Health of child conceived from very late ovulation?

cl86

Reaction score
Hello ladies, first time poster here desperately hoping to get some insight/advice.

I am really upset and freaked out right now. I read some conflicting information online about whether conceiving w/ late ovulation (particular CD 20+) is associated with an increased likelihood of birth defects. I ovulated really late this cycle (CD 24 or 25), and I'm 3-4 days late for my period (currently CD 42, I typically have a 14-day luteal phase, but HPTs are still showing negative).

I was wondering if any of you conceived w/ late ovulation and if there were any negative effects on the health of your child? Sadly, I wasn't aware about the potential increased risk of birth defects associated with late ovulation when we were trying earlier this cycle, and now I don't know what to think and am beating myself up.

For some add'l background info, I'm 31 y/o w/ lean PCOS. My cycles have ranged anywhere from 28 to 39 days in the past year.

Please help if you can! It would be much appreciated. Thank you all.

I don't really know much about increased risk of birth defects. However, I used to have 35 day cycles with an 11 day LP.. Both of my girls came out healthy despite being preemie which was unrelated to my cycles. Try not to stress too much hun, there is a lot you can read online that rarely happens but it can still scare you. If you're 3-4 days late and over 14dpo you should be getting a :bfp: by now, what brand of tests are you using? You could also be off on when your ovulated, or in worst case it could be a chemical pregnancy that can sometimes happen when you're expected to get you period, but hcg is too low to detect on an hpt. It's hard to hear but you might have to just keep testing and play the waiting game :hugs:.

My Cycles are anywhere from 28 to 40 days (and I've had a couple of 50+ day cycles when stressed) and pretty sure when we conceived our daughter it was a later ovulation (between day 19 and 23) and she was born perfectly healthy.

I haven’t heard of birth defects from late ovulation. I didn’t know it was linked.
However I ovulated cd20 with my son and he has autism. It’s not genetically linked we’ve had genetic testing done. He’s absolutely perfect regardless.

With my son I ovulated on CD 23 with a 29-30 day cycle and he is perfectly healthy. I actually didn't believe the OPK because it was so late in my cycle, but since I hadn't had a positive OPK earlier in the month and I was having EWCM we decided to go for it. That was the one and only day that cycle we DTD and we conceived my son. Perfectly healthy pregnancy, perfectly healthy child.

My second child was conceived from a late ovulation. I did not track ovulation all those years ago, but my cycle was very regular so I knew what day it would be arriving.

With that said, I did not receive a positive with her until my period was 8 or 9 days late. She's now a happy, healthy, thriving 8 year old. <3

My 4th child was cd 100 and a perfectly healthy 9 yr old. I dont think it makes any difference. Its not like the egg has been released and is hanging around deteriorating or anything, just literally the whole ovulation proccess started later.

Thank you all so much for sharing your experiences! I feel so fortunate to have found this forum of such helpful and supportive women. :)

Just as an update, no BFP yet, but I happened to have an annual physical exam scheduled for today, so I asked to have a blood pregnancy test done. I'm still waiting on the results -- will update when I find out.

Thank you all again!

I don't really know much about increased risk of birth defects. However, I used to have 35 day cycles with an 11 day LP.. Both of my girls came out healthy despite being preemie which was unrelated to my cycles. Try not to stress too much hun, there is a lot you can read online that rarely happens but it can still scare you. If you're 3-4 days late and over 14dpo you should be getting a :bfp: by now, what brand of tests are you using? You could also be off on when your ovulated, or in worst case it could be a chemical pregnancy that can sometimes happen when you're expected to get you period, but hcg is too low to detect on an hpt. It's hard to hear but you might have to just keep testing and play the waiting game :hugs:.

I'm using some cheapo AccuMed HCG strips I bought from Amazon. They had really good reviews, but maybe they're not as sensitive/accurate as the big stick name brand ones? I had a blood HCG test done today during my annual physical though, so should find out soon anyway. Thanks so much for sharing your experience and for your advice. I really appreciate it. :)

I always ovulate around CD 20/21 with a 14 day LP and I have three children.

Agreeing with all the comments here - don't think late ovulation means the baby will be unwell in any sense.
My bestfriend got pregnant after a 65plus day cycle - she hadn't got her period for just over 2 months, but wasn't pregnant. They dud a scan to check her out and confirmed she had just recently ovulated a day or two earlier. A little over a week after this she got a positive pregnancy test. Her son is now a healthy 3 year old, with what I'd actually consider above average intelligence - my son was born on the exact same day, and her son was doing everything (smiling, crawling, walking, talking etc) well ahead of my son (& my son is also pretty switched on).

All of my kids were late ovulation babies. My first has autism and ADHD but I think a lot of that is to do with the genes in our family.

Well considering all cells are there from birth and just start developing into a follicle at any time doesnt make a difference whether the follicle was released on day 12 or on day 21 or 36 etc. it is not that the follicle takes 60 days to develop it just means the hormones peak at around the day which releases a follicle. after that it lives 3 days and thats it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->