Head measuring weeks ahead

SweetV

mom & parl
Reaction score
I have had frequent ultrasounds this pregnancy and growth scans biweekly. LO's head has always been about a week ahead of EDD and yesterday was measuring 3 weeks ahead (29+5 measuring 33+2). In terms of having a natural labour this is quite intimidating. Has anybody else had a baby with an estimated large head? Did you make it to term?

I didn't, my kiddos head was around the 80th percentile, about on par with the rest of him - but my sister's youngest holds the record (still, 15 years later) for the largest head ever delivered in her hospital! And she went overdue with him, 10 days. She had no complications during delivery and said he was easier than her 7 pounder (he was just over 9).

Bear in mind too that u/s is not an exact science and they could be quite off the mark. It'll all come out ok in the end!!!

My DD had a huge head, I struggled to get her out, but she got here naturally in the end. I'm expecting this one to also have a huge head too lol. At my last ultrasound his body was measuring way behind his huge head xx

This baby's head is measuring 3 weeks ahead too and abdomen measuring 4 weeks ahead. The hospital definitely don't seem to think the larger head is as much of an issue as the abdomen (they don't have to give birth to the baby lol). Fingers crossed it won't make much of a difference, I'm not sure in actual size terms what the difference really is, may only be a few mm...with any luck!

My first pregnancy, babies head was measuring just over 4 weeks ahead. I had her at 36+1 but her head got stuck in the birth canal and I needed forceps

I'm glad I'm not the only one!! My Dr. was very quick to point out that measurements on us are never a sure thing and that he wasn't concerned but I agree that he is not the one that has to deliver this baby!

Kerri-x - my DS was delivered with forceps as well but it was so long ago now and they never said anything about head size.

Yes, my first son had a huge head and I had a small tear but nothing serious. He finally has grown into his head lol. We were in the 90% tile and he was checked often. Big head for big brains=) I'll attach a pic of my lil man for you. I think he was maybe 6-8 months old.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1441059846885.jpg
    FB_IMG_1441059846885.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 6
lol at the big brains!!

He's so cute and his head looks perfect.

We are all different shapes. My friends kid had a huge head, so big they were worried he might have something wrong with him. Her and her Dh had to measure their heads and the hospital concluded her husband had an unusually large head and it was probably just genetic. Her kid still has a huge head but is fine. It caused her no issues for delivery.

The first thing they asked was if my DH had a large head. It doesn't seem disproportionate to me but they indicated that it is probably genetic.

My DS's head measured 36 weeks at my 31 week growth scan! Lol. Everything else measured pretty spot on. When I was induced at 39 weeks (for GD) I didn't have any trouble delivering him or his giant head. And I'm a pretty small lady. He turned out to only be 7 lbs 1 oz, so not a big baby by any means. And his head was only slightly larger than average!

Both DD and this one's head measured ahead. Their dad has a big head so I'm not surprised! I didn't think that one through before I married him!!

justplay - that is exactly the reassurance I needed. I'm also a pretty small lady.

lol WW

This is my current concern lol! I have had severe SPD from the early second trimester and at my growth scan 2 weeks ago at 32+4, LOs head measured 4 weekd ahead at 97th centile! I'm fecking terrified of pushing out a really big head with such bad SPD. Everything else measured pretty much on mark, apart from little legs �� His brother was the same though, measured really little legs but didnt come out looking disproportionate, he's just on the shorter side haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->