Head engagement in 2nd+ pregnancies

susan_1981

Mummy to 2 boys :)
Reaction score
Am I right in thinking that in second+ pregnancies, often the baby won't engage until labour? I'm pretty sure this baby is nowhere near engaged. He feels very high up. With my son - my first - he was 3/5ths engaged from 36 weeks and was still 3/5ths when I went into labour x

My son wasnt engaged until well into labour x

i was at 39 week appointment with midwife yesterday and baby is still not engaged at all. Im sure this was same as 2nd pregnancy although I did end up getting induced with her. Midwife said its common after first pregnancy for head not to engage until labour.xps this is my 3rd baby.x

I heard that aswel, I wonder why it is anybody know? X

I've heard that. Mine was 3/5ths at 37 week appointment. But dont think she will descend any further until I'm in labour.

i think its because the pelvis is all ready larger so baby's can bob in and out but im not 100% xx

Yea midwife said there more room down there- esp if pregs closer together. Although mine been 2/5ths for a week now.

I've been 2/5th engaged since atleast 34 weeks when my midwife checked me, and 1/5th engaged since last week. I've heard they can bob in and our but my baby has stayed put.... que severe lightning crotch for weeks :dohh:..... But, I'm still pregnant so not sure it actually means much if they do engage early :shrug:

Same here, at my 37 week appt baby was still not engaged at all and midwife said everything is just more roomy 2nd time round or more so they do 'bob' in and out (hence the lightening crotch too). Xxx

I think it's what foxy37 said, but my DS didn't engage either last time lol so I don't know if that means mine is huge naturally lol and this baby isn't engaged either...I'm guessing like my DS he didn't engage until in active labour she will do the same..x

Yeah my midwife said its unusual for 2nd babies to engage. I think that's why mine was shocked when my son was fully engaged and fixed at 36+2 weeks. She said i wouldn't make the weekend, and she was right he was born 3 days later.

At my last app. a week ago My mw said baby was 3/5 engaged. Thus is my foyrth baby and she thought i may not make the weekend. I check my own cervix and last night could feel his head behind my cervix. I also am in pain walking as my tail bone is killing! Never had this in my previous pregnancys ? X

Please excuse my spelling, stupid phone and chubby fingers!! Lol

Sophie wasn't at all engaged at my c-section at 39+2. The doc said she was 'happily floating around...zero dilation or softening of cervix'.

My first ds was so close to falling out, I could feel his head from 33 weeks until I gave birth at 36 weeks with ds2 he is no where to be felt and im 37 weeks tomorrow

This is my second but I think I have a pretty good chance with daughter engaging like a 1st pregnancy because my son was breech so he never engaged and I had an emcs due to big breech baby plus water breaking (with meconium) but no contractions so no laboring at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->