Hayfever tablets

claireyfairy

Mum to 1 pregnant with#2
Reaction score
Just a quick question!

OH and me have very recently decided that we want to ttc and I am already paranoid! Should I make sure that any hayfever tablets (and other medication) are safe for pregnant women just incase we do get lucky any time soon? Or should we wait until we find out we are expecting before worrying?

Also I have bought some folic acid as I have read that you should take this when trying to conceive- but should I see my doctor before taking this as it says on the bottle?
Any advice appreciated!!!

Hi there. I think vitamin supplements like folic acid should be fine without consulting your doctor. I didn't see mine, I just started taking them but it wouldn't be such a bad thing to go to the doctors for a check up anyway, just to make sure everything is okay ready to ttc. As for the hayfever tablets, not sure myself. From what I can gather, the baby doesn't start absorbing nutrients from you until the embryo has implanted so I shouldn't worry for now. I was thinking the same earlier but I was sneezing so much I had to take something. I have heard that locally produced honey can be a natural hayfever remedy so may take that if I get my BFP soon. Good luck

Hi - there is another thread somewhere on here about hayfever tablets (something I'd not thought of until then). There are quite a few that you shouldn't take when pregnant (including the ones that I normally take) so it would be worth doing a search for that or asking your doctor maybe?

Thanks for asking this, I hadn't even thought about my hayfever tablets! There are so many things I hadn't thought about.

Hi i regulary take antihistamine (hayfever tablets) for an allergy, i used to take zirtek which the active ingredient in is cetrizine hydrochloride, 1 every 24hours otherwise i'd be really itchy, when i fell pregnant i went to the doctor who advised that it could be potentially dangerous for baby, they had done tests into this and found that babies born to mothers who took cetrizine did sometimes have problems. So he advised if i needed to take one the best would be Clarityn with the active ingrediant loratadine, they have also done studies into this and found that you'll be find if you take this, here's an article about it:
https://allergies.emedtv.com/claritin/claritin-and-pregnancy.html

My advice is carry on as you are, when you do get pregnant have a chat with your doctor and go from there, best of luck x

Thanks divagee

The other good news on loratadine is you don't have to get clarityn, there are lots of own brand ones that have that ingredient too. You can normally pick them up for £1 for 7 days' supply. They also have the advantage of being non-drowsy (I do sometimes get these, think I will only use these this year just in case).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->