HCG doubling fine, Dr still worried? Scan tomorrow.

jessthemess

Reaction score
I'm 4 weeks and 4 days, so 18 dpo. I track ovulation with OPKs and vaginal temping. I had a chemical in December. I was on 150 mg of Clomid this cycle.

1st HCG Draw - 12 dpo with a level of 19 (Progesterone was 15)
2nd HCG Draw - 14 dpo with a level of 55
3rd HCG Draw - 18 dpo with a level of 476

Doubling time between 1st and 2nd, 31.3 hours
Doubling time between 2nd and 3rd, 30.83 hours
Overall doubling time between 1st and 3rd draws, 30.9 hours

In googling, and looking at Betabase, a level of 476 is in range and just under average for 18 dpo.

And my doubling time is just a few hours faster than the average double time.

My Dr's assistant called today, she said the Dr thinks my levels are low, and asked me to come for a trans abdominal and trans vaginal scan to make sure it's not an ectopic. She asked if I have had any pain, and I answered not really. I asked if they will even be able to see anything at 4 weeks and 5 days and she said they should be able to confirm the sac's location and that it isn't implanted outside of my uterus.

I asked her if I should consider myself miscarrying, she put me on hold and came back and said, The Dr thinks everything could still be good but she just wants to be certain.

I just don't understand why because my levels are in range and they are doubling well. Each blood draw I've had my Dr's assistant has said the levels were fine and in range. Is there something I'm missing that suggests Ectopic? Are they just being careful because of my chemical or because I was taking Clomid?

Help :(

I don't understand either my levels were 141 and them 297, primary didn't show any concern but I go to ob on Thursday

My lmp was 1/15 , average 33 cycle days, based on first draw, last Monday primary doc said I was about 4 weeks. I'll find out on Thursday .

I hate the scare game. I am in a similiar boat. My numbers are doubling fine but because they haven't seen the fetal pole yet, my dr. told me she is "not going to lie and say everything is ok, but keep your fingers crossed"

WTH.

I'm 4 weeks and 4 days, so 18 dpo. I track ovulation with OPKs and vaginal temping. I had a chemical in December. I was on 150 mg of Clomid this cycle.

1st HCG Draw - 12 dpo with a level of 19 (Progesterone was 15)
2nd HCG Draw - 14 dpo with a level of 55
3rd HCG Draw - 18 dpo with a level of 476

Doubling time between 1st and 2nd, 31.3 hours
Doubling time between 2nd and 3rd, 30.83 hours
Overall doubling time between 1st and 3rd draws, 30.9 hours

In googling, and looking at Betabase, a level of 476 is in range and just under average for 18 dpo.

And my doubling time is just a few hours faster than the average double time.

My Dr's assistant called today, she said the Dr thinks my levels are low, and asked me to come for a trans abdominal and trans vaginal scan to make sure it's not an ectopic. She asked if I have had any pain, and I answered not really. I asked if they will even be able to see anything at 4 weeks and 5 days and she said they should be able to confirm the sac's location and that it isn't implanted outside of my uterus.

I asked her if I should consider myself miscarrying, she put me on hold and came back and said, The Dr thinks everything could still be good but she just wants to be certain.

I just don't understand why because my levels are in range and they are doubling well. Each blood draw I've had my Dr's assistant has said the levels were fine and in range. Is there something I'm missing that suggests Ectopic? Are they just being careful because of my chemical or because I was taking Clomid?

Help :(

Hey hun, don't stress yourself your right your numbers are doubling normally and that's a great indicator that the baby is in the right place. Don't let yourself get stressed if they cant see anything on the ultrasound either because in truth they need an hcg of at least 2500 to even see anything on an ultrasound. Just relax and enjoy each day with your baby. it'll work out

I wouldn't worry about it too much - my levels were doubling normally too and every time I'd get a call back saying they were worried they were too high/low (they literally said both) and wanted me to come in for more bloodwork/early scans. Are you working with an RE? I have a few theories that run from understanding to cynical (haha).

1. they work with a lot of women who struggle to get pregnant so they're on edge to but sure everything is developing as usual.

2. From a liability standpoint, they are covering their butts to make sure they don't miss something that could grow into a problem later (i.e. ectopic that results in a tubal removal)

3. At the end of the day, they're a business and a lot of insurance companies up their coverage once a woman is actually pregnant so they're upping their billing on that side of things to make money.

I said it goes to cynical.. ;)

I was worked up about it at first, but once I got these theories in my head I kind of went with the flow and tried to enjoy the constant check ins. I miss the days when I got reassurance every 4 days that everything was on target. Now my appointments are once a month!

Congrats on your pregnancy!

Oh, and they had me come in for an early scan, too. 5w2d and they couldn't see anything. I was, honestly, pretty annoyed because it obviously made me worry, even though it's totally normal to not be able to see anything yet. I went back at 5w5d and they saw a gestational sac and then 6w5d they saw a heartbeat.

Just remember you're early. Everything is doing exactly what it should right now. Keep us updated!

Your numbers are fine. Your doctor just sounds extra cautious.

So an update.

The Dr's assistant just called back to say the Dr talked to radiology and they think since I'm not experiencing back pain I should wait to have an ultrasound for two weeks and they asked if that was alright. I said it was okay if I can have another blood draw lol and so they ordered it.

I also asked if the Dr is comfortable moving the ultrasound out...

A) because I'm not feeling pain or spotting and so they think the risk is low
B) because I'm only 4 weeks 5 days we probably wouldn't see anything?

And the assistant told me the Dr said it's a combination of both.

They said come in immediately if I have any back pain. Sooooo.

Oh, and they had me come in for an early scan, too. 5w2d and they couldn't see anything. I was, honestly, pretty annoyed because it obviously made me worry, even though it's totally normal to not be able to see anything yet. I went back at 5w5d and they saw a gestational sac and then 6w5d they saw a heartbeat.

Just remember you're early. Everything is doing exactly what it should right now. Keep us updated!

Thank you! When I go in for the new scan date I will be 6 weeks 5 days! So fingers crossed I see a heartbeat like you did <3

Jess, I remembered with #2 at 12dpo my beta was 18 and at 16dpo it was 256. Very similar to your numbers. He's two now. I think everything is ok &#10084;

Jess, I remembered with #2 at 12dpo my beta was 18 and at 16dpo it was 256. Very similar to your numbers. He's two now. I think everything is ok &#10084;

That's what I'm hoping! Thank you!

I randomly threw my back out yesterday so I'm experiencing mid back muscle pain and it's stressing me out even though I don't think it's related.

When I had a possible ectopic the pain was low and sharp. It's a long story but they're still not sure if it actually was one or not. But it was bad pain and super sharp. Not like a muscle pain.

That's what my Dr said. It's mid back and it feels like muscle pain and doesn't hurt when I'm sitting or laying or holding still only when I'm moving around.

I straight up think I'm so worried that I worried this back pain in to existence lol

I go for my 4th blood draw in about an hour.

Hope your numbers are good! Try to relax I think it will be ok &#10084;

My back has been hurting too, mid back , on and off. I go to first appointment tomorrow, very nervous, not just because of the back pain but in general ya know.

I saw a reproductive endocrinologist too and they were always extra cautious. With my ectopic, my levels were much lower. They went: 33 - 38.5 - 41 - 35.6 - 67.3 - (MTX shot to dissolve) - 139 - 80 - 76 - 9.8 -<1

I didn't have any pain but my levels never got very high because they caught it so early. I did have TMI (sorry!) horrible diarrhea which is common with ectopic pregnancies.

So, I'm not a doctor, but your numbers look good to me. I hope things go well today. :flower:

I was going to say from reading your original post that I was surprised they'd even attempt an ultrasound since you're so early. Chances are they wouldn't see much, if anything, and would cause you more panic than relief. I'm glad they moved back your scan but I know how hard it is being in limbo. I've not had an ectopic but I have had a missed m/c. I'm sure they're just being over cautious. Your numbers sound really good to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->