Health visitor

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Third Trimester' started by 2bmum, Apr 17, 2009.

1. 2bmum

2bmum Me, my lil man + WTT 2011

Hope this is the right place for this?

I'm 33 weeks and last week I had a very abrupt call from the health visitor. I didn't even realise they came out before the baby was born?
    Didn't introduce herself, I had to ask who I was talking to.
    She asked if she could come that afternoon which was thursday before easter and she didn't call til 2pm. I said I'm afraid she couldnt as I had to go out, which was true, I had a doctors appointement. As soon as I said that she got a bit more snotty in her tone and said, well, I did send you a letter and I can't come until after easter now is 9am on the tuesday ok. I still suffer with awful morning sickness so I said to her I'd prefer an afternoon appointement if possible and that also I'd not received any letter from her. She sighed and said thursday (ie yesterday) at 1pm ok? I said yes thats fine. No goodbye, nothing, she just hung up.

It wasn't what she said, it was how she said it. Very abrubt and snotty. She didn't introduce herself, didn't explain why she was coming etc.

So yesterday, even though I had the opportunity to go out for a meal to the local pub and for the first time in weeks I'd only felt sick, not been sick in the morning I stayed at home. 1pm comes and goes, as does 2pm, 3pm comes and goes. Well you get the idea. Nobody showed up, nobody called and I have no contact number for her. I didn't have lunch until 2.30pm, thinking that if I had she'd probably turn up just as I sat down to eat. I've not been sleeping well and had been in hospital over the easter weekend and was supposed to be resting but didn't go to bed dispite feeling poorly in the afternoon just incase she turned up.

What a great first impression. Not had any phonecalls from her today either to explain why she didn't come or to make another appointement.

Has anyone else had experiences like this with health visitors? Are they always like this? As this is my first child I have no idea. Also what is the point of the visit before the baby is born?

2. Eoz

Eoz Mummy of 5! Eeek!

Sometimes they do like to check the house out and give you safety advice.Not sure if this was the case for you though hun.No need for her to be rude though xx

Rereading your post.I'm a bit unsure now as it sounds dodgy xxx

3. honey08

honey08 mum2two boys/2mc

very odd, i wud be fuming hun !! i dont know, but i know i wud be extrembley pissed off if someone phoned not saying who they were etc ..... i wud get intouch with mw asap and ask who it was, like 4thbump said, sounds weird especially as u never got a letter and she didnt turn up :? x

4. Babydance

Babydance Well-Known Member

sounds like she rang the wrong person, but she sounds like a right witch! xxx

5. 2bmum

2bmum Me, my lil man + WTT 2011

thanks guys, glad it isn't too common. I'm seeing the mw on tues so if I've heared nothing from the 'hv' by then I'll see what she's got to say about it

6. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Mum of 2

I thought they must of rung the wrong person when they rang to come see me when i was preg with my dd lol.

She sounds very rude. I know their job probably sometimes means they get caught up and can't make it but she could of least rung you to let you know why today if she couldn't yesterday.

7. sophiecouldwe

sophiecouldwe Well-Known Member

sorry you had such bad experience! she sounds so rude. i had health visitor booked for this tuesday thats just gone and she never showed etha!!! i was so mad cos i sat around waiting and waiting with noooooo phone call or anything. really fustrating. i have got another appointment booked for this tuesday so hopefully she will show this time xx

8. thelilbump

thelilbump ♥ mummy to a princess ♥

that's a bit weird. u might want to phone them and find out whats going on, make sure it was nothing dodgy and explain to them it was all a bit weird

9. NoSpringChick

NoSpringChick Well-Known Member

I'm sure she was a health visitor.... but for me personally, no one is just coming to my house to see my baby unless I KNOW for sure she is who she says she is. I want to know it's official and not some baby snatcher! and a random phone call is not doing it for me.