He ate a peanut ..

dali

Reaction score
Hi all happy xmas :)

ok so we went to my mums today and she had a bowl of peanuts out on a table that i didnt know was there, ( she ment to pick it up before we got there but forgot) anyway, long story short he picked one up and ate it ..

he hasnt been tried on peanut butter etc. yet as we were advised not to yet ( i had eczema and OH has athsma) im not panicking , but have a couple of questions...

1. if he were allergic would he have reacted straight away ?
2. do they say not to give lo peanuts before a particular age because they may be allergic , or because it may make them more likley to become allergic
?
3. i have asked before but didnt get much of a response , can he have other kinds of nuts yet ( not chopped or whole - but like if they were mixed into something for whatever reason - like those happy hippo things have hazelnuts blended into the centre ) or should i still be avoiding those because of mine and OH's athsma/ eczema history ?

thanks

1. if he were allergic would he have reacted straight away ? If he was going to have a reaction I think it would have happened very quickly
2. do they say not to give lo peanuts before a particular age because they may be allergic , or because it may make them more likley to become allergic
? They say before a year because of the risk of allergies, however in other cases I guess they may tell you to wait longer (history of nut allergies etc. in the family
3. i have asked before but didnt get much of a response , can he have other kinds of nuts yet ( not chopped or whole - but like if they were mixed into something for whatever reason - like those happy hippo things have hazelnuts blended into the centre ) or should i still be avoiding those because of mine and OH's athsma/ eczema history ? this I'm not sure about, I would think if they want you to avoid peanuts for now that you are probably supposed to avoid all nuts.

thanks for your answers hun.
ive even aske the HV about other nuts , and all she could say was " oh i'd have to ask one of the others, im not sure " lol very helpful. will have to try again or maybe ask gp next time we are there ( she probably knows more than the hv's anyway :) )

I think that peanuts are meant to make them more allergic to everything, so I wont let Finn have nut butter because his dad has asthma, eczema and hayfever and I dont want him to get them...his dad is NOT allergic to peanuts and carried on eating them while forbidding me to through out pregnancy and BFing (grrr!) though there are ongoing studies where children are exposed because they think maybe they SHOULD have peanuts, so you never know if you are doing the right thing, do you? Anyway, one peanut isn't going to make a lot of difference (as long as he didnt choke!). I hope he enjoyed it, lol. I think hannah probably said that already lol. Merry christmas :D

Charlotte has eczema and was allowed nuts at 1yr. Weird. Guess diff docs, diff opinions. She doesn't have asthma, but I am allergic to ALL nuts. She hasn't had any issues with them. Some nut allergies don't develope right away. I had them all thru my childhood with no problem, other than from walnuts which made my throat itch....now they all make my throat close up....got an epipen cause of it. I'm sure he'll be fine though

i think the thoughts on this vary from country to country. For example, here ppl are very wary of exposure to peanuts because the feeling is that it will exacerbate or start of a reaction. However, in Israel, they eat a soft childrens snack which are peanut puff type thing (sort of like cheese puffs but done with peanuts) and they have a really low incidence of peanut allergies etc. In fact, children are eating them before they turn 1 so it's like giving soft snacks here. Just thought i'd add that bit of perspective.

i know obviously the peanut did him no harm, so not panicking or anything, just not sure on the reasons for the guidlines on peanuts , and when i should be letting him try, im sure he'd love peanut butter but have been told not to let him have it yet.

think im gonna speak to the gp next time i se her and she what she thinks on the matter , thanks ladies :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->