HCG levels drawn today. The Doctor made me worry! Help!

KLeigh

Reaction score
I made a trip to the ER today as I've been having some bright red spotting and some cramps. I haven't been to my family doctor quite yet but will see him on the 10th. I really wanted some reassurance and to get my Rh.

My LMP was August 9 and with my normal cycle, it would be exactly 4 weeks from my last period. The doctor did a pelvic and said everything looked fine from what he could see. Then I had a beta HCG drawn. Within an hour he came back and said "your hcg was really low. Only 124. We'd like to see it in the thousands." I was SO confused. I asked him what that would put me at as far as length goes and he said only a few days. With my calculations, I'd only be about a week or so. Then he started talking about ectopic pregnancies and scheduled me for an ultrasound next week.

I left the ER feeling really worried and still am. From what I read, I am within the normal range as far as hcg levels go!

Now I'm worried and can't shake it!

Thoughts?

I actually had a reply on another thread that put my worries at ease for now.
I shouldn't have gone to the ER. Ugh!

That is completely incorrect. You blood level is great. At four weeks I think the average is like 75. With my first child mine was 63 just before 4 weeks. This pregnancy I was 170 at 4w 4d. Don't worry!

Er docs are not that smart! I'm a nurse and they tend to make people worry because they aren't very diplomatic. Your numbers were great!! Mine was 405 at 5 weeks, doesn't matter the number as long as it doubles. Dumb doctors! Glad you feel better!

At 4 weeks my hcg was only 45! I had spotting without cramps close to 6 weeks and my doctor said it was a threathen m/c. Threathen m/c does not necessarily m/c will happen. In the end I had 4 beta due to low hcg at the beginning and spotting. I hate beta, only made me worry for something unnecessary.

Thanks for the replies, ladies. It is very reassuring. This doctor was a resident and he was very knowledgable for other things but I kind of knew he was so off with that!

If it was meant to be in the thousands, then people wouldn't ever get faint HPT test lines! What an idiot doctor.

That's a silly thing for the doctor to say :hugs: I was 3w4d and my HCG level was 43. My doctor did comment that it was on the lower end of things, but 25 or over is what you'd be looking for to determine if a woman is pregnant or not.

I'm now a day off 10w and baby is happy and healthy, you'll be fine! :hugs:

Gosh er docs seem really terrible. I also heard that you can't tell much from a blood test unless you have another one later and then you can really see what's going on. They should have told you that instead of scaring you! it's ridiculous!

Mine is 155 at 4w and its fine. in the 5th week it should be 1500+ i think. If its in the thousands now then I'd be worried for twins. lol!

Ya don't worry, you are fine, like others said all that matters is if the numbers are doubling!
124 is just normal for that early and u won't be able to see anything on ultrasound until your numbers are much much higher- like 2000-5000 I think.

Mine was 119
At 13dpo which is right around 4 weeks

Silly, silly doctor!

Okay, it may be true that that level might make you only "a couple days" ("couple" could be 3-5 in his mind) pregnant in the sense that implantation may have only happened a "couple" days ago, in which case you'd still be 4 weeks pregnant but may have a relatively low level still. The absolute number means nothing, it's all about doubling time.

Mine was like 29 at 4+1. I'm 26+2 today so.... Lol. You need a redraw!

My HCG at 4w1d was 115. It doubled every 48 hours after that, and everything was fine. HCG ranges vary so much from person to person... I hate that doctors can be so negative about it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->