hCG levels?? And pregnancy date?

J..K

Reaction score
Hey guys! Tomorrow I find out the results from my blood test! I am *so* excited but nervous at the same time. :headspin:

Quick recap: I found out I was pregnant in the evening of Aug 30th. Rushed to the doctor's the very next day to get a blood test done to determine timeline.

They told me that they'd want to book me for an ultrasound after finding out the hCG levels? Why do they do this ultrasound? Isn't it very early and she'd be very very tiny still?

Can someone help me with a timeline? Do you calculate your weeks pregnant by your the first day of your last period? Or the last day of your last period? Or do you calculate from the actual date of implantation? I tried a pregnancy calculator which asked for the first day of my last period (which we estimate to be about July 25th) and apparently it told me that my conception date was approx August 8th. So do I count from August 8th or July 25th?

And regarding hCG levels: I read (or was told, can't remember!) that based on the levels they can tell me how far along in the pregnancy I am. I can understand that, but I was told that they'll also be able to have an idea if I'm carrying multiples? If the levels are very high, how will they know that I'm having twins, rather than just further along? We are very worried about this because twins runs very very strongly in my family. My mom's side carries twins all the way back - My great grandmother, my grandma, and my mom (I was a twin). On my dad's side, he's also got twins and a set of triplets. I've been told this puts me at higher risk for multiples, and having more than one baby right now would mean we would have to sit and re-evaluate the entire situation. So, how do they know? How much does this blood test actually show and how reliable is it? When will I actually be able to know whether we've got one cutie or more? What are they looking for in this ultrasound that they'll do so early?

Thanks so much, I know that's alot, and I have been trying to research but can't find the answers to my questions.

I did research a little further and came across the American Pregnancy website. It states: (quote) "The hCG levels should not be used to date a pregnancy since these numbers can vary so widely. " (end quote) But my doctor told me that they were doing the test solely to determine how far along it was!

Also, I had an acquiantance who told me that they tested her for gestational diabetes, did an ultrasound and also did a hCG blood test on her at 4 weeks. As far as I can understand, these things aren't done until later on. She has an immense history of lying....is this possible or not true whatsoever? Diabetes also runs in my family so if it's true that you're able to test for diabetes, I should probably get that done....?

Not sure about why theyre doing the blood tests, as you found they arent a good way of telling how fara long you are. Also this early they arent an accurate way to detect multiples either as some women can have very high levels but still be carrying one.

The ultrasound would be a better way to determine how far along you are and how many is in there.

Can they do an ultrasound at approx 4-5 weeks to determine age? A lot of the pregnancy clinics and even abortion clinics here require a hCG count before going any further with treatment, for "dating" purposes, that is so strange!

Edit: and can such an early ultrasound show multiples?

I had my first ultrasound at a little over 5 weeks I think and it showed 2 sacks and basically proved that I'm carrying twins. An u/s is the best way to determine multiples but in my case my HCG was a huge indicator too because it was very very high for only being about 4 weeks along. A lot of looking on the internet did prove that you cant really even base the multiples thing on an HCG count like you discovered. I wouldn't worry yourself too much an ultrasound should be able to tell you how far along you are.

My doc dated my pregnancy via ultrasound but I had to wait until I was 8-9 weeks before they would do one as the baby was too small before then. During the ultrasound they measure the CRL (Crown to rump length) and use that as an indicator of how far along you are.

I wouldn't worry though, the good thing is that your first blood test results will come in as your ultrasound is done so you can get both results at the same time!

Okay well I got the blood test results back today. What an incompetant bunch, I now have horrible, horrible cramps from the stress and my heart almost stopped when she told me "Ok, it looks like you are about 11-14 weeks" and I went WHAT? No, I am not. So I pestered her for the actual hCG number and she told me "One-Five-Three-Three". Ok...so 1533? Does this number double every two or three days? The test was was done on Friday, which means three days have passed, so this number is probably around 3000+ right now? She told me to come back and book an appointment with a gynecologist who will either do the ultrasound or refer me to an abortion clinic. Wow, what extremes, eh? Ohhhh brother.

Sorry hun just to confirm ...

How far do you think you may be?

A hcG level is not accurate to determine week of pregnancy. It should indeed double in 72 hrs max yes.

I'm a bit stumped at level & the weeks she has put you at associated with the result if I am honest. You really need an ultrasound.

Amazing the differences in care between countries isn't it. I had a 12 week scan and a 20 week scan and they didn't do any blood tests until I was 12-13 weeks. Try not to stress too much, you date a pregnancy from the first day of your last period, which means that you should date it from July 25th. THis means that you are about 6 weeks pregnant. It is possible for you to still have periods when pregnant, but this is pretty rare I believe. When it's this early, if they do an ultrasound it's usually an internal one.

Sorry hun just to confirm ...

How far do you think you may be?

Well we put our thinking caps on and started to REALLY think back and we are pretty sure that the period started a little later than the 25th. I remember being at work and looking at the calandar, the last week of July and thinking "Ah crap" because I had my period and the bathroom has NO feminine hygiene disposal bin and you're not allowed to flush tampons, period! So this would be July 30-31ish, and the period was really abnormal because we had messed with the nuvaring the month prior, in order to miss my period for vacation. Long story short, that period was between 4-5 days, although it's usually about 5-6. Nothing to worry about.

I've read that based on the hCG levels it's ABOUT 5-6 weeks along, which is consistant with our calandar dating. There is NO way I am 11 weeks, I would know for sure, there is just no way. I did wonder if she read some digits wrong though - instead of 1500, it was really 15,000 or higher. Good heavens. At any rate, I'm going tomorrow to get referred to someone else that knows what they're doing! We are extremely worried about both multiples and something wrong with the pregnancy because of the pain and our family history!

Thanks ladies! :)

Ps, how uncomfortable are internal ultrasounds? I had an external one once, where I had to drink so much water and I honestly thought I was going to pee on the nurse, LOL. She pressed way too hard, it was one of the most uncomfortable things I've ever done. :cry:

You had an ultrasound? how did that go?

Internals sound more uncomfortable than they are & you empty your bladder beforehand you will be pelased to know lol - Ive had loads :D They are fine! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->