HCG levels dropped by 130 in 18 hours- help!

thanks ladies!

Appointment was frustrating. My labs from Thurs were not back yet, so they promised me they would call that afternoon with results. But they had difficulties reaching the lab, and their office closes early on Fridays, so I never got the results. :growlmad: They also ran another HCG test (those results will be in Monday).

OB did an exam with speculum, cervix is closed so that was good. She said that even though my HCG rose on Wednesday, it wasn't high enough (where it should be). She offered another ultrasound, but I had just had one done 3 days before, and she was doubtful she would see anything different (except for maybe a small change in size) so I opted to wait until next week when she should be able to see fetal pole and heartbeat.

My bleeding has stopped, hopefully it won't start up again. She placed me on activity restriction at least until the ultrasound on Thursday. Also put me on progesterone (after the PA from their office refused to!)

Awww well chill out and watch some films and relax I hope the days fly by for you and all the best xx:hugs:

Oh bighouse! Sorry you have to go through this. I'm really hoping you have good news next week xx

Finally got an update on my HCG numbers. Thursday was 3800 and Friday was 4760. Just had them re-drawn today, and will go back again tomorrow for another draw. Met with the nurse this morning and she reiterated that those numbers were lower than they wanted to see at this stage, and slow rising (she said at this point they should rise by a minimum of 66% every 24 hours).

Bleeding last week started on Tues, went away wed, came back worse thurs PM/fri Am, stopped again saturday, and came back worse Sun Pm/Mon AM.

I hate this emotional roller coaster! I go back next week for another u/s.

I'm happy my numbers are going in the right direction, but the nurse basically told me that normally at this point things go one way or the other, but I'm stuck in limbo-land. They can't say I'm certainly miscarrying, but they can't say things are progressing properly either. They just don't know and only time will tell :(

I have so many things I could/should be doing in the meantime, but no motivation to do them. I also feel very nauseated (all day long), extremely tired, and sometimes dizzy so that prevents me from doing much. So the time seems to pass even slower when I'm not as "busy" as usual...

Have you considered it to be a vanishing twin? That would make sense with your numbers.

thanks babers, yes we have considered that- but on my first ultrasound they only saw one gestational sac. And my HCG numbers are still low for a singleton pregnancy (I'll be 6 weeks on Wednesday).

I assume with twins they would have 2 separate sacs on a scan, correct? My 1st scan was at 5 weeks.

thanks babers, yes we have considered that- but on my first ultrasound they only saw one gestational sac. And my HCG numbers are still low for a singleton pregnancy (I'll be 6 weeks on Wednesday).

I assume with twins they would have 2 separate sacs on a scan, correct? My 1st scan was at 5 weeks.

Identical twins can share a sac. So it is within the realm of possibility!

This is a long shot too but have you ever heard of twins that are a few weeks apart? The mom ovulated twice but a couple weeks apart? What if that happened and the first baby was showing but 2nd was too little to show up on ultra sound and the first twin is "vanishing" but second is growing but a couple weeks younger? If second twin is only 4 or so weeks it wouldn't show up. It would have implanted around the time your first beta decreased and that is why it rose afterwards. This could be crazy but in pregnancy miracles happen everyday. I hope you get your answers so.

Thanks ladies! Yes I am hoping for a miracle! Our bodies are so complex (and mine has never been one to "play by the rules") so nothing is off the table as far as possibilities go LOL. I just wish Thursday would get here fast so I can hopefully get some answers with my scan. The waiting is killing me! :coffee: I'm trying to stay occupied, but it's hard to stay busy when I'm so nauseous! :wacko: The nausea is somewhat encouraging though... at least I still have symptoms. I think at this point I'm most worried about having a blighted ovum (in which case my HCG levels would rise slowly and symptoms would continue... which has been my experience).

oh and babers, we stopped DTD after I ovulated (I was tracking with OPKs). We have only DTD once since then and I was already 4.5 weeks pregnant by then. So I don't think a 2nd twin conceived weeks later is much of a possibility :nope: The sac they saw on ultrasound at 5w was measuring right on track for when I ovulated in December.

So my doctor just called with my HCG results from Monday. Level was 9481 (at 5wk+5)! It was 4767 on Friday and then just under 72 hours later (monday) it was 9481. So it did double within 72 hours. According to the day-by-day HCG chart I found online, it's still below average but within the acceptable range. I have a feeling my doctor is still going to be doom-and-gloom with these numbers, but tomorrow's ultrasound should tell us a lot more!

At least now I will be going into the scan with more optimism. Last time I went into that office I was in tears!

Also my progesterone went from 12 to 32.7 after only 3 days of supplementation at 200mg.

bighouse - hang in there. Hcg level did double, so there is still hope. Sending many prayers your way. Keep us updated after your ultrasound tomorrow.

Just got the results from Tuesday, HCG was 11,766. OB said that it is not good because it should be at least 20,000 (at 5w+6). I'm not sure I'm buying that, because everything I've read online says there can be HUGE variance in HCG levels from woman to woman. :shrug: My last 5 readings have all showed a rise in HCG. Thoughts for HCG level being 11,766 at 5w+6?

Just got the results from Tuesday, HCG was 11,766. OB said that it is not good because it should be at least 20,000 (at 5w+6). I'm not sure I'm buying that, because everything I've read online says there can be HUGE variance in HCG levels from woman to woman. :shrug: My last 5 readings have all showed a rise in HCG. Thoughts for HCG level being 11,766 at 5w+6?

5w+3days I was 8624 and it takes about 72 to hours to double the higher you get so I feel you are just fine!

I had a scan at 5W3D and I saw both Gestational Sac & Yolk Sac, I had a scan at 6W4D and I saw both+baby+hb! I've since been doing great we hit the 14 w mark tomorrow!

Best of luck!

I don't know why your dr would be stressing you out with all these hcg numbers and telling you they aren't good when he/she hasn't even done an ultrasound to confirm. All the charts say you are within normal range. I could understand if your level was super low, but not at 11,000+. I have a history of recurrent miscarriage and my dr didn't take one drop of blood for hcg testing. He only checked my progesterone level once and has done scans to confirm the pregnancy and make sure it is advancing as it should. He has been very upbeat and encouraging this pregnancy. Even after my last miscarriage he was positive and reassuring, and has never been the "doom and gloom" your ob is. I would probably find someone new if I had a dr that caused so much fear and worry based on hcg numbers that are within normal range. :wacko:

Let us know how your scan goes today!

https://www.issheexpecting.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/hcglevelschart_issheexpecting.jpeg

Could it be that with the low progesterone that your body was trying to miscarry but the baby is healthy and hanging in there and now with the progesterone supplement it is going to catch up but just be on the low side?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->