Health questions (PCOS & hypothyroid)

Younginlove

Reaction score
Hey ladies. A little background, I'm 21. Married for a little over a year. Been TTC about the same amount of time lol. No luck (figures).. I have NO periods at all. Which I am sure most of you know hypothyroid and PCOS can both cause that. I have been diagnosed and am being treated for hypothyroid. I have NOT been diagnosed with PCOS. The last GYN I spoke with wanted to get me in to do an ultrasound to check but I don't have insurance atm for that and can't really afford to pay out of pocket at this time.

Anywho, this post have 2 parts.

First off, my medicine for my hypothyroid was increased almost 2 months ago to 125mcg. It has made me feel better! Yay! But also, still no periods but having cramps? I also feel like my breasts have gotten larger, or maybe more full. My best friend (the only one I can really talk to about it lol) also noticed this change. I'm really hoping my thyroid medicine in helping my hormones. I bleed extremely lightly once but nothing since.

Second, I am trying to get health insurance now. I'm shopping around and such. What I wanna know is will an OB GYN see me and help me with the PCOS and getting my periods on track? For health purposes? My friend told me NO insurance covers fertility treatment but I figure if I can get my periods on track and such I won't NEED the fertility treatment. (or at least I'm hoping). But my first step is to get my periods back on track so ... I need to know if insurance will cover that or if I HAVE to pay out of pocket.

All I have right now is Plan First Medicaid which is specifically to PREVENT pregnancy. The only reason I got it was so I could go to the clinic for an annual because I had NEVER been before and I thought if something was wrong they could help me at least a little.

So this is where I stand now, and any advice/help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, ladies. <3

:dust: to all of you. :flower:

I have hypothyroidism as well and was diagnosed with pcos in October. I also have no periods but they think its caused from me being on the shot. They said it can take up to 18 months to get out of my system. I asked them to regulate my period so they gave me a pill called provera. It works for some people but I did 4 months with no luck. I was told about an herbal supplement called black cohosh which can help you get a period. I did that for 3 months with no luck. My doctor prescribed my the pill last week it is supposed to regulate your period and control pcos symptoms. The idea is to do the pill for 3 months.. get a period and then try. They say you usually ovulate about 2 weeks from the first day of your period so do the pill to start monthly periods and try ovulation tests once you get a positive then nd. Good luck dont know if that helps but maybe you can ask about provera its not an expensive prescription or buy black cohosh. Wal-Mart has it for like 20.00 a bottle of 100.

I have PCOS and am currently taking an herb called vitex (angus castus) that is said to help balance hormones. I can't say if it is working yet as it is a slow acting herb. I did start spotting/lightly bleeding for 11 days about 5 days after starting it and have not bled since...I am hoping my body is gearing up to ovulate very soon. If I do ovulate in the next little bit then I would highly recommend this herb!

MrsNeher, every little bit of advice or information helps! So thank you for sharing! I'm going to get on some health insurance ASAP and try to find an OB GYN and talk to them about what's going on and maybe I'll get lucky on something like provera. I am sorry things aren't working as well for you and I do hope that changes soon! Good luck, honey!

Tmb0047, let me know how it goes for you! It's never bad to have options!

Good luck to both of you and lots and lots of :dust: <3 <3 <3

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->