hayfever & pregnancy

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Third Trimester' started by prettykitty, Jun 4, 2011.

1. prettykitty

prettykitty loving been a new mum!

Hi chickies

I just wondered if anyone else is struggling?

Im normally okay with meds (pre pregnancy) but since I have been pregnant they changed my meds to a crappy nasal spray and eye drops
    Which are like water and do not work. They gave me some piriton but they just knock me out too much. My old tablets and spray used to work but apparently can't be taken in pregnancy. I just wondered how everyone was coping/what they were taking or if they had discovered any natural remedies that work?

Xx

2. foxforce

foxforce Mummy & Pregnant

I suffer greatly and thankfully my usually tablets are fine and safe in pregnancy, I take Loratidine They are non drowsy and you can get supermarkets own brand for £1 for 14 days supply!
    I would usually use steriod nasal spray also but can't use in pregnancy :( But at least I'm getting some relief

When I was pregnant last summer unfortunately not long my symptoms went! I was hoping to be the same this time but no luck :nope:

3. kmartin906

kmartin906 Well-Known Member

My allergies are WHOOPING my ass! I sneeze all day long ... and well, excessive sneezing makes me pee my pants! Awesome!!

4. Ozzieshunni

Ozzieshunni Guest

Me too!!!! DH cut the grass in the back garden and it killed me! I've taken two prescription allergy tablets, but that's it pretty much. I spoke to my doctor before taking them so don't worry :flower: Seems like my hay fever is worse with pregnancy.

5. Lysal

Lysal Well-Known Member

You can get this electronic nasal thing from Lloyds pharmacy website. It's 14.99 and really good. It's no drugs but instead uses a light to turn off the cells in your nose that react to the pollon. Depending on how bad your hayfever is it can either stop the need for medication or at least help you cope on the lower dose stuff. I've used it for 2 years now and haven't needed anything else. My husband has 1 aswell but he occasionally needs tablets on high pollen days but not nearly as many as he used to.

6. brandymandy

brandymandy Member

ohh cant believe you are on loratidine :( i got told i could take mine so i have been sufering for nothing lol typical.

i did use vaseline rubbed round the nostrils and eyelids really helped me coz it stops the pollen entering :)

7. georgina.miss

georgina.miss Well-Known Member

YES i am struggling too and its actually stressing me out!!! i havent yet asked about meds as im already on some for blood pressure and i feel bad enough adding paracetamol to my daily dosage of drugs lol.....but yes i know how u feel and its crap isn't it :( xx

8. prettykitty

Oooo I might try the lloyds thing, I looked at my old hayfever stuff and its got steriods in and is classed as a cat C drug in preg, so even though I had a quick go with those nasally yesterday I think I will give it a miss today......:shrug:

I will see if I can have a chat with docs tomorrow, I went to chemist and they advised against Loratadine so I dont know, theyre sooooo much conflicting stuff. It so confusing. Hoping today is not as sneezy! Hope you girlies get some relief xx :hugs:

9. leanne_h_89

leanne_h_89 Well-Known Member

Mine is usually mild and I can get by without taking mess, it just gets bad on days when the pollen count is high or grass has been cut.
    Seems like it's actually worse in pregnancy, I haven't mentioned it to my midwife as i thought you couldn't take anything for it in pregnancy. It's really starting to get to me now though :( x

10. curly123

curly123 Mummy of 1!

Hi - Yes I've been suffering:cry: My eyes are so red and itchy I keep whacking water into them which helps a bit...also i was outside a lot yesterday and did my best not scratching, then when i got home and took my make-up off it seemed that all the pollen that had caught in my eyelashes was rubbed straight into my eyes aaaaahhhhh couldn't stop the itching and sneezing for literally half an hour after that!

I also assumed we couldn't take anything:shrug:

11. Lysal

Lysal Well-Known Member

12. Ozzieshunni

Ozzieshunni Guest

They advise against antihistamines in the first trimester of pregnancy because of the baby's development. I was told I could take my regular ones starting second trimester, but I never really did until now. Benedryl is ok as well.

13. aileymouse

aileymouse Mummy to Amber & Georgia

I have a steroid nasal spray and my doctor told me it was safe to use as it's such a minute amount and would not affect the baby :)

14. prettykitty

I will ask about my old nasal spray and also look to invest in the plug in

Ty its been very helpful. I cant take the new tablets they gave me as they zonk me out too much to the point I cant function :(

x