Head engagement in 2nd+ pregnancies

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Third Trimester' started by susan_1981, Oct 1, 2013.

1. susan_1981

susan_1981 Mummy to 2 boys :)

Am I right in thinking that in second+ pregnancies, often the baby won't engage until labour? I'm pretty sure this baby is nowhere near engaged. He feels very high up. With my son - my first - he was 3/5ths engaged from 36 weeks and was still 3/5ths when I went into labour x

2. Blah11

Blah11 ☼ Mummy to Amelie ☼

My son wasnt engaged until well into labour x

3. ainsleyx2006

ainsleyx2006 Well-Known Member

i was at 39 week appointment with midwife yesterday and baby is still not engaged at all. Im sure this was same as 2nd pregnancy although I did end up getting induced with her. Midwife said its common after first pregnancy for head not to engage until labour.xps this is my 3rd baby.x

4. CharCharxxx

CharCharxxx Well-Known Member

I heard that aswel, I wonder why it is anybody know? X

5. Wilsey

Wilsey Mummy of two!

I've heard that. Mine was 3/5ths at 37 week appointment. But dont think she will descend any further until I'm in labour.

6. Foxy37

Foxy37 Well-Known Member

i think its because the pelvis is all ready larger so baby's can bob in and out but im not 100% xx

7. Mummy Bean

Mummy Bean Parker & Dougs Mum

Yea midwife said there more room down there- esp if pregs closer together. Although mine been 2/5ths for a week now.

8. Toms Mummy

Toms Mummy Guest

I've been 2/5th engaged since atleast 34 weeks when my midwife checked me, and 1/5th engaged since last week. I've heard they can bob in and our but my baby has stayed put.... que severe lightning crotch for weeks :dohh:..... But, I'm still pregnant so not sure it actually means much if they do engage early :shrug:

9. MrsH1980

MrsH1980 Mummy to Myka

Same here, at my 37 week appt baby was still not engaged at all and midwife said everything is just more roomy 2nd time round or more so they do 'bob' in and out (hence the lightening crotch too). Xxx

10. Prinny

Prinny BABY NO.3 DUE OCT 2019

I think it's what foxy37 said, but my DS didn't engage either last time lol so I don't know if that means mine is huge naturally lol and this baby isn't engaged either...I'm guessing like my DS he didn't engage until in active labour she will do the same..x

11. PaiytonsMummy

PaiytonsMummy Well-Known Member

Yeah my midwife said its unusual for 2nd babies to engage. I think that's why mine was shocked when my son was fully engaged and fixed at 36+2 weeks. She said i wouldn't make the weekend, and she was right he was born 3 days later.

12. mummysarah

mummysarah Well-Known Member

At my last app. a week ago My mw said baby was 3/5 engaged. Thus is my foyrth baby and she thought i may not make the weekend. I check my own cervix and last night could feel his head behind my cervix. I also am in pain walking as my tail bone is killing! Never had this in my previous pregnancys ? X

13. mummysarah

mummysarah Well-Known Member

Please excuse my spelling, stupid phone and chubby fingers!! Lol

14. minties

minties Complete

Sophie wasn't at all engaged at my c-section at 39+2. The doc said she was 'happily floating around...zero dilation or softening of cervix'.

15. hoping4bbynm2

hoping4bbynm2 MomOf2BoysNexpecting

My first ds was so close to falling out, I could feel his head from 33 weeks until I gave birth at 36 weeks with ds2 he is no where to be felt and im 37 weeks tomorrow

16. Ninagrrl

Ninagrrl Well-Known Member

This is my second but I think I have a pretty good chance with daughter engaging like a 1st pregnancy because my son was breech so he never engaged and I had an emcs due to big breech baby plus water breaking (with meconium) but no contractions so no laboring at all.