He won't take milk!!!

Discussion in 'Toddler & Pre-School' started by sarahjanek88, Jan 23, 2011.

1. sarahjanek88

sarahjanek88 Well-Known Member

Hi everyone :flower:,

My boy went from formula to cows milk when he had just turned 12 months, and at the time it seemed really successful. He's now 18 months and somewhere down the line, it just really started to go wrong. He just chucks the stuff away. He prefers juice, and it is very difficult for me to persuade him to actually drink milk at all. I've tried it warm, cool and even growing up milk but it didn't change a thing, so I finally decided to try and put nesquick in it. Just a little spoonful for the milk to take on some flavour, and it's worked like a charm! Obviously, nesquick is a really bad idea for his teeth, so my thinking was to gradually reduce the amount of nesquick so that eventually he would take milk on its own. My friend is a dentist however, and she thinks that it will be disastrous for his teeth, and I shouldn't really do it.

The thing is, what's the lesser of the two evils? Nesquick in the milk, or no milk at all. :shrug:

Please help me ladies. Whats ur thoughts?

2. kiwimama

kiwimama Soon to be family of 4!

Well Ella doesn't drink much milk. We offer her other calcium rich foods instead - cheese, yoghurt etc. which she eats no problem (would eat cheese all day if we let her!)

3. shellie_a

shellie_a Mummy to Dylan!

Hello! :) My little boy was exactly the same! He stopped taking milk around 16/17 months! refused to take it, he would just scream and get him self really upset, i tried everything - even nesquick! but nothing! (I think a little bit of nesquick would be fine :) just remember to brush LO's teeth afterwards!) 8 months later (last week) He asked me for 'baby milk'! I made him a bottle of toddler milk and he laid on my lap and drank it.. it was so so random! Just out of no where! So maybe it's just down to them having it say in day out.. they get a bit bored?

So yeah! :) I think maybe he just wants a break? :)
    I hope this has helped! I'm glad to hear my son isn't the only one, though! xx

4. isil

isil Well-Known Member

my son has no milk at all and hasn't since he was about 17 months. And from 13-17 months he maybe had it a couple of times a week! He's fine, as others have said just make sure he gets calcium rich foods :)

5. OmarsMum

OmarsMum Well-Known Member

Omar eats lots of yoghurt, & it's as good as cow milk for calcium (the min is 12 oz of dairy at 1+). I'm not really worried about his milk intake. As for Nesquick, you can use plain cocoa & add very little sugar to it instead of the sweet Nesquick. Or maybe a milkshake with banana & strawberry

6. sarahjanek88

sarahjanek88 Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone, I thought it was still really important to make sure he was drinking like at least two glasses of milk a day. Maybe I've just got the wrong impression lol? He loves his yoghurt, so if I just concentrate on that more, then I'll know he's getting his calcium. Thats put my mind at rest :) xx