HCG levels dropped by 130 in 18 hours- help!

bighouse

Reaction score
I'm 5 weeks pregnant but my HCG levels have dropped by 130 in the last 18 hours. Has anyone else had HCG levels drop that has NOT been a MC? After a drop in HCG you've later had normal scans and/or a healthy baby?

I'm sorry to hear this is happening to you, and also sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but unless your HCG is doubling at this stage, you are likely going to miscarry :(

HCG was 110 on 12/30 and 1970 on 11/5 (almost one week later), which are both good levels for where I was at in my cycle. Today's level of 1840 (a 130 point drop within 18 hours) is what worries me. The ER doc said it was normal for HCG to fluctuate and the difference could even be because they were run at 2 different labs. But my OB said that the levels should only increase, never decrease. I want to be optimistic, but what my OB says (not what the ER nurse said) makes the most sense from what I've read. I can imagine if lab calibration/error could cause a slight difference, but the number should have still increased somewhat... unless 18 hours just wasn't enough time. I know they are supposed to double every 24-48 hours (not every 18 hours). I'm going to try and have the levels re-checked at 24 hours tomorrow, and probably again at 48 hours.

So sorry, Bighouse. The drop is not good, but then every pregnancy is different and miracles do happen. My fingers are crossed for you, but in all honesty, a decrease is not good. I know that in an ectopic pregnancy hCG levels fluctuate, but otherwise, this is not normal. Numbers should only be going up until later in pregnancy when the placenta takes over. Then it is normal for hCG levels to drop a little, but that's not until late in the first trimester (after 9 weeks, I think, or maybe the second trimester). Otherwise, slow rising hCG and dropping hCG are not good signs. Fingers and toes crossed for you. Hugs. We are here for you.

ER docs don't seem to know squat about pregnancy. (my experience and from what others here have posted) Hcg shouldn't fluctuate; it should rise. Now, what they said about different labs is true. If you have it run by two different labs they could be off. Like you said, get it tested again and see where it is. I'm sorry you're going thru this. I've had 3 miscarriages and my last 2 I knew were coming bc of hcg numbers not going up appropriately. Hopefully yours is a lab error.

Thanks. I do want to remain optimistic if there is hope (and I believe in miracles) but I also want to be realistic. If I'm doing the math right that's only a 6.5% dip in my HCG numbers... which doesn't seem like a lot, but in such a short amount of time (18 hours) that is significant, I think.

Unfortunately, I have never heard of an early stage drop not being bad news. I'm so sorry. If it was a light line of an hpt, there might be more hope, but a blood test is typically pretty irrefutable. Even though it is supposed to double over a few days' time, it should still be increasing to reach that double in the meantime... not decreasing at all. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and your bean, though, that maybe it was just a lab error!

I'm new to all of this and honestly don't know.. But I didn't want to read and leave. Thinking good thoughts about you and your bean *hugs

i dont think that sounds like a good thing because it's occurring so early on. but there's been some crazy pregnancy cases in my own family that have left us with little healthy miracles that are growing and doing wonderful right now

if this happened just a few weeks later, it would have been more likely normal for levels to drop as the placenta begins to take over around 10 weeks (they level out though over time, not just continue to drop and drop).

i hope everything turns out to be fine

hugs keep us updated if there is no bleeding thats a good sign xx

I have everything crossed for you Hun, good luck xx

Just got home from getting another HCG draw. Won't get the results until tomorrow. More WAITING. I did have some light (pinkish) spotting yesterday- not enough to need a pad or anything (just noticed when I wiped). I've been trying to stay positive, but this morning while speaking with my drs office on the phone I broke down crying. Everyone I've spoken with (except 1 nurse who was not OB, just general ER) has said that any drop in HCG levels is a miscarriage. I was hoping that maybe I'd find some stories on this board, or in searching online, of women who had a HCG drop but had a healthy baby- but everything I read points to MC. Other than a vanishing twin scenario, there doesn't seem to be much hope... but I am holding out for a miracle.

I am so sorry you are going through this bighouse. I hope that everything will be okay and there was just a strange error with your last hcg results.

IM so sorry your going through this. My levels didn't drop but there wernt doubling as well they should plus had an early scan and i just had an empty sac but 8 months later happy healthy baby so there is hope. Il keep my fingers crossed for u x

Sorry you're going through this but there shouldn't be any drop atall. I hope there was something wrong with the labs and everything is okay x

really hope it is just a lab error. Keeping everything crossed for you. Hugs!

Didnt want to read and run. Hoping for some good news for you. I know the heartache you go through hearing such news. Try and stay positive until you know for definite. Good luck x

Just got my results from yesterday... HCG went up to 3060. So 1970 Monday, 1840 Tuesday, and 3060 Wednesday. They are running another HCG test with today's blood (and will do another tomorrow). I have an appointment to talk with the OB in the morning (hopefully today's labs will be back by then).

So I am cautiously optimistic! :thumbup: It went up 50% in 24 hours which is good (it should double by 48 hrs so 50% at 24 hours is right on track, right?)

Also my progesterone was 13 which seems low from what I've read online (I'm 5w +1 today).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"